No announcement yet.

Accuracy in military movies and TV programs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Absolutely!! Peter Jackson has gotten the accuracy of Orcish curved swords all wrong!

MDL_uruk.jpg

Clearly if I'm in an elite Urk-Hai fighting unit I am going to be using something like a Greek Kopis

h-3200.jpg

Comment

I think it was sometime in the 1980s, with Platoon and then the behemoth that was SPR. Actually I think the "accuracy" in films can be traced to one man's work- Dale Dye because his set the standard for others to follow

Comment

the purpose of film/tv series is to tell a story, not a historical re-enactment. imagine how boring a historical reenactment would be to watch for most people? So history has to be put aside to serve the interests of story.

Comment

Originally posted by Cult Icon View Post
          the purpose of film/tv series is to tell a story, not a historical re-enactment. imagine how boring a historical reenactment would be to watch for most people? So history has to be put aside to serve the interests of story.
          I agree that producers need to balance entertainment with accuracy. And in most cases entertainment will win out over historical accuracy.

But having said that some times it is no sacrifice to be accurate. For instance my example of Ottoman troops in World War I having a U.S. M1919a4 Machine gun. Such a glaring error.
          "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" Beatrice Evelyn Hall
          Updated for the 21st century... except if you are criticizing islam, that scares the $hii+e out of me!

Comment

A Bridge Too Far - Dutch Army Leopard tanks used to play German Tigers - Most scenes with Shermans are pretty accurately-made props made out of plexiglas.

Battle of Britain - Too enlarged the British squadrons, some scenes which focus on the pilot in the cockpit, will have the planes in the far background that are either painted on the film pellicule (early version of CGI!) or Bf 109s.

Comment

Accuracy in films has to submit to budgets. CGI has enabled many things to be shown that were simply not possible earlier.

The producer of Patton lucked out because the Spanish Air Force was still flying He 111's, but had to fudge the tanks. Battle of Britain did fairly well, but ironically the German aircraft were mostly flown by pilots from America from outfits like the Confederate Air Force, which had several restored German fighters, while many of the British aircraft were flown by German pilots, all complicated by the lack of radios. The hairiest job was the aerial cameraman who was strapped into a seat bolted to a platform in the exposed tail of a B-25 from which the rear gun turret had been removed. He was totally exposed to the wind and the action, and according to the director, almost deaf from the noise!

Altogether a great a job nonetheless and a fine film.

Probably the best war films were made by the British in the decade after WWII, when all of the original machines and equipment were still available in useful quantities.

One of the worst of the recent war films was Pearl Harbor, which used modern American warships as a substitute for period destroyers. I thought CGI would have been a much better choice, but probably way outside the already bloated budget.

This should never have been shown:

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

And in this shot, it's even worse!

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

When we were kids we just loved watching war films, with not a scooby of how accurate they were!
                  All we knew about the Battle of the Bulge was Tiger tanks were big and Shermans small, so they got that bit right in our tiny minds. Telly Savalas going mental and driving about with hiis tank's turret blown off was a Hero, even when the scenery changed from a Christmas card to a desert, never registered. For years us kids believed we'd seen real Tiger tanks when Telly popped up as 'Big Joe'!
                  I'd seen Zulu, three a times year at least since it came out, more when VHS was invented. It wasn't till t'internet came along and told me...
                  some of them Redcoats are toting bolt action rifles!

The long toll of the brave
                  Is not lost in darkness
                  Over the fruitful earth
                  And athwart the seas
                  Hath passed the light of noble deeds
                  Unquenchable forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Von Richter View Post
                    When we were kids we just loved watching war films, with not a scooby of how accurate they were!
                    All we knew about the Battle of the Bulge was Tiger tanks were big and Shermans small, so they got that bit right in our tiny minds. Telly Savalas going mental and driving about with hiis tank's turret blown off was a Hero, even when the scenery changed from a Christmas card to a desert, never registered. For years us kids believed we'd seen real Tiger tanks when Telly popped up as 'Big Joe'!
                    I'd seen Zulu, three a times year at least since it came out, more when VHS was invented. It wasn't till t'internet came along and told me...
                    some of them Redcoats are toting bolt action rifles!

Most films from the Napoleonic era assume the troops had repeating muskets. They keep firing but no one ever seems to reload.
                    "To be free is better than to be unfree - always."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                    X