No announcement yet.

Favorite Irish gangster movies!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Of course not; it's more of an example of Irish republican propaganda and poor history.
    "They're inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"
    -Baron Munchausen

"Ah, 'tis midsummer madness, the music is my temples, the hot blood of youth! Come, Kapellmeister, let the violas throb. My regiment leaves at dawn!"
    -Groucho Marx

Comment

Road To Perdition is mine. Daniel Craig's Connor Rooney was a heck of a character. Cold,but yet he was his own worst enemy. Jude Law's assassin was terrific. The end I never suspected. It is all in all one of the best movies I've ever seen. Irish gangster movie or not. Then add Tom Hanks' performance. Anything people knew about Hanks and his comedic performances or his other characters after Michael Sullivan blew everyone out of the water A double A plus in my book.
      This bass guitar kills TERRORISTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

The Town (2010)

Barcsi János ispán vezérőrnagy
        Time Magazine's Person of the Year for 2003 & 2006

"Never pet a burning dog."

RECOMMENDED WEBSITES:
        http://www.mormon.org
        http://www.sca.org
        http://www.scv.org/
        http://www.scouting.org/

Comment

Public Enemy with Jimmy Cagney my favorite scean is at the end were he had a shoot out in the store under the L Train . Then he come out in the rain drops his two .38's says
          " I aint so tuff . " And falls down in the street .
          Or Roaring Twenties with Cagney and Bogart .

Comment

how about an Irish Irish Gangster movie
            anyone seen
            I WENT DOWN
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_ZXY...eature=related
            not bad
            FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY
            BAN ME NOW

Comment

Gangsters are a movie staple and as such can be very entertaining. However real gangsters are just street thugs with money. But movies need heroes... righteous men, very moral and loyal to their own code. Of course this is all romanticised sentimental tosh.

In terms of Hollywood... the Irish have a bit of catching up to do... the Italians have pretty much cornered the market and Scorsese is king.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommy Atkins View Post

However real gangsters are just street thugs with money. But movies need heroes... righteous men, very moral and loyal to their own code. Of course this is all romanticised sentimental tosh.
                You obviously have never been involved with organized crime (or even established crime I suspect) in any way. The above statement reeks of anger-induced jealous envy.

Did a gangster beat you up or steal your girl or something?

In terms of Hollywood... the Irish have a bit of catching up to do... the Italians have pretty much cornered the market and Scorsese is king.
                Marty made The Departed. Maybe he recognized the gap and tried to set an example for the rest of Hollywood, eh?
                Last edited by Paul Mann III; 13 Apr 11, 12:47.
                "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                  You obviously have never been involved with organized crime (or even established crime I suspect) in any way. The above statement reeks of anger-induced jealous envy.

Did a gangster beat you up or steal your girl or something?

Marty made The Departed. Maybe he recognized the gap and tried to set an example for the rest of Hollywood, eh?

Nope... the above comment was inspired by the fact that I have a bit of life experience. People who buy into gangsters being a noble heroic breed I suggest have been watching too many movies. I'm sure our mate Marty Scorsese would agree with me, (in fact I know he does). I think his "Good Fellas" is a work of genious. Although set amongst the American Italian community of New York it could easily translate to those of Irish decent in my home town of Liverpool, (sometimes referred to as the capital of Ireland, ironically because it is in the North West of England).

Scorsese has said that he made Good Fellas in part as a reaction to the tragic heroic, noble, type gangsters depicted in the movies, (I'm guessing he was referring to The Godfather but he didn't name it.) He said he grew up in a tough neighbourhood were the career choices were priest or gangster. He just didn't recognise the gangsters he saw in the movies. The gangsters he grew up around were the street thugs made good... but still very much street thugs despite their affluence.

I welcome your insight Paul but I'll stick with Marty's as it gels with my own experience.
                  Last edited by Tommy Atkins; 13 Apr 11, 14:43.

Comment

I welcome your insight Paul but I'll stick with Marty's as it gels with my own experience.
                    With all respect to the man, he doesn't really know anything about O.C. either. He's never been a gangster. He's just another outsider looking in, no matter how close he stood.

The loose (or hard and fast in some cases) code of ethics observed by some professionals is indeed the stuff of movies, and many actions taken those men have been the inspirational material that movies are made of.

It's fair to say that O.C. is not what it once was, and it's fair to say that freelance criminals are not entirely respectful in regards to ethics, but your sweeping indictment of depictions of gangsters being untruthful in all cases denotes a lack of education and experience on the underworld.

Some crooks have ethics, despite their disregard for laws. The two fields are not mutually exclusive.
                    "This life..., you know, "the life." You’re not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you don’t shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                      With all respect to the man, he doesn't really know anything about O.C. either. He's never been a gangster. He's just another outsider looking in, no matter how close he stood.

The loose (or hard and fast in some cases) code of ethics observed by some professionals is indeed the stuff of movies, and many actions taken those men have been the inspirational material that movies are made of.

It's fair to say that O.C. is not what it once was, and it's fair to say that freelance criminals are not entirely respectful in regards to ethics, but your sweeping indictment of depictions of gangsters being untruthful in all cases denotes a lack of education and experience on the underworld.

Some crooks have ethics, despite their disregard for laws. The two fields are not mutually exclusive.
                      Can't argue with you mate. I don't know where you are from but you must have all the nice ones. In the streets where me and Martin Scorsese grew up they are vicous, ruthless thugs.

Comment

"The Molly Maguires" with Sean Connery and Richard Harris.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QXjEuHKeUY
                        "Profanity is but a linguistic crutch for illiterate motherbleepers"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                        X