Best War Movies (that aren't)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post

I was going to mention The Great Escape, but you have done even better mentioning these other classic prison movies.
    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
    — Groucho Marx

Comment

While not a movie, a couple of the Band of Brothers series were not "War Movies"

Have we even got a working definition of "War Movie"?
      "Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

While war played a part in these next three, war was not the main story line.

Last edited by Half Pint John; 08 Apr 11, 08:53.

Comment

As I have been working my way through Military History magazine's 100 Greatest War Movies for my blog warmoviebuff.blogspotcom, I have run across some "war" movies that are not IMO war movies. Foreign Correspondent (#86 - Hitchcock), The Third Man (#80 - Welles; post-war Europe), Hail the Conquering Hero (#70 - WWII comedy) Casablanca (#65), The Tin Drum (#60 - weird foreign film), Notorious (#57 - Hitchcock). Given these choices, I would say that Casablanca is the best "movie set in a war".

BTW I would classify POW movies like The Great Escape as war movies. They do not belong in this discussion IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Atkins View Post
            I've just thought of an absolute beaut!

Bad Day at Black Rock.

Spencer Tracy is a world war two vet' trying to deliver a medal to the Japanese-American parents of a fallen comrade. Themes are the bigotry and racism that war can foster in the civilian population.

(Borgnine is a great thug in this movie also. And an early role for the sublime Lee Marvin as thug number two.)
            I'd rep you again... But I just repped you for The Caine Mutiny...

The Wind and the Lion, The Sand Pebbles and Seven Days in May would be my three picks.

Last edited by The Doctor; 08 Apr 11, 14:09.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I actually feel sick in the stomach...

Seven Days in May!!!

One of my all time fav movies and it fits the brief perfectly for this thread and I completely forgot about it!

And Casablanca... That is just about the Daddy of all "war movies that aren't".

This should have been called the "kick yourself thread"!

Great calls lads!

Comment

Then there's the Robin Williams classic...

Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Here's one:

Comment

Is this a joke?Down Periscope!With Kelsey Grammer.

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                      "BTW I would classify POW movies like The Great Escape as war movies. They do not belong in this discussion IMO."
                      I agree totally.

Question for anyone here: Pearl Harbor?
                      "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Bogart (with just Katherine Hepburn to help him), as the skipper of a small river boat pitts himself against a WW1 battle crusier on Lake Victoria. The Germans never stood a chance!
                        Last edited by Tommy Atkins; 08 Apr 11, 23:40.

Comment

The Man Who Never Was

The Life and Death Of Colonel Blimp

Last edited by Post Captain; 09 Apr 11, 02:23.
                          Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by warmoviebuff View Post
                            As I have been working my way through Military History magazine's 100 Greatest War Movies for my blog warmoviebuff.blogspotcom, I have run across some "war" movies that are not IMO war movies. Foreign Correspondent (#86 - Hitchcock), The Third Man (#80 - Welles; post-war Europe), Hail the Conquering Hero (#70 - WWII comedy) Casablanca (#65), The Tin Drum (#60 - weird foreign film), Notorious (#57 - Hitchcock). Given these choices, I would say that Casablanca is the best "movie set in a war".

BTW I would classify POW movies like The Great Escape as war movies. They do not belong in this discussion IMO.
                            In your opinion, which isn't worth any more than mine.

The Great Dictator

Operation Petticoat

Last edited by Half Pint John; 09 Apr 11, 02:50.

Comment

Originally posted by panther3485 View Post
                              I agree totally.

Question for anyone here: Pearl Harbor?
                              What about it? With all the bombing, strafing and crash landings how can there be a question about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Half Pint John View Post
                                What about it? With all the bombing, strafing and crash landings how can there be a question about it.
                                How can there be a question?

IMO, easily. Yes, there was quite a lot of war action. However, the movie to my perception at least, wasn't primarily about any of that. The whole Pearl Harbor event - and other actions - seemed to serve as little more than an admittedly very dramatic backdrop for the 'love triangle' romance. In other words, a huge BS soap-opera style chick-flick badly disguised as a war movie.

In what I would regard as a 'proper' war movie, any such romance, if it happens - and there doesn't need to be any at all - is very supplementary to the main business of the story. It is not the main theme, which to me is what it appeared to be in Pearl Harbor.

Now, maybe that's just my perception and everybody else here will disagree with me? If so, that's what I'd like to find out and it's why I asked the question, John.
                                Last edited by panther3485; 09 Apr 11, 03:03.
                                "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                                Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X