Announcement

Collapse

New Site - PLEASE READ

Hello All,
My name is Ashley and I am the one that moved the forum to its new hosting location. This was done for security reasons and try to keep the forum from going down every other day. I understand that the new forum looks very different from the old one but I promise almost everything you had before you still have it might just be in a different place.

Items that are gone due to a limitation of the new hosting/ forum update:
- Awards
- Flags

As I was going thought your posts I was able to fix a lot fo the issues you were listing. Below is kind of a running list of issues an what is fixed and what I am still working on.

Items that I have fixed from your comments:
- Smilie are now working.
- Color/Theme changes
- Signature are now showing up. (Here is how to edit them https://screencast.com/t/OJHzzhiV1)
- Ranking is now showing up.
- Private messaging is now working.

Some issues I am still working on are:
- Missing items from the Calendar
- Like button the posts is giving an error.

One other note I have seen a lot is theme/color related items. I know this is important to all of you but at the moment the most important thing was getting you back a functioning forum with as many features I can get you back from before.

Theme/color is something we can change but it the moment I do not have the time and resources to fix all of the issue and design the site. I did do some theme updates yesterday but it is very time consuming. Please just be patient with the forum as we get it back to as close as I can to what you had before.

If anyone has any issues that they are running in to please let me know in the post below. Please give me as much detail as possible .
https://forums.armchairgeneral.com/forum/world-history-group-welcomes-you/armchair-general-magazine/5034776-new-site-please-read
See more
See less

Boko Haram

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unless thy come to kill you or enslave your children
    Very true. A wider issue is also the longer they stay active the more support / recruits then tend to garner both locally and - in the case of IS - internationally. that is why it is in the interests of non-MENA countries to kill IS from a domestic security standpoint.
    History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

• As I said these organisations are like bindweed or Japanese knotweed unless you get every fragment they grow back somewhere eventually which is why various "bomb the bastards" utterances are simplistic self delusions. All that does is distribute them more widely as well as killing many who who were already living in the same area whose survivors are then also radicalised.

Getting rid of them is going to be a long, painstaking and probably expensive task. You have to get rid of the roots.
      Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
      Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• "bomb the bastards" utterances are simplistic self delusions
        Can be one way of stopping it spreading, if not of solving the underlying issues.
        History is not tragedy; to understand historical reality, it is sometimes better to not know the end of the story.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluenose View Post
          Can be one way of stopping it spreading, if not of solving the underlying issues.
          Usually merely disperses it and the collateral casualties provide additional propaganda material for its advocates and proselytizers
          Human history becomes more and more a race between education and catastrophe (H G Wells)
          Mit der Dummheit kaempfen Goetter selbst vergebens (Friedrich von Schiller)

Comment

• Usually merely disperses it and the collateral casualties provide additional propaganda material for its advocates and proselytizers
            If it kills commanders, disrupts operations and puts them on the back foot both in terms of capability and fulfillment of their messianic promises (ie IS's claims of a MENA-wide caliphate come to a screeching halt), then it is useful. It reduces rate of expansion and may affect their recruiting potential.

But by itself, I agree, it is very unlikely to solve the problem.

Pierre Vidal-Naquet

Comment

• Originally posted by MarkV View Post
              Usually merely disperses it and the collateral casualties provide additional propaganda material for its advocates and proselytizers
              Doing nothing isn't going to stop it either. If you kill enough leaders, and they lose enough followers, the supply of volunteers might start to dry up. After a while, volunteers might start having second thoughts if becomes very likely they are going to die. It one thing to talk about a possibiliyt of death, it is another thing to face a near certainty.

Libya was a center of sponsoring terrorist acts, but after being attacked by the US in retaliation, Gaddafi quieted down, and you didn't hear much about Gaddafi anymore. The Ben Laden's are conduction the suicide bombing themselves, the ISIS leaders and the like get others to commit suicide. But there are not an infinite supply of terrorist leaders or would be suicide bombers, and if you kill enough of them off, maybe the radical Muslims will run out of both.

Very difficult, I know, since much of the root problem is deeply rooted in Islam itself, there are traditional aspects of Islam that csn be used to promote that kind of terrorist actions. The portrait of the Muhammad painted by even the authentic Hadiths can by some be interpreted as supporting is terrorist acts - a man who had people killed just for criticizing him,who killed and enslaved people who did not threaten him, who sanctioned robbery of enemies. What ISIS is doing is, unfortunately, many of the things Muhammad himself is portrayed as doing in some hadiths.. Still, the Muslim world can reject these hadiths, even if they are traditional, and repudiate the actions of Muhammad, saying they no longer have a place in the modern world. Kill off enough of the radicals, and that will leave the moderates.
              Last edited by bart dale; 23 Jan 17, 20:07.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X