Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Passchendaele

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Passchendaele

    Has anyone seen the film Passchendaele? Its a WWI epic starring Paul Gross(Due South) He wrote it about his grandfather's(Michael Dunne) time in WWI. I found it very engaging and interesting. There is one rule. Don't die. It was realistic in alot of ways. He wrote it from hearing his grandfather talk about different things he did in the war,and it stuck with him his entire life. He said some of the stories Mr.Dunne told were pretty gruesome,as war can be,those of us who've been in any skirmish or war.

    If you've never seen it,check it out.
    This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • #2
    I found the battle scenes and the other military aspects darn good, but some of the acting in the segments about "back home" were......ehhh, not so hot. Overall, it's worth a watch imo. I would classify this as a "rent" on the see-rent-buy scale.
    ...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

    Comment


    • #3
      I downloaded and put to disc. I am not into the 'love story' parts myself.

      Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
      I found the battle scenes and the other military aspects darn good, but some of the acting in the segments about "back home" were......ehhh, not so hot. Overall, it's worth a watch imo. I would classify this as a "rent" on the see-rent-buy scale.
      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        An entertaining, but implausible movie. It's a small world for the characters! Pretty good acting. Good combat scenes. Accurate weapons. Very much influenced by Saving Private Ryan. Overtly religious including a crucifixion! Overall - 7/10

        Comment


        • #5
          I found it a terrible movie.

          Comment


          • #6
            Bottom line for a movie is that was enjoyable-- so yes.
            How accurate? better than most. Worth watching. I remember another film made about the same time about an American company in the trenches, what was it called?
            Cymru am Byth

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Kevinmeath View Post
              Bottom line for a movie is that was enjoyable-- so yes.
              How accurate? better than most. Worth watching. I remember another film made about the same time about an American company in the trenches, what was it called?
              Is it 'The Lost Battalion'? That movie was good especially in regards to verisimilitude.

              Comment


              • #8
                Have yet to watch either one. Closed I came was watching the first half of the Lost Battalion until the library's copy decided to be uncooperative.

                Nice to see anything based on WW1 that doesn't involve aerial combat.
                Delegate, MN GOP.

                PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

                http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by SGT Long View Post
                  Have yet to watch either one. Closed I came was watching the first half of the Lost Battalion until the library's copy decided to be uncooperative.

                  Nice to see anything based on WW1 that doesn't involve aerial combat.
                  You can watch it on youtube, mate.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ah...YouTube, where would the Western World be without it...!!!???

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      You can also watch Passchendaele on Youtube.

                      I have particular interest in this battle, because when people try to tell me that Vietnam was some how a more dirty and difficult war than those which came before my reply is always the same. They are all dirty and horrible. Just look at Passchendaele.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Kittikhun View Post
                        Is it 'The Lost Battalion'? That movie was good especially in regards to verisimilitude.

                        I thought that the battles scenes were unrealistic. Everybody was always standing around and bunched up in groups making easy targets. No one was ever fighting from their "fighting position". When the attacks came everyone stood up and fired from the standing position.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Crucified Soldier

                          Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                          An entertaining, but implausible movie. It's a small world for the characters! Pretty good acting. Good combat scenes. Accurate weapons. Very much influenced by Saving Private Ryan. Overtly religious including a crucifixion! Overall - 7/10
                          There is some historical background to the crucified soldier story:

                          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crucified_Soldier
                          Attached Files
                          If war is Hell, why was the Eastern Front so damned cold??!!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            The crucifixion story has been thoroughly debunked. The scene in the movie is totally different from the myth. In the movie, a character is hurled by an explosion into a crucifixion-like pose. It is not an atrocity. The Germans are not to blame. It is much more a reference to the crucifixion of Christ than to the crucifixion of a Canadian soldier in WWI.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Try this movie,Beneath Hill 60, its about the Australians at Hill 60. This was the event that basically lead up to the battle of Passchendaele.



                              Comment

                              Latest Topics

                              Collapse

                              Working...
                              X