X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miss Saigon
    replied
    Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
    I don't mind if a little artistic licence is used to pump up a movie, but i hate movies that deliberately lie to the public. In my opinion the two worst movies to bald face lied to the Audience was

U-571 and Memphis Belle.
    and JFK.

I agree that U-571 was a joke. I don't care that Mathew McConaughey is from Austin, Texas. The film was still horrible

Leave a comment:

• Czin
    replied
    It depends on the quality of the movie. If it's very good I'll give it a lot of wiggle room. If it's average, I may criticize it a little. If it's bad I'll rip into it. If it's so bad that it's hilarious (Plan 9 from outerspace) then I'll be more lenient. If it's so bad that it dives right down into the abyss of awfulness from which none may escape; then I'm probably going to post a long rant on how bad it was somewhere once I recover from the suckiness induced shock.

Leave a comment:

• stalin
    replied
    Originally posted by Catman View Post
    They're the ones in a different uniform going out of their way to kill you
    but for some like the Vlassovtsy it wasn't so clear...

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    replied
    Originally posted by stalin View Post
    with no political officers, how would a soldier know where and who is an enemy?
    They're the ones in a different uniform going out of their way to kill you.

Leave a comment:

• stalin
    replied
    Originally posted by Pirateship1982 View Post
    I'd put more credit with the Soviet tanker than any political officer
    with no political officers, how would a soldier know where and who is an enemy?

Leave a comment:

• Pirateship1982
    replied
    - not true, for if not for them the war would have been lost.
    I'd put more credit with the Soviet tanker than any political officer. Patriotic posters don't kill Tiger tanks but the T-34/85 bagged a few.

Leave a comment:

• stalin
    replied
    Originally posted by welshdragon View Post
    Alexander Nevsky
    music by Sergei Prokofiev -

Leave a comment:

• welshdragon
    replied
    Alexander Nevsky was probably one of the greatest propaganda films to come out of eastern Europe. Influential enough even today...watch it and listen to the music during the big battle. James Horner practically used it for the Battle of Stirling in Braveheart.

Leave a comment:

• Roddoss72
    replied
    Originally posted by Catman View Post
    What was the lie about Memphis Belle? I mean aside from it being a fictional account of an actual plane and crew? I know it wasn't very good, but I wouldn't say it was a lie anymore than most movies in any genre.
    I mean that the Captain going back to the tail gun shooting down a Bf-109 and that the doomed German fighter plowed into another B-17 slicing it in half, never happened, that some of the members of the crew were critically wounded,when in fact they all returned without a scratch, in fact as missions go it was very routine and uneventful.

Leave a comment:

• dmf01
    replied
    back in the Soviet times, yes they did.
    Seems to me that even current Russian historical films are not free of politics/ideology. I haven't seen any that would refute my opinion.
    And, don't worry, Stalin. "Sovok" still rules - it's just changed its colour.

Leave a comment:

• Joe Meek
    replied
    given the enormous amount of movies produced and seen in the West, the people there must be influenced by them on how to view things etc... am i right?
    Yes, comrade. You are correct. We decadent western bourgeois dance to Hollywood's tune just as those decadent orientals dance to Bollywood's tune.

You should know that visual stimulus has to have a pronounced effect on peoples behavior, otherwise there wouldn't be any TV commercials

Joe Meek

Leave a comment:

• FTCS
    replied
    The older I get the less it takes to get me, as the wife says, ranting and raving about the stupidity of today's movies and don't let me get started on TV shows.

Leave a comment:

• welshdragon
    replied
    If Michael Moore even pooed in the next town I'm unlikely to take it seriously.

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    replied
    Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
    I don't mind if a little artistic licence is used to pump up a movie, but i hate movies that deliberately lie to the public. In my opinion the two worst movies to bald face lied to the Audience was

U-571 and Memphis Belle.

U-571 was never boarded by the Americans. Remember an incident here in Australia, the producers had organised a press conference on the debut of U-571 in Australia, they sat down and went through the movie, one journalist got up and confronted the Producers on how U-571 was sunk by RAAF Short Sunderland with all hands, the Producers decided to cancel the press conference, they got up and walked out.

And what traspired in Memphis Belle was the worse case of just out an out lying
    What was the lie about Memphis Belle? I mean aside from it being a fictional account of an actual plane and crew? I know it wasn't very good, but I wouldn't say it was a lie anymore than most movies in any genre.

Leave a comment:

• Roddoss72
    replied

U-571 and Memphis Belle.

U-571 was never boarded by the Americans. Remember an incident here in Australia, the producers had organised a press conference on the debut of U-571 in Australia, they sat down and went through the movie, one journalist got up and confronted the Producers on how U-571 was sunk by RAAF Short Sunderland with all hands, the Producers decided to cancel the press conference, they got up and walked out.

And what traspired in Memphis Belle was the worse case of just out an out lying

Leave a comment:

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
X