Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

John Kerry travels to Nigeria, meets with Presidential Candidates

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • John Kerry travels to Nigeria, meets with Presidential Candidates

    LAGOS, Nigeria—Secretary of State John Kerry, moving to prevent another key U.S. counterterrorism ally from collapsing under a militant insurgency, on Sunday warned Nigeria’s top two presidential candidates that future military assistance will depend on February’s election being peaceful and transparent.

    Mr. Kerry’s separate meetings in Nigeria’s financial capital with President Goodluck Jonathan and his political opponent, retired Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, coincided with the launch of a major offensive by Islamist insurgency Boko Haram in Maiduguri, the largest city in Nigeria’s northeast.

    At least 100 suspected Boko Haram terrorists were killed as the country’s military fought to repel the assault, a local vigilante and a military official said.


    more,

    http://www.wsj.com/articles/boko-har...ity-1422191728




    Nigeria's President, Goodluck Jonathan, 2nd right, walks with U.S. Secretary of State, John Kerry, 2nd left, on his arrival at the State House in Lagos, Nigeria, Sunday, Jan. 25, 2015. In a rare high-level visit to Africa's most populous country, U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry on Sunday urged Nigeria's leading presidential candidates to refrain from fomenting violence after next month's vote, and he condemned savage attacks by Boko Haram, an al-Qaida-linked insurgency. (AP Photo/Akintunde Akinleye, Pool)

    more,

    http://news.yahoo.com/nigeria-kerry-...100209571.html

  • #2
    Another domino, of the 700 most Dangerous Days America Has Ever Faced, may soon fall. http://abcnews.go.com/International/...geria-28638802
    “Breaking News,”

    “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

    Comment


    • #3
      These famous 700 days are more dangerous than the days following December the 7th 1941 ??
      That rug really tied the room together

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by sebfrench76 View Post
        These famous 700 days are more dangerous than the days following December the 7th 1941 ??
        What are the 700 days? These are the days left that Obama can legally remain President. Day one started January 20th with his State of the Union speech.

        What makes them so dangerous?
        1. Obama faces a Republican controlled congress that will attempt to undo all of his social experiments that threaten to bankrupt the country. Rather then compormise with them as Clinton did, he will proceed to veto and lash out at every piece of legislation they send for him to sign. He will also continue to abuse Executive Orders in order to get his way.
        2. Obama, who thinks that he can do no wrong, continues to lash out at his critics and blame Republicans for his failures.
        3. Obama is rapidly losing support of his worshiping media and most but the hard core of Progressives supporters.
        4. He has lost all respect from world leaders including those he has been trying to play nice with.
        5. He is rapidly losing respect with military personnel.
        6. His appeasement policy with Terrorist has resulted in destabilization in Libya, Syria, Iraq, Nigeria, Yemen, and a host of other countries in the region.
        7. He has totally pissed off the Prime Minister of Israel.
        8. Iran is well on its way to getting the bomb and has already developed an ICBM that can hit the US as well as Israel which they have vowed to destroy.
        9. His comments and actions before getting the facts, has greatly fostered racial hatred in the country among the increasing population of "Have Nots."
        10. Europe is on the verge of total bankruptcy with Islamic Terrorism, Nazism, and other extremist groups growing in support daily. The US is not far behind from experiencing a total economic collapse from its shrinking work force, exploding numbers of people getting some kind of public assistance, excessive deficit spending and fabricating money to pay for it all.
        11. With Russia promoting expansion of its influence in the Ukraine, Iran supporting Terrorist in the Middle East and North Africa, China rapidly building up its military so they can exert their influence in the Pacific, and North Korea starving to death, we are getting very close to an all out world war.

        In short, it could soon "hit the fan" worldwide as a result of a President that is in way over his head and in total denial of what is happening around him.
        “Breaking News,”

        “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

        Comment


        • #5
          It's still no where near as dangerous as the first two years of World War Two.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by SRV Ron View Post
            What are the 700 days? These are the days left that Obama can legally remain President. Day one started January 20th with his State of the Union speech.

