Windtalkers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windtalkers

I know the subject is about as inaccurate as all hell. It's a guilty pleasure of my film watching and has been a favorite of mine since 2002. I did like the novelization of the film (even with the historical inaccuracies) in it.

I've recently (over the last four weeks) gotten interested in the US Marine Corps involvement in the Pacific Theater (I've read Do or Die Men - a book about Edson's Raiders and re-watched the Pacific and am almost halfway through American Commandos which deals with Carlson's Raiders). Re-playing Call of Duty: World at War with the initial mission being the Makin Island Raid was what sparked that interest.

I remembered that the novelization of Windtalkers discussed Nicholas Cage's character as having been a member of one of the USMC Raider Battalions.

I know trying to draw historical settings from a film (especially a widely acknowledged as historically inaccurate film) is a guessing game. I tried to make an educated guess as to the first battle scene (the one where Cage's character loses his entire squad) and came to the conclusion that it was around Alligator Creek.

But if Cage's character fought at Alligator Creek I figure he mustn't have been a Raider because I've not heard of the Raiders having fought in Alligator Creek given the fact that it was mostly 1st Marine Division that fought in that AO according to Robert Leckie's Helmet for My Pillow. Any takers for educated guessing where on Guadalcanal the intial battle in Windtalkers took place?
    "Conquer Yourself." -Vladimir Salnikov, 1500m Olympic Swimming Champion, 1988 Seoul Olympic Games.

First mistake is thinking hollywood would make an acuate movie. They like to use title on things that sound cool even if they are out of place historicaly.
    Are we there yet?

Comment

Avoid any attachment to this pile of drivel. Windtalkers is one of the worst movies ever made of any genre. Even Nick Cage overacts more than he normally does, and that is saying something.
      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Sorry can't agree. I couldn't finish this movie. I felt absolutely no tension or suspense in the over-wrought and over-stylized battle sequences.

Comment

Originally posted by LoneRider View Post
          I tried to make an educated guess as to the first battle scene (the one where Cage's character loses his entire squad) and came to the conclusion that it was around Alligator Creek.

But if Cage's character fought at Alligator Creek I figure he mustn't have been a Raider because I've not heard of the Raiders having fought in Alligator Creek given the fact that it was mostly 1st Marine Division that fought in that AO according to Robert Leckie's Helmet for My Pillow. Any takers for educated guessing where on Guadalcanal the intial battle in Windtalkers took place?
          No idea, my advice, don't waste another second worrying about this.

Comment

If you like that book try Guadalcanal Diary by Richard Tregaskis . I can recomed it he served with the USMC when they fought there

Comment

Ironic that this thread should appear at this particular time . . .
              Member of Original 29 Code Talkers Dies in U.S.
              Published March 19, 2011 | Associated Press

AMP VERDE, Arizona -- Lloyd Oliver wasn't much of a talker, but it was clear that he was proud to have his native language serve as a key weapon during World War II. As part of an elite group of Marines, he helped develop and implement a code based on the Navajo language that helped win the war.

Years later, his hearing remained impaired because of gun blasts and other explosives during the war. He rarely brought up his time as a Code Talker, but his eyes gleamed when holding a picture of himself in his uniform. He kept a Marine cap and a U.S. flag displayed on his bedroom walls in the home he shared with his wife on the Yavapai Apache Reservation.

Semper Fi Marine!
              [Official Game Thread] "To the Berezina River" Napoleonic Game

Comment

The Navajo Code Talkers are Honored Warriors out here.Unfortunately,there are very few left.There is a museum display for them in Window Rock,Az,the Capitol of the Navajo Nation.
                If you Ain't Cav,You Ain't S---

Comment

It's one of the many problems with this movie, that they leave the actual Navajo Windtalkers as background decorations and focus on Nicolas Cage flying around with guns and killing half the axis troops.

Comment

Castro, the way the movie portrayed it you'd think all the 2nd Marine Division needed on Saipan was a squad of Nicholas Cage clones.

It's a Hollywood thing and to be expected with movies.
                    "Conquer Yourself." -Vladimir Salnikov, 1500m Olympic Swimming Champion, 1988 Seoul Olympic Games.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                      Berlin.1945
                      by casanova
                      The Sowjet T-34 tank against a German Tiger tank in Berlin in the II World War in 1945. ...
                      Yesterday, 23:41
                    • casanova
                      AW 169M
                      by casanova
                      The Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner declared the buy of 18 Italian military helicopters of the type AW 169M for the Austrian army, the Bundesheer....
                      Yesterday, 23:26
                    • JBark
                      What changed?
                      by JBark
                      There was a time not too long ago when this forum was full of discussion, multiple posts, votes and involved discussions on the best of the war, etc.,...
                      Yesterday, 18:54
                    Working...
                    X