Letters from Iwo Jima

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Letters from Iwo Jima

I have just watched 'Letters from Iwo Jima' for the second time. One of the best war movies ever in my opinion. Directed by Clint Eastwood and starring Ken Watanabe as a Japanese General who commanded the defensive forces but had spent several years living in the U.S. prior to the war. Wonderful movie!

a sad, lonely, melancholic film, for all its brutal action and bloodshed, with moments of sheer poetry and others of heartbreaking grief.

Philip
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

I actually wanted to see that but never got around to it, I saw Flags of our Fathers, so obviously the sister movie was my next choice.
    A wild liberal appears! Conservative uses logical reasoning and empirical evidence! It's super effective! Wild liberal faints.

Comment

Yes, very touching movie! You have to watch it on japanese! ( with subtitles of course )
      "Every man thinks meanly of himself for not having been a soldier" - Samuel Johnson

"Kerls, wollt ihr denn ewig leben?"

Comment

Originally posted by rogg View Post
        Yes, very touching movie! You have to watch it on japanese! ( with subtitles of course )
        Yes, it is in Japanese with English subtitles. I'd hate to think anyone would dub it to have English speaking voices. That would spoil much of what comes across as a tremendously authentic portrayal of the Pacific war from the Japanese perspective.

Philip
        "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." Bertrand Russell

Comment

Letters from Iwo Jima was hands down better than Flags of our Fathers. Flags just had something missing about it. Letters was just so compelling.

Comment

Excellent, excellent movie.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

It was a lot better than I thought it would be and Yes it was better than Flags of our Fathers.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X