            What makes them so dangerous?
            1. Obama faces a Republican controlled congress that will attempt to undo all of his social experiments that threaten to bankrupt the country. Rather then compormise with them as Clinton did, he will proceed to veto and lash out at every piece of legislation they send for him to sign. He will also continue to abuse Executive Orders in order to get his way.
            2. Obama, who thinks that he can do no wrong, continues to lash out at his critics and blame Republicans for his failures.
            3. Obama is rapidly losing support of his worshiping media and most but the hard core of Progressives supporters.
            4. He has lost all respect from world leaders including those he has been trying to play nice with.
            5. He has lost respect with military personnel.
            6. His appeasement policy with Terrorist has resulted in destabilization in Libya, Syria, Iraq, Nigeria, Yemen, and a host of other countries in the region.
            7. He has totally pissed off the Prime Minister of Israel.
            8. Iran is well on its way to getting the bomb and has already developed an ICBM that can hit the US as well as Israel which they have vowed to destroy.
            9. His comments and actions before getting the facts, has greatly fostered racial hatred in the country among the increasing population of "Have Nots."
            10. Europe is on the verge of total bankruptcy with Islamic Terrorism, Nazism, and other extremist groups growing in support daily. The US is not far behind from experiencing a total economic collapse from its shrinking work force, exploding numbers of people getting some kind of public assistance, excessive deficit spending and fabricating money to pay for it all.
            11. With Russia promoting expansion of its influence in the Ukraine, Iran supporting Terrorist in the Middle East and North Africa, China rapidly building up its military so they can exert their influence in the Pacific, and North Korea starving to death, we are getting very close to an all out world war.

            In short, it could soon "hit the fan" worldwide as a result of a President that is in way over his head and in total denial of what is happening around him.
            I only need to correct you one item Ron and I fixed that for You.
            Trying hard to be the Man, that my Dog believes I am!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by johns624 View Post
              It's still no where near as dangerous as the first two years of World War Two.
              Those living in North Africa, the Middle East, and parts of Europe might just be in disagreement with your statement. Those in Europe that lived through WW2 are already very alarmed at seeing history repeating itself with the economic events and civil unrest looking very familiar to what took place prior to 1939 when Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union invaded Poland.
              “Breaking News,”

              “Something irrelevant in your life just happened and now we are going to blow it all out of proportion for days to keep you distracted from what's really going on.”

              Comment


              • #8
                Yeah Ron, and from your previous posts it's obvious that you don't give a damn about any of those people.

                Comment


                • #9
                  That's just absurd. A few countries fighing large scale insurgencies and the Russians running a proxy invasion of Ukraine is NOTHING compared to the things that were going on in the 1930s and 40s. Most of the major problems in the world today are relatively minor compared to most of the 20th century and they largely only exist because they're not enough of a nuisance to prod us into action. Japan was a Mich greater threat than any Islamist, to say nothing of Germany and the Soviet Union.
                  "Artillery lends dignity to what might otherwise be a vulgar brawl." - Frederick the Great

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by frisco17 View Post
                    That's just absurd. A few countries fighing large scale insurgencies and the Russians running a proxy invasion of Ukraine is NOTHING compared to the things that were going on in the 1930s and 40s.
                    Well, you are right, if we compare today with the 1940s.
                    Now, what if we compare today with the 1933-1938 time frame?

                    Civil wars - check.
                    Colonial wars - check.
                    Annexations - check.
                    Former empire states who have suffered recently setbacks and amputations now looking for a comeback - check.
                    The economies of said states overheating and soon forcing them to either back down or risk all, going for broke? - mmm....

                    Most of the major problems in the world today are relatively minor compared to most of the 20th century and they largely only exist because they're not enough of a nuisance to prod us into action. Japan was a Mich greater threat than any Islamist, to say nothing of Germany and the Soviet Union.
                    You are entirely right here, but of course your assessment of the threats represented by Japan, Germany, the Soviet Union (and Italy) in the 1930s is based on hindsight. How many people would have said pretty much the same thing ("not enough of a nuisance") of some/all of these players in 1936?
                    Michele

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Michele View Post

                      You are entirely right here, but of course your assessment of the threats represented by Japan, Germany, the Soviet Union (and Italy) in the 1930s is based on hindsight. How many people would have said pretty much the same thing ("not enough of a nuisance") of some/all of these players in 1936?
                      Because, those were First World nations with armies and money. Most of the problems today (except Russia), are caused by smaller nations who can be annoying but can't project power or influence.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by johns624 View Post
                        Because, those were First World nations with armies and money. Most of the problems today (except Russia), are caused by smaller nations who can be annoying but can't project power or influence.
                        Hmmm. Maybe. Japan and Italy in the 1930s hardly seem to me to have been on par with Britain, Germany and the SU, let alone the USA, when it comes to industrial and economic resources. Sure they had the armies, but at what cost in terms of percentages to their GNPs.
                        Michele

                        Comment

                        Latest Topics

                        Collapse

                        Working...
                        X