No announcement yet.

How seriously you take movies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know about movies, but I do know about what they teach us in marketing. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot sell anything to anyone with good marketing. What you can do is influence the direction of their purchasing if they already have a predilection for the kind of product you are selling. For example, if you are selling chocolate you may be able to influence people to buy your chocolate over another brand, but you will not be able to get people who don't like chocolate to buy your brand no matter how much you spend on marketing.

I would imagine the same is true of films. They probably influence poeple with their messages and content if people already have a predilection in that direction and are therefore receptive to the message you are trying to send. If they are not receptive to the kind of message the film is trying to send then they probably don't even realize there is a message in the first place and just view the film as entertainment. Or if they do realize there is a message they just reject it outright.

Comment

Originally posted by Miss Saigon View Post
      I don't know about movies, but I do know about what they teach us in marketing. Contrary to popular belief, you cannot sell anything to anyone with good marketing. What you can do is influence the direction of their purchasing if they already have a predilection for the kind of product you are selling. For example, if you are selling chocolate you may be able to influence people to buy your chocolate over another brand, but you will not be able to get people who don't like chocolate to buy your brand no matter how much you spend on marketing.

I would imagine the same is true of films. They probably influence poeple with their messages and content if people already have a predilection in that direction and are therefore receptive to the message you are trying to send. If they are not receptive to the kind of message the film is trying to send then they probably don't even realize there is a message in the first place and just view the film as entertainment. Or if they do realize there is a message they just reject it outright.
      Chocolate? What kind of chocolate?
      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
      Groucho Marx

Comment

"Drunk, fat, and stupid is no way to go through life, son."

Oh how wrong they were....

Comment

Movies are meant to entertain. When Hollywood tries to instruct, it just cranks out propaganda.

Comment

Originally posted by stalin View Post
            but those at least don't portray the US as ugly as they do portray, say, Russia in ''Enemy at the Gates''
            I thought that Soviets were portrayed pretty good. It was an ugly war, and the soldiers did their duty to their best ability, found fun where they could. It's the Political Officers that were the goons.

Comment

It's harder and harder every year to take any motion picture seriously.

Even documentaries are open to numerous questions about accuracy and "slant".
              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                Braveheart is very historically incorrect as well, but it's still one of my favorite alltime movies. But again, its entertainment. I never thought for a second that I was watching a documentary.
                That said, Braveheart sparked a small but significant wave of support for the Scottish idependence movement after it's release.

http://www.braveheart.info/news/2005...-31/51063.html

So yes, movie's can influence how People think or percieve thing's. It is a very broad question. Stalin, were You more wanting to know how much movie's influence "the West's" perception of Russia?

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                  It's the Political Officers that were the goons
                  - not true, for if not for them the war would have been lost.

Comment

I don't mind if a little artistic licence is used to pump up a movie, but i hate movies that deliberately lie to the public. In my opinion the two worst movies to bald face lied to the Audience was

U-571 and Memphis Belle.

U-571 was never boarded by the Americans. Remember an incident here in Australia, the producers had organised a press conference on the debut of U-571 in Australia, they sat down and went through the movie, one journalist got up and confronted the Producers on how U-571 was sunk by RAAF Short Sunderland with all hands, the Producers decided to cancel the press conference, they got up and walked out.

And what traspired in Memphis Belle was the worse case of just out an out lying

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoss72 View Post
                      I don't mind if a little artistic licence is used to pump up a movie, but i hate movies that deliberately lie to the public. In my opinion the two worst movies to bald face lied to the Audience was

U-571 and Memphis Belle.

U-571 was never boarded by the Americans. Remember an incident here in Australia, the producers had organised a press conference on the debut of U-571 in Australia, they sat down and went through the movie, one journalist got up and confronted the Producers on how U-571 was sunk by RAAF Short Sunderland with all hands, the Producers decided to cancel the press conference, they got up and walked out.

And what traspired in Memphis Belle was the worse case of just out an out lying
                      What was the lie about Memphis Belle? I mean aside from it being a fictional account of an actual plane and crew? I know it wasn't very good, but I wouldn't say it was a lie anymore than most movies in any genre.
                      "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
                      Groucho Marx

Comment

If Michael Moore even pooed in the next town I'm unlikely to take it seriously.

Comment

The older I get the less it takes to get me, as the wife says, ranting and raving about the stupidity of today's movies and don't let me get started on TV shows.
                          Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

given the enormous amount of movies produced and seen in the West, the people there must be influenced by them on how to view things etc... am i right?
                            Yes, comrade. You are correct. We decadent western bourgeois dance to Hollywood's tune just as those decadent orientals dance to Bollywood's tune.

You should know that visual stimulus has to have a pronounced effect on peoples behavior, otherwise there wouldn't be any TV commercials

Joe Meek
                            Stalin at the Tehran Conference "without the miracle of American production the war would have been lost." Maurice Matloff, SPFCW pg 367 "Without American production the United Nations could never have won the war." TIME 12/13/1943

Comment

back in the Soviet times, yes they did.
                              Seems to me that even current Russian historical films are not free of politics/ideology. I haven't seen any that would refute my opinion.
                              And, don't worry, Stalin. "Sovok" still rules - it's just changed its colour.
                              "Keep Calm. Use Less X's"

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                                What was the lie about Memphis Belle? I mean aside from it being a fictional account of an actual plane and crew? I know it wasn't very good, but I wouldn't say it was a lie anymore than most movies in any genre.
                                I mean that the Captain going back to the tail gun shooting down a Bf-109 and that the doomed German fighter plowed into another B-17 slicing it in half, never happened, that some of the members of the crew were critically wounded,when in fact they all returned without a scratch, in fact as missions go it was very routine and uneventful.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X