The Eagle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Eagle

An adaptation of a 1954 novel but the first I saw anything about this movie was an ad in the paper today. Second century Romans are not an area of expertise that I claim but this movie seems interesting. Anything that tries hard to be authentic will gain points from me but as I have stated, this is not a time period I have put much study into. Does anyone with an interest in Rome have an opinion if this will be worth the time to see? Any major glaring historical inconsistencies? Even if you have read the book and have an opinion I would appreciate input. (I need all the info possible before I plan on seeing a movie that I can't take my kids to- don't know the rating but assume it will be too high for kids)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_%282011_film%29
    (yeah, I know - wikipedia, but I figured it had a good synopsis of the plot)

http://focusfeatures.com/the_eagle - official site. - lots of video clips
    45B10 1986-91

I have the book that the movie is based on but have not gotten around to reading it yet.

I am going to go see it. I'm assuming it will be rated R for violence.

Btw the actual title of the book is Eagle of the Ninth.
    If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Apparently the movie is not only somewhat historically inaccurate (no surprise there), but is also weak/flawed in terms of plot and character development as well. At least that's what I've heard. Shame; I jump at the chance to see epic action movies about ancient Greece and Rome and the ancient world in general, but I'm not sure The Eagle is worth watching.

Here's a link to the website: http://www.focusfeatures.com/the_eagle

Alex

Comment

Unfortunately, the film is based on the concept from The Prince and the Pauper, remade as Trading Places. It's the idea of a "have" trading places with a "have not", in this case a roman officer changing places with a slave.

Along the same line is another production coming out on the Dish right now - The Lost Legion.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Any time I see Celtic "Barbarians" covered in woad, I have problems! I will probably waste a few bucks on it tonight. I will keep an eye out for Mail armor instead of Lorica Segmentata.

It has Donald Sutherland in a bit part and I love Sutherland's work.

Pruitt
          Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

oh well, if I don't get out to see it, I have room in my netflix queue (if it turns out to be a stinker, it will make it to dvd that much faster).
            45B10 1986-91

Comment

BabyGirl said she liked it. I thought it was okay. The sight of a Century of Roman soldiers going out of a fort WITHOUT Pilums was a bit much. If they had had them the Britons would have been hurt badly. It would have stopped the charge of several chariots as well. The rest of the movie was not so bad.

Pruitt

Comment

I saw the film and I liked it. That Pict village was almost identical to my mind's eye view of what Ratharryn looked like in Cornwell's novel: Stonehenge.
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

I just picked up the book. The book has the Auxilliaries going out with Pila. I guess the director thought he could ignore it. I am not so sure a young man could just get placed into the Centurion ranks.

Pruitt

Comment

Working...
                  X