Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ebola kills at least [8,641] in West Africa - WHO [updated]

Reuters Videos 1:40 mins
    Western Africa hit with the worst outbreak of Ebola since the disease first surfaced in 1976. Deborah Gembara reports.
    http://news.yahoo.com/video/ebola-ki...183649726.html

From what I read earlier, the mortality rate is about 70%.
    Last edited by GCoyote; 23 Jan 15, 11:50.
    Any metaphor will tear if stretched over too much reality.

Questions about our site? See the FAQ.

Only a matter of time before we get hit by a super-bug pandemic. One that because of widespread misuse of antibiotics and mass international travel and migration will far outstrip the Spanish Flu pandemic, sad to say.

Comment

Originally posted by Wooden Wonder View Post
      Only a matter of time before we get hit by a super-bug pandemic. One that because of widespread misuse of antibiotics and mass international travel and migration will far outstrip the Spanish Flu pandemic, sad to say.
      Maybe, but it won't be Ebola. Too hard to catch, too quick to kill. This thing is spreading in part because the people involved are ignoring health warnings & doing things that expose them, like preparing the bodies of people who have died in ways that expose them to the disease. Same thing happened in the first Ebola outbreak. That one was kicked off by a vaccination clinic re-using metal syringes & kicked along by funerary rites.

This thing will be contained in time. Now, if a strain of Ebola Reston (air transmissible) emerges that kills people more slowly & doesn't show symptoms for longer we may have a problem.
      Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

I don't think virus infections have much to do with overuse of antibiotics, do they, WW? Antibiotics aren't used in the case of Ebola or any other viral disease as they don't work at all. I'm reading there is only supportive therapy being given: rehydration and feeding. So that the death rate is only 7 out of 10 inst. of 9 out of 10.....................

This SHOULD be an easy disease to ringfence, but I was reading that it's harder in the area it's in now because of greater mobility.

I cannot see this spreading, not seriously, out of really primitive countries in Africa. If a case got to New York, they know how to stop it by isolating people.

It would be nice if there were a vaccine, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Phebe View Post
          I don't think virus infections have much to do with overuse of antibiotics, do they, WW?
          Nothing whatsoever I'd say.
          Human beings are the only creatures on Earth that claim a god and the only living thing that behaves like it hasn't got one - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

The virus is a killer and to my mind the most deadly on the planet. However, the virus is not robust and generally speaking, when it breaks out it also burns out quickly if the precautions are followed.

It is a nasty little bugger. From what I have read, victims bleed to death internally and from every aperture in the human body. The internal organs literally rot, stopping normal bodily functions.

Sincerely,
            M
            We are not now that strength which in old days
            Moved earth and heaven; that which we are we are; One equal temper of heroic hearts
            Made weak by time and fate but strong in will
            To strive to seek to find and not to yield.

Comment

Originally posted by BF69 View Post
              Nothing whatsoever I'd say.
              Yup, that comes down to 'antivirals'.

The truth is that certain viruses AND certain bacteria are currently 'deadly', but that it is the widespread abuse of antibiotic use and subsequent rises of resistant bacteria that appears to hold the greatest potential danger at present.

Comment

Only good thing about ebola is that it makes the infect imolizsed fast and kills fast. Hence it will spread in a vilage fast and wipe it out.

I still rember the plot for 2 of tom clancy's books used biological attack with a mdified strain of airborn ebola.
                you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

The US is being invaded by all kinds of sickness from our southern neighbors. We are being constantly assaulted by foreign bugs, and microbes.

Comment

We get cases of Tuberculosis and even Leprosy that come with immigrants and those who come back from visiting relatives in their native countries.

It keeps The London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine on it's toes.

Comment

Well the europeans brough death to the native americans. I guess they returning the favour.
                      you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

If we had any brains we'd not let people in from plague areas. You brits got it better than us. We have a huge land border both to the south and the north.

I wish we had the stomach to close the border to the south. But both Repugnant-cans and Demo-scats like illegal immigrants...
                        Credo quia absurdum.

Quantum mechanics describes nature as absurd from the point of view of common sense. And yet it fully agrees with experiment. So I hope you can accept nature as She is - absurd! - Richard Feynman

Comment

I think the MERS -- Saudi camel virus disease -- is more dangerous than Ebola. It's very like SARS and that nearly got out across the world.

Now the news is saying that the Saudis claim the virus comes from camels brought in from "Africa" --- I don't really believe that. Isn't Saudi Arabia camel heaven? I don't think they have camels much further south.

MERS is constantly getting out now. We even had a couple cases here in the U.S., from Americans contracted to work in Saudi Arabia coming home.

Comment

POST REMOVED FOR RACIST COMMENT
                            -ACG Staff Duncan
                            Last edited by Duncan; 28 Jun 14, 23:16.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
                              Well the europeans brough death to the native americans. I guess they returning the favour.
                              That is true, but don't forget the American Indians returned the favor. Syphilis hit Spain hard.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X