Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best War Movies (that aren't)

Obviously inspired by another thread.

Drystxy pointed out on the "Top War Movies" thread, (correctly in my opinion), that The Deer Hunter is not a war movie, rather it is a drama about the lives of soldiers.

There are many great movies that feature the military or war is somehow there as a backdrop that could not really be described as "war movies".

I thought these warrented their own thread.

My nomination is: The Cain Mutiny (1954)

This is a court room drama... Humphrey Bogart going off his cake as a WW2 Naval Captain driving his crew to mutiny. Bogart shows that his talents go way beyond playing tough guys. Great supporting cast too.

I can think of quite a few others but will wait to see what, (if anything) the forum yields.
    Last edited by Tommy Atkins; 05 Apr 11, 14:47.

A psychological thriller about a WW2 German General who is also a serial killer.

The Night of the Generals

"The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Definitely Lord of War.

A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

All I can think of now is "Above Us The Waves" . Staring John Millis it shows how his men went home before going out on a dangerious mission

Comment

"Best Years of Our Lives" comes to mind. Veterans come home and try to readjust to society.

Comment

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts."— Bertrand Russell

Comment

From Here to Eternity

Parodied a million times for Burt Lancaster making love to Deborah Kerr on the beach while the tide comes in around them.

Best bit's though are the interaction between the soldiers Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra and the bully, Seargeant (fatso) Ernest Borgnine.

The myth is that the story line of Don Corleone getting johnny Fontain the movie part in The Godfather is based on how Sinatra got the his role in From Here to Eterninty.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Atkins View Post
                From Here to Eternity

Parodied a million times for Burt Lancaster making love to Deborah Kerr on the beach while the tide comes in around them.

Best bit's though are the interaction between the soldiers Montgomery Clift, Frank Sinatra and the bully, Seargeant (fatso) Ernest Borgnine.

The myth is that the story line of Don Corleone getting johnny Fontain the movie part in The Godfather is based on how Sinatra got the his role in From Here to Eterninty.
                For my money, Ernest Borgnine is the only reason to watch that movie. He is great. The movie otherwise is dull.
                "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                — Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                  For my money, Ernest Borgnine is the only reason to watch that movie. He is great. The movie otherwise is dull.
                  It's been years since I've seen it Catman. I remember liking all the stuff about Clift refusing to give in to a system that was trying to break him, Sinatra being really good and as you say... Borgnine was superb.

There was however far too much love interest for my liking. Maybe i'm just blotting out the "dull" bits and remembering the good stuff.

Comment

It's been years since I've seen it Catman. I remember liking all the stuff about Clift refusing to give in to a system that was trying to break him, Sinatra being really good and as you say... Borgnine was superb.

There was however far too much love interest for my liking. Maybe i'm just blotting out the "dull" bits and remembering the good stuff.
                    Maybe. I could be remembering it as way too much of the illicit affair and not enough of the good stuff. But I saw it in the last couple of years and still didn't like it, except Borgnine of course.
                    "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                    — Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                      Oh, I dunno. Deborah Kerr in a swimsuit wasn't that bad.
                      "Chatfield, there seems to be something wrong with our bloody ships today!"
                      Vice Admiral Beatty to Flag Captain Chatfield; Battle of Jutland, 31 May - 1 June, 1916.

Comment

"Ask not what your country can do for you"

Left wing, Right Wing same bird that they are killing.

you’re entitled to your own opinion but not your own facts.

Comment

All great movies Half Pint. They have the common theme of men in captivity but war is so integral to the storyline that to me they are "war movies".

Comment

Isn't the Infantry company portrayed in From Here to Eternity the same one thats in The Thin Red Line?

I know the same author wrote both books and they supposedly portrayed the company he served in during the war.

If so that means Burt Lancaster and Sean Penn portray the same 1st Sergeant
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I've just thought of an absolute beaut!

Bad Day at Black Rock.

Spencer Tracy is a world war two vet' trying to deliver a medal to the Japanese-American parents of a fallen comrade. Themes are the bigotry and racism that war can foster in the civilian population.

(Borgnine is a great thug in this movie also. And an early role for the sublime Lee Marvin as thug number two.)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Robi P.
                                by casanova
                                The Austrian soldier Toni P. of the Radetzky barack in Horn Nether Austria was forced by his commander to make an march with his comrades in 3th August...
                                Today, 02:27
                              • casanova
                                Beirut
                                by casanova
                                Gigantic explosion in the city of Beirut. 70 people were killed and 2750 men were heavy hurted. The explosion was like atomic bomb. The cause of that...
                                Today, 00:47
                              • casanova
                                Nuclear battleheads.
                                by casanova
                                A secret UNO report declares, that North Korea owns already nuclear battleheads for tactical rockets....
                                Yesterday, 23:58
                              Working...
                              X