True Grit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True Grit

Based on the commercials alone, I want to see this flick. It's been ages since I've seen the original. What do you folks think?
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Anything with the divine Jeff Bridges in it is worth seeing in my book. All the reviews I've read are good, and with the Coen Brothers involved it's hard to see where it can go wrong.

I can't wait to see it either but it won't be crossing the pond for a while yet, so if you do go see it, post back with a review if you can. I'd love to hear what you think of it.

"COOMMAAAAAAANNNNDOOOO!!!!!"
    - Mad Jack Churchill.

Comment

I want to see it as well, but I'll wait for it to come out on DVD. Not too many remakes come close to the quality of the original, and well, let's face it...you can't really remake a John Wayne movie.

-Matt
      SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

It speaks volumes on the lack of originality in Hollywood that they continuously dispense remakes instead of coming up with new and fresh ideas. At least this time they used a movie as the basis for the story instead of a defunct television series.
        If there are no dogs in Heaven, then I want to go where they went when they died-Will Rogers

Comment

Originally posted by sherlock View Post

It speaks volumes on the lack of originality in Hollywood that they continuously dispense remakes instead of coming up with new and fresh ideas. At least this time they used a movie as the basis for the story instead of a defunct television series.
          No. It speaks volumes of the advances in the industry.

Most remakes are bogus, but some are not. Most films based on TV are weak marketing ploys, but some are not.

It's possible to do things with film that weren't possible in "the old days."

And it's possible to bring the great enjoyment of those old films to a newer generation, one that is unwilling to taste the pleasures of the old days, and instead require something that looks new. Kids are kids, after all, and people are stupid on top that.

Marketing as well as nostalgia have driven the remakes of the past 10 years or so. But it hasn't been all bad... You can't expect perfection from an industry anymore than from a person.
          "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

i WANNA GO SEE IT
            but the Duke will always hold a special place..

anybody remember seeing the sequel true grit movie with Katherine Hepburn and the Duke... the Corn Dodgers scene always comes to mind?

ďHuman beings are the only creatures who are able to behave irrationally in the name of reason.Ē

Comment

I love that movie...I was so happy when I found it at Wal-Mart in the $5 DVD bin!

-Matt
              SGT, 210th MP Battalion, 2nd MP BDE, MSSG

Fervently PRO-TRUMP, anti-Islam and anti-Steelers!

Comment

Just don't expect Jeff Bridges to be anything like John Wayne. I loved Jeff in that goat movie, but I can't remember him in a Western since "Hearts of the West". The movie "Rancho Deluxe" was better. First time I remember Sam Watterson in a movie. Jeff's meeting of a girl's father wearing a dog mask was pretty good. I bet they don't show his run nude in the same mask in the current dvd's...

Pruitt
                Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Mann III View Post
                  Most remakes are bogus, but some are not. Most films based on TV are weak marketing ploys, but some are not.

I agree. Not all remakes are garbage. Some stand tall alongside the original. And True Grit looks like it will be one of those. I like John Wayne, but I'm not a huge fan. So I don't consider this film sacrilege. Judge the movie on its own merits.

However there are some films that simply cannot possibly be remade successfully. I'll use The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as an example. You just can't possibly replace Eli Wallach as Tuco, Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes, and Eastwood as Blondie. You can't replace Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post

However there are some films that simply cannot possibly be remade successfully. I'll use The Good, the Bad and the Ugly as an example. You just can't possibly replace Eli Wallach as Tuco, Lee Van Cleef as Angel Eyes, and Eastwood as Blondie. You can't replace Sergio Leone and Ennio Morricone.
                    Some films stand as testimony to the art of the day, which would make a remake a marketing failure if tried again. Leone was an artist, that is certain.

Remakes aren't supposed to be replacements though. If the director is a true talent with feelings for the industry, his offering will likely be intended a tribute, not a replacement.

But that leads to artists wanting to branch out, and alter the traditional tale in some fashion. I've heard that the new Star Trek is a fine example of that. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Personally, I think that any film can be done once again, with the same impact, if properly executed. But proper execution is a second-string concern with regards to sales in most cases.

They may well be a replacement actor for every great actor, and a replacement director for great director, who are able to "paint by numbers" until the film is a proper remake, but it's just not worth it except to the true artists in Hollywood, who are becoming fewer and farther between than ever before due to the ease with which any jerkoff can make a feature film these days.

But never say never... I look forward to progress. Acting, production, direction, and everything else in film has advanced by leaps and bounds. The only drawback is that technology kills art, which means the greats don't have to work very hard. Bummer...
                    "This life..., you know, "the life." Youíre not gonna get any medals, kid. This is not a hero business; you donít shoot people from a mile a way. You gotta stand right next to them... blow their heads off."

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                      Based on the commercials alone, I want to see this flick. It's been ages since I've seen the original. What do you folks think?
                      I'm not easy to please.... but it was very good and I hate re-makes. I think you will really enjoy it.
                      My worst jump story:
                      My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                      As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                      No lie.

~
                      "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                      -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by Pruitt View Post
                        Just don't expect Jeff Bridges to be anything like John Wayne. I loved Jeff in that goat movie, but I can't remember him in a Western since "Hearts of the West". The movie "Rancho Deluxe" was better. First time I remember Sam Watterson in a movie. Jeff's meeting of a girl's father wearing a dog mask was pretty good. I bet they don't show his run nude in the same mask in the current dvd's...

Pruitt
                        There will never be an equal to Big John..... but Bridges is good in his own right.
                        My worst jump story:
                        My 13th jump was on the 13th day of the month, aircraft number 013.
                        As recorded on my DA Form 1307 Individual Jump Log.
                        No lie.

~
                        "Everything looks all right. Have a good jump, eh."
                        -2 Commando Jumpmaster

Comment

Originally posted by 101combatvet View Post
                          There will never be an equal to Big John..... but Bridges is good in his own right.
                          Exactly, because he wasn't directed to try to clone the Duke. I actually think Bridges gave a more believable performance of the character, a lot because he wasn't John Wayne and doesn't have the same aura about him.

This movie was great, it wasn't a remake as much as it was a different interpretation of a great book, and stayed true to the ending.
                          Кто там?
                          Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
                          Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by Stryker 19K30 View Post
                            Exactly, because he wasn't directed to try to clone the Duke. I actually think Bridges gave a more believable performance of the character, a lot because he wasn't John Wayne and doesn't have the same aura about him.

This movie was great, it wasn't a remake as much as it was a different interpretation of a great book, and stayed true to the ending.
                            Does the actress who plays Mattie do as good a job at being annoying as the original one? If so, I'm going to pass until it comes to Netflix, and even then it will be a struggle. I can't watch the original True Grit because the Mattie character is so annoying (not saying the actress didn't do a good job - she probably did the job perfectly). But IMHO, the character created Sean Waltman heat, and as a general rule, I changed the channel when Waltman got on the mic.

Comment

The actress that plays Mattie is a lot cuter (this is Hollywood, remember) and appears younger to me. Maybe it was the pigtails (which never seem to be messed up!)? The lady that plays her grown up is pretty believable as an old maid. Kim Darby (?) that played Mattie in the original made the role. She was a bit more average looking, but that was okay.

Pruitt
                              Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X