World at War & Victory at Sea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OpanaPointer View Post
    True, but if The World at War had waited a few years they could have added two more episodes on the code work alone. (The "Magic" documents came out about the same time.)

Don't we call that "Hindsight".
    "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
      Don't we call that "Hindsight".
      Yeppers, or "wishful thinking". I wonder if they could do a 2nd Gen. version with updated material?
      Hyperwar: World War II on the World Wide Web
      Hyperwar, Whats New
      World War II Resources
      The best place in the world to "work".

Comment

Yeppers, or "wishful thinking". I wonder if they could do a 2nd Gen. version with updated material?
        Have you ever seen something done twice that was better than the original?

Come to think of it, I did just last night on German TV. The new filming of "All quite on the Western Front" with John Thomas. I think that might qualify as being better. But in general that is the exception and not the rule.
        "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

Have you ever seen something done twice that was better than the original?

Come to think of it, I did just last night on German TV. The new filming of "All quite on the Western Front" with John Thomas. I think that might qualify as being better. But in general that is the exception and not the rule.
          Using CGI to accurately reproduce battles would be superior to haphazard filming by cameramen who were as scared as anybody else on the battlefield. But then we'd be facing a total re-imagining of the material, wouldn't we? I've seen a lot of lame attempts to do this in the past five or so years, but I'd like to see WETA do Kursk or D-Day at Normandy.
          Hyperwar, Whats New
          World War II Resources

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee View Post
            May I suggest two more the BBC's World At War and the American TV's Victory at sea .
            I'm going to be off work for a few weeks. I just picked up these along with A Century of Warfare to aid my recovery.
            AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
            The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Hello,
              just thought i would drop in a few lines here.....
              i have seen and own both Victory at Sea and World At War. I also have the soundtrack for Victory at Sea - super excellent.

the problem with both series is they generally only cover a particular area.
              VaS is mainly focusing on theefforts of the allied and axis navies at sea - thus the title , While WaW is mainly looking at the British Effort or view - though they do give credit where credit is due.

and if they had known more about the enigma/magic ciphers at the time im sure it would have worked them in better. and as for colorizing them .... please heaven forbid.

I would like to suggest 3 other series that would greatly enhance the WWII documentary experience with WaW and VaS.
              1. Crusade in the Pacific - a bit propagandish but excellent i think.
              2. The Big Battles - i have this one and it is a solid good series,
              covers different areas of the War.
              3. The Unknown War - this one is pretty good , although it does only
              concentrate on the effort of the Soviet/Russian Forces during the
              War....this was narrated by Burt Lancaster.
              the first 2 are available at places like best buy and even on ebay and
              such , the last one The Unknown War , i have not seen offered.
              well thats my 2 pennies worth .
              and just as a last bit for my money the greatest generation is all those that have ever served in defense of this country.

Comment

Victory at Sea & World at War

I have seen both, and I have the Victory at Sea series and the Unknown War. All of these documentries are excellent and I enjoy them all. In regards to colorizing them, I would certainly hope not. I also have the entire Victory at Sea soundtrack. One of my favorites.

Comment

Crusade in the Pacific is available for instant view on Netflix. Popcorn and beer and the wife can do Farmville or something.
                  Hyperwar, Whats New
                  World War II Resources

Comment

Crusade in the Pacific is available for instant view on Netflix. Popcorn and beer and the wife can do Farmville or something.
                    That is one OUTSTANDING documentary! So much captured Japanese film footage that I've never seen before. First time I ever heard of it! Thanks for sharing!
                    "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Originally posted by johnbryan View Post
                      That is one OUTSTANDING documentary! So much captured Japanese film footage that I've never seen before. First time I ever heard of it! Thanks for sharing!
                      I used it when I helped teach the WWII class at Purdue. The ROTC folks would come to me after class and ask about certain things that would have been overkill in the full meeting. It became routine to meet with them and discuss the "hard core" issues that were skimmed over. We had access to an unused classroom in University Hall which had A/V equipment, so we could watch videos when they were applicable. Lots of fun trying to keep up with that bunch of sharp minds.
                      Hyperwar, Whats New
                      World War II Resources

Comment

I was fortunate to see them as more or less first run on TV back in the mid-late 50's. [email protected] as my favorite, great music score.
                        I remember staying up late on weeknights as a teenager back in the mid 70s to watch World at War. I believe it is one of the greatest docs ever made. Victory at Sea is awesome too.

For a recent documentary, Battle 360 about the Enterprise is one of my favorites to come out in a long time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X