Umkonto we Sizwe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Umkonto we Sizwe

With the death of Mandela I wondered if anyone has any thoughts on the role, performance or effectiveness of Umkhonto we Sizwe?

Their role with guerrillas outside of South Africa would be of particular interest.

http://www.issafrica.org/uploads/OURSELVESNGCULU2.PDF

http://samilitaryhistory.org/vol115rw.html

Typo in the title.
    Last edited by GCoyote; 07 Dec 13, 18:17.
    "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
    G.B Shaw

"They promised us homes fit for heroes, they give us heroes fit for homes."
    Grandad, Only Fools and Horses

http://www.thetruthaboutsouthafrica....-humanity.html

Someone sent me this link today, but I haven't gotten the time to read it...

Comment

The Quatro camp with its torture and murders is well-known. A disgusting place.
      "Patriotism is your conviction that this country is superior to all other countries because you were born in it"
      G.B Shaw

Comment

MK never really threatened the security forces of the apartheid regime, a bigger threat was a populist uprising. MK has is ANC members with military training where only able to plant a few Mines and conduct the odd bombing. MK basic solders were poorly trained for the most part and need a lot of training before being integrated with the new SANDF.
        you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
          MK never really threatened the security forces of the apartheid regime, a bigger threat was a populist uprising. MK has is ANC members with military training where only able to plant a few Mines and conduct the odd bombing. MK basic solders were poorly trained for the most part and need a lot of training before being integrated with the new SANDF.
          I do not think anyone, either within the ANC or MK ranks or outside, thought that the armed struggle would militarily defeat the South African military. It had other goals aside from outright defeat of its opponent.

They fought in a number of conflicts outside of South African borders.
          G.B Shaw

Comment

no matter where MK fought they where never able to stand up the SA.
            you think you a real "bleep" solders you "bleep" plastic solders don't wory i will make you in to real "bleep" solders!! "bleep" plastic solders

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Originally posted by andrewza View Post
              no matter where MK fought they where never able to stand up the SA.
              That is hardly surprising though is it. You have a regional powerhouse and conventional military force against a group of guerrillas set up and building up from scratch. As I understand it the armed struggle was seen as one part of a wider set of strategies to make South Africa ungovernable.

Note that I am not defending MK's effectiveness - I do not currently know enough to do so or not. From what I know they suffered high casualties as well. But they fought in Zimbabwe, Angola and various campaigns as well did they not - again not sure how well they are considered to have done there.
              G.B Shaw

Comment

The ANC has a whole was successful, i mean they did win. Though MK was rather ineffective.

They could never match SWAPO, angola or the foreign forces.

CPO Mzinyati

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X