The Holocaust

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Holocaust

1939. Jewish Life in Bialystok, Poland. Narration in Yiddish.

Due to difficulties in reading the subtitled text, I have reproduced them as follows:

0:43 - 1:01. Bialystok is a relatively young city. It stands on the site of the estate of Count Branicki [pronounced - Branitski], who established a town on his lands. The Jewish community in Bialystok is 200 years old.
    1:07. We are now in the heart of the city.
    1.19 - 1:30. City Hall. This clock tower was built by a famous Jewish scholar and clockmaker.
    1:35 - 1:42. Below are Jewish shops passed through generations.
    2:12 - 2:18. Market day. Peasants gather to sell their produce.
    2:33 - 2:36. Jews try to eke out a living.
    2:49 - 2:56. Young musicians practicing to become a Heifetz or Menuhin. You never know - it has happened before.
    3:02 - 3:09. The Alte Shul - the old Synagogue. The women's section was built by Countess Branicka.
    3:20 - 3:23. The beautiful Choral Synagogue with its oriental cupola.
    3:46 - 3:50. The Jewish Community Council building.
    3:59 - 4:06. Dr. Zamenhof, the creator of Esperanto, was born here.
    4:10 - 4:18. The "Regimental" Bes-medresh, so named because a regiment of soldiers played at its dedication.
    4:23 - 4:28.The Sholem Aleichem Library houses 20,000 Yiddish books.
    4:38 - 4:43. The Tarbut High School has 600 students.
    4:56 - 5:03. The vocational school, named for philanthropist Wissotzky.
    5:20 - 5:35. Bialystok factories. Textiles produced here are distributed world-wide.
    6:18. Jewish weavers.
    6:55 - 7:00. The TOZ Sanitorium, founded by Mr. and Mrs. Friling.
    7:16 - 7:20. The children's summer camp is spacious and lovely.
    7:40 - 7:54. Here, poor children enjoy a taste of heaven. They can eat their fill. These children are the future beauties of Bialystok.
    8:06 - 8:12. These young coquettes know that they're beautiful.
    8:20 - 8:39. In Bialystok, you must taste the local delicacies. This little boy is eating a Bialystok roll with appetite.
    8:46 - 8:51. A beautiful park - once the garden of the Branicki Palace.
    9:05 - 9:20. Bialystok girls stroll among the flowers, dreaming of American husbands. American husbands are very desirable. Come visit Bialystok - you won't regret it.

Great movie, made me a bit teary....

It's funny-but I just discovered I can understand some Yiddish

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
      Great movie, made me a bit teary....

It's funny-but I just discovered I can understand some Yiddish
      Yes, a combination of German, Hebrew, Polish and Russian. I can follow it somewhat well with my German....then suddenly...become incomprehensible.

There are actually five of these films - L'vov, Krakow, Warsaw, Vilna and Bialystok. I have all of these, but only this one is still in its original state. The other four now have English voice over and the removal of some of the original soundtrack. They were made by two brothers in Warsaw who owned a small film company, Spektor Films. A sixth film was made of the Jewish community in Lodz, but this film is now lost.

Comment

I would really appreciate it if you could post the Krakow one as well,
        My grandfather was born in that county.

Comment

Originally posted by Golani View Post
          I would really appreciate it if you could post the Krakow one as well,
          My grandfather was born in that county.
          I'll see if I can do that.

Comment

1933 Nazi boycott of Jewish shops

April 1, 1933. On April 1, 1933, the Nazis carried out the first nationwide, planned action against Jews: a boycott targeting Jewish businesses and professionals. The boycott was both a reprisal and an act of revenge prompted by Greuelpropaganda (atrocity stories) that German and foreign Jews, assisted by foreign journalists, were allegedly circulating in the international press to damage Nazi Germany's reputation.

Comment

This is a great idea for a thread Skob. The videos add so much more to assisting in understanding the times than words and still pictures alone can.

Comment

September 1941. Le Juif et la France

Translation from : http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Juif_et_la_France

The Juif et la France [The Jews and France] was an exhibition which took place from 5 September 1941 to 15 January 1942 during the Second World War. It was organized by the Institute for the Study of Jewish Questions. The exhibition drew on the work by George Montandon, a professor at the School of Anthropology of Paris and author of the work How to recognize a Jew, published in November 1940. The exhibition claimed to be "scientific".

It was held at the Palais Berlitz in Paris. It presented facial representations corresponding to Jewish anti-Semitic stereotypes, such as the hooked-nose or dirty hair. It was used by the Vichy government to help the French "recognize the physical characteristics of the Jews". Approximately 200,000 people visited the exhibit.

Behind a seemingly educational front, the exhibition was propaganda designed to support the principle of ethnic cleansing.

Comment

Disturbing thread yet unfortunately necessary.
                  Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                    Disturbing thread yet unfortunately necessary.
                    All too true .
                    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
                    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X