Military Channel: Greatest Tank Battles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Military Channel: Greatest Tank Battles

For those who may have missed 'Greatest Tank Battles' on the History Channel this excellent series is now starting on the Military Channel.
    New Book Release:

"Amazing Airmen": "Canadian Flyers In The Second World War"

www.amazingairmen.com

Its kinda like Dogfights for tanks. The battle of 73 Easting was good. I kept reading generic accounts before this that M1A1's were destroying T-72's at 2+ miles away but didn't realize some of the engagements were really close. This did make me scratch my head though, when the two M3's (the show incorrectly identified them as M2's - since they were part of 2ACR they didn't have any M2's) confronting the RG armor. It looks like they fired the TOW's from a really short distance. I know ATGM's have a minimal arming distance and was wondering if the ranges were exaggerated or if the TOW-2 really had a short arming range like that.

Well done show. They even got Kenneth Pollack who fought the great book Arabs at War.

Waiting for the Golan Heights episode. Hoping they feature Lt. Zvika.

Comment

All of the episodes are outstanding especially the upcoming WW2 tank battles featuring WW2 tank vets themselves telling their stories along with excellent animation...makes you feel like you are right there in the battle.

5 star series all the way through *****
      New Book Release:

"Amazing Airmen": "Canadian Flyers In The Second World War"

www.amazingairmen.com

Comment

I watched the episode on 73 easting, and I really liked it. Well done, to be sure. Why can't the history channel get their act together like this?

Anyways, thought I'd mention that almost all are available on youtube, just look under the related links on youtube, and you'll see the rest of the episodes.

73 Easting

Golan Heights

Allacourt

The Battle of the Bulge

...how useless it was to struggle against fortune, this being the burden of wisdom which the ages had bequeathed to him.

Comment

That does look like a sweet series. Wish they'd put out a show like this that deals with naval battles! I saw the Dogfights episodes that dealt with the Yamato and Bismarck, but there are so many other battles that could have episodes about them!

WAR ON THE WATER
          Episode 1 - Midway
          Episode 2 - Jutland
          Episode 3 - Trafalgar
          Episode 4 - Guadalcanal (November 13 & 15)
          Episode 5 - Savo Island
          Episode 6 - Dogger Bank
          Episode 7 - Warspite vs. German DDs in the Norwegian fjords

Thoughts?

-Matt
          Last edited by Matt Jones; 10 Jan 11, 22:15.
          SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Originally posted by Lucky 6 View Post
            I watched the episode on 73 easting, and I really liked it. Well done, to be sure. Why can't the history channel get their act together like this?
            Not any more. History Channel was really good when they had Dogfights and Shootout on Fightin' Fridays. Now the only chance of seeing combat is if the Old Man shoots Chumley on Pawn Stars (which is a guilty pleasure of mine).

Shootout was better than Combat Zone and Dogfights was better than Showdown: Air Combat.

Greatest Tank battles is like Battlefield: 360 when it featured Patton.

Military Channel used to be Discovery Channel but I think it is now owned by the History Channel, so I wouldn't be surprised if the same producers and graphics company is doing GTB that produced Battlefield and Dogfights.

Comment

Originally posted by RAF21 View Post
              For those who may have missed 'Greatest Tank Battles' on the History Channel this excellent series is now starting on the Military Channel.
              With perhaps the exception of the episodes covering the Arab-Israeli and Gulf War the rest of the series on WWII is pretty much crap. It repeats old myths and tales and is extremely light on accuracy. It makes one wonder what sources they were using.

Interestingly enough, they rely a lot on the memories of veterans and herein lies some of its problems. The recollections of the veterans is often flawed and their impressions not supportable by facts. The episodes covering the war in Russia are probably the worst followed by the fighting in NW Europe.

Very disappointing considering the available sources now in the 21st Century.
              The Purist

Words ought to be a little wild, for they are the assault of thoughts on the unthinking - John Maynard Keynes.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
              X