X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Skoblin
    replied
    1941 Stuka-Angriff Auf La Valetta

January 29, 1941. Deutsche Wochenschau No. 543. Stuka-Angriff Auf La Valetta

The German and Italian battle flags flutter from a single flagpole at an airfield in southern Italy. German and Italian pilots are leading together the struggle against the British naval patrols in the Mediterranean. On the tarmac, German and Italian aircraft are at the ready. Junker JU-87 dive-bombers are loaded up. The formation begins to taxi. In tight formation they head south. The target is Malta: the British Mediterranean base. The target has been reached. Below us is La Valetta, Malta. This is the most important British naval base between Gibraltar and the Suez Canal. Bombs away on the harbour of La Valetta. Here, among others, the British aircraft carrier Illustrious has been hit by the bombs of our Stukas and heavily damaged. The attack of our Luftwaffe in the Mediterranean has taken the British by surprise. The British press reports that the German and Italian bombers have already hit the British Mediterranean fleet hard.

Leave a comment:

• Canuckster
    replied
    Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
    Skoblin I only now see this thread....I will send you the translations during the day...Nice videos really
    Thanks a million Nikolas for the translations !!!

It is so much more interesting having an idea on how these events were presented to their audiences of the day.

Rep coming your way !

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    1941 German-Italian Aerial Co-operation

January 1941. Giornale Italie. Corpo Aereo Tedesco in Italia

Translation by nikolas93TS
    The German Air Corps in Italy spends its rest time engaging in tourism with our Italian hosts. Our Carabinieri (Police term, once used for military police) and young Avangardistis (Fascist youth 14-17 years of age) serve as improvised guides.
    On one airfield loaned to the Germans, lunch is accompanied by music and songs on the part of air force personnel. Officials share their meal with the soldiers.
    Radio and telegraph serviceman at work in a command center. Pilots study the Mediterranean routes.

Last edited by Skoblin; 06 Oct 09, 15:19.

Leave a comment:

• Nick the Noodle
    replied
    Thanks to you all! I was bit busy yesterday,so I finished only 3 videos,but today I will send the rest
    Rep also on route .

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Originally posted by Haken View Post
    And a half-hearted attack from a ridiculous long range.
    British dry-humor at it's best.

Leave a comment:

• Haken
    replied
    Originally posted by Torien View Post
    Very colorful language. Liked the "unmolested Malta" and "daring airmen".

And did he actually say "Wops" at about 1 minute?

Thanks for the great videos!
    And a half-hearted attack from a ridiculous long range.

Leave a comment:

• nikolas93TS
    replied
    Originally posted by skoblin View Post
    Thanks Nik, and your first three translations have been inserted in the thread.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...96&postcount=1

Let's get some rep sent Nik's way for his contributions.
    Originally posted by Torien View Post
    Thanks Nik! Rep on the way.
    Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
    Rep has been delivered.
    Thanks to you all! I was bit busy yesterday,so I finished only 3 videos,but today I will send the rest

Leave a comment:

• R. Evans
    replied

Rep has been delivered.

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Skoblin I only now see this thread....I will send you the translations during the day...Nice videos really

Thanks Nik! Rep on the way.

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    Skoblin I only now see this thread....I will send you the traducement during the day...Nice videos really

Leave a comment:

• nikolas93TS
    replied
    Last edited by nikolas93TS; 30 Sep 09, 12:09.

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    1941 Ark Royal on patrol

January 9, 1941. This newsreel shows the Ark Royal on patrol in the Western Mediterranean. Although not claimed in the video, I have guesstimated this to be film coverage of the Battle of Cape Spartivento from 27 November 1940. This is based upon the presence of the HMS Berwick - the only British county-class cruiser in the Mediterranean at this time (time frame 0:33-0:38 in the foreground)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Spartivento

Leave a comment:

• Torien
    replied
    Very colorful language. Liked the "unmolested Malta" and "daring airmen".

And did he actually say "Wops" at about 1 minute?

Thanks for the great videos!

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    1941 The British Mediterranen Fleet

January 6, 1941. Scenes of the British Mediterranean Fleet at Alexandria, Malta and on convoy duty. Cameos of the aircraft carrier, HMS Illustrious, and an Australian destroyer (probably the HMAS Stuart or one of the V-class destroyers - Voyager or Vampire).

Leave a comment:

• Skoblin
    replied
    Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
    Nice film. Still a contentious issue.
    Still surprised it never led to a formal declaration of war on the part of Vichy France. The scenes of the one ship being blown apart are that of the Bretagne.

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X