The Mediterranean 1940-1944

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Italian bombing raid on Haifa

October 8, 1940. Giornale Italie No. 81. Italian bomber squadrons head out over the eastern Mediterranean to bomb the British port of Haifa in Palestine.

Translation by nikolas93TS
    Our air-force does not allow the enemy a moment's rest - even in the Eastern Mediterranean. Squadrons of bombers are taking off to British bases.
    Flight over Aegean, towards their objectives. In the waters near Cyprus, an enemy convoy is spotted. Four transports are hit by our bombs.
    Now, on to Haifa: Center of oil industry and resupply base for British naval forces.
    There is Haifa. Enormous fuel depots are hit by a rain of our bombs and set on fire. The great refineries have also been hit by our bombers.
    The flames continue to spread, visible from many miles in the distance.

Last edited by Skoblin; 04 Oct 09, 13:40.

Comment

Quite a video. It would be interesting to have the translation on that one.
      History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
      _________
      BoRG

Comment

Mers el-Kebir

October 23, 1940. Les Actualites Mondiales. On July 3, 1940, the British Admiral James Somerville, commanding Force H at Gibraltar, presented an ultimatum to the French admiral, Marcel-Bruno Gensoul, demanding that the French fleet moored at Mers el-Kebir on the Algerian coast either join with the British navy, move to the West Indies or face destruction. The French admiral rejected the ultimatum. In the afternoon of July 3, the British attacked with the battle-cruiser HMS Hood, the battleships HMS Valiant and HMS Resolution and the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal. The British attack led to the sinking of the old French battleship, the Bretagne, with 977 dead, and damage to the battleships Dunkerque and Provence. The battleship Strasbourg escaped to Toulon. In all, some 1297 French sailors and marines were killed and another 350 wounded.

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
          October 23, 1940. Les Actualites Mondiales. On July 3, 1940, the British Admiral James Somerville, commanding Force H at Gibraltar, presented an ultimatum to the French admiral, Marcel-Bruno Gensoul, demanding that the French fleet moored at Mers el-Kebir on the Algerian coast either join with the British navy, move to the West Indies or face destruction. The French admiral rejected the ultimatum. In the afternoon of July 3, the British attacked with the battle-cruiser HMS Hood, the battleships HMS Valiant and HMS Resolution and the aircraft carrier HMS Ark Royal. The British attack led to the sinking of the old French battleship, the Bretagne, with 977 dead, and damage to the battleships Dunkerque and Provence. The battleship Strasbourg escaped to Toulon. In all, some 1297 French sailors and marines were killed and another 350 wounded.
          Nice film. Still a contentious issue.
          Last edited by Skoblin; 04 Mar 09, 21:06.
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            Nice film. Still a contentious issue.
            Still surprised it never led to a formal declaration of war on the part of Vichy France. The scenes of the one ship being blown apart are that of the Bretagne.

Comment

1941 The British Mediterranen Fleet

January 6, 1941. Scenes of the British Mediterranean Fleet at Alexandria, Malta and on convoy duty. Cameos of the aircraft carrier, HMS Illustrious, and an Australian destroyer (probably the HMAS Stuart or one of the V-class destroyers - Voyager or Vampire).

Comment

Very colorful language. Liked the "unmolested Malta" and "daring airmen".

And did he actually say "Wops" at about 1 minute?

Thanks for the great videos!
                History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                _________
                BoRG

Comment

1941 Ark Royal on patrol

January 9, 1941. This newsreel shows the Ark Royal on patrol in the Western Mediterranean. Although not claimed in the video, I have guesstimated this to be film coverage of the Battle of Cape Spartivento from 27 November 1940. This is based upon the presence of the HMS Berwick - the only British county-class cruiser in the Mediterranean at this time (time frame 0:33-0:38 in the foreground)
                  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Cape_Spartivento

Comment

Skoblin I only now see this thread....I will send you the translations during the day...Nice videos really
                    Last edited by nikolas93TS; 30 Sep 09, 11:09.
                    It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                    Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                      Skoblin I only now see this thread....I will send you the traducement during the day...Nice videos really
                      Thanks Nik, and your first three translations have been inserted in the thread.

http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...96&postcount=1

Let's get some rep sent Nik's way for his contributions.

Comment

Originally posted by nikolas93TS View Post
                        Skoblin I only now see this thread....I will send you the translations during the day...Nice videos really

Thanks Nik! Rep on the way.
                        _________
                        BoRG

Comment

Rep has been delivered.
                          Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                            Thanks Nik! Rep on the way.
                            Originally posted by R. Evans View Post
                            Rep has been delivered.
                            Thanks to you all! I was bit busy yesterday,so I finished only 3 videos,but today I will send the rest
                            It is always more difficult to fight against faith than against knowledge.

Косово је Србија!
                            Never go to war with a country whose national holiday celebrates a defeat in 1389.

Armored Brigade

Armored Brigade Facebook page

Comment

Originally posted by Torien View Post
                              Very colorful language. Liked the "unmolested Malta" and "daring airmen".

And did he actually say "Wops" at about 1 minute?

Thanks for the great videos!
                              And a half-hearted attack from a ridiculous long range.

Comment

Originally posted by Haken View Post
                                And a half-hearted attack from a ridiculous long range.
                                British dry-humor at it's best.
                                _________
                                BoRG

Comment

Working...
                                X