Who will play Dr. Loveless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who will play Dr. Loveless?

Looks like CBS is going to remake "The Wild Wild West". I wonder who will play Dr. Loveless. I probably won't catch this remake, as I haven't watched the "Hawaii Five-O" remake either. Unless they get someone cool to play Wu Fat, I probably won't watch the "Hawaii Five-O" remake, and unless they can get someone cool to play Dr. Loveless, I probably won't watch this remake either.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEwNZa1bukVyzF

Kenneth Brannaugh?

I thought a remake was already made. A movie, anyway.

That's enough Wild Wild West for me if they aren't going to get it right.
    The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Television executives. The more I think about it, the more I come to believe that any idiot with a GED could do their job.

How much thought did it really take, do you suppose, to pitch the idea to remake another 60's TV show?

Comment

They have a dart board with names of old shows on it. Every year, in some elaborate drunken celebration, some one is selected to throw the dart...
        The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

That's the most logical explanation I've heard...

Originally posted by Hida Akechi View Post
          They have a dart board with names of old shows on it. Every year, in some elaborate drunken celebration, some one is selected to throw the dart...
          There certainly is no thought in it. If there were; they'd realize they're simply "selling" the title. And since most viewers are under 40's; they've never heard of the original.

And for those of us old enough to remember the show; you can pretty much bet we'll think a remake is a flaming POS

You do wonder what their thought process is on this
          Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

One of the mistakes they made in the Will Smith movie (among many) and also in the two tv movies in 1979 and 1980, was the casting and writing for the chief villain. Two from the tv series stand out for me as archtypes they should have emulated: Dr. Loveless and Count Manzeppi (Victor Buono).
            Dwarf actors for Loveless would have worked (how about Warwick Davis [Willow] or a few of the actors in Time Bandits. But they missed the essence of Loveless's character, someone who through genius overcame prejudice against him but chose to not take a high place in the society which had initially rejected him and instead worked to dominate "ALL THE WORLD." And in James West and Artie Gordon you also had likable characters. In a sense you rooted for both sides---a concept the Will Smith movie writers and director missed entirely. Dr. Loveless would not have gratuitously used a tank to kill off many of his potential henchmen [as in the movie] they would have incompetently failed to kill West and/or Gordon.

The proposed new series could work with proper casting and writing, but it's doubtful. A young George Clooney type could work for West and a Warwick Davis type for Loveless (imagine [as an example for motivation] Willow Upgood returns to his village to find some elements of the "good" big folk have mistakenly slaughtered his entire village inhabitants).
            Last edited by Tuor; 18 Nov 10, 19:58.

Comment

Call me sceptical...

There was an easy charm and competence to West and Gordon. These older shows didn't need great special effects, blazing soundtracks, and such.

Somehow the current generation of male actors and directors just can't pull it off. I find the current actors lacking in believeable "maleness?", or some such thing. Sure they can drive a car in a wild chase, but just whomp a guy, believeably? Nope.

Stop the freaking remakes. Come up with an original thought or two!
              Save America!! Impeach Obama!!

Comment

WildWildWest Remake: Dr. Loveless

I don't think there could ever be another Dr. Loveless! He was truly special and "one of a kind". There is a great biography out about him. It is titled The Big Life of a Little Man: Michael Dunn Remembered, and you can Google it for more information. I hope if they do the Remake that Robert Conrad's son & grandson get parts and that Robert Conrad helps direct it. Then maybe it would work!

Comment

I saw (and actually like) the movie, but I've never seen the showq.
                  "Do you like your new weapon? It's wonderful...Try it on yourselves, not others. I told you, this tank reacts to impulses of fear. Try not to think of danger. The machine can read your thoughts..."

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                  X