Overrated Flicks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Overrated Flicks

What movies or filmmakers do you consider to be overrated?
    "They're inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"
    -Baron Munchausen

"Ah, 'tis midsummer madness, the music is my temples, the hot blood of youth! Come, Kapellmeister, let the violas throb. My regiment leaves at dawn!"
    -Groucho Marx

Steven Spielberg.....the master of formulaic predictable films.....

Comment

Just about anything can be over rated.

And I have seen film makers that made ultra successful films, then follow up with schlock.

I think over all, just about every film maker is close to completely incapable of transferring great fiction novels into film simply because the mind can't be readily transferred into visual content.

Example, Dune, considered greatest science fiction story of all time. (that's a consensus opinion gained over many years). But the movie was a massacre. Well known actors couldn't save it. The film butchered the book.

I think over all Lord of the Rings is incredible as films. Not even in the same ball park as the books though. So even acknowledged great films really have little chance.

CGI has not created what we thought would happen ie ultra accurate imagery. We still see factually mangled shots in film attempting to claim historical accuracy. Most of the cgi ladden military documentaries still end up either drawing the wrong image, or just plain offering lousy poorly draw graphics.

And in some cases cgi has been employed like a massive club swung by a brutish orgre. The fact it is cgi is almost a complete slap in the face rather than a subtle tool meant to cleverly disguise details often hard to arrange in the real world.

It has made film makers lazy.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Wes Anderson is one of the most overrated directors and his movies are average at best; he seems to think that a lack of plot and character development can be hidden with enough quirky bs. The two godfather movies are also overrated; I don't think they're horrible films but those flicks are not the best two movies of the '70s, that honor belongs to Barry Lyndon and the Duellists.
        Last edited by The Highwayman; 27 Jul 10, 16:34.
        "They're inviting us to defeat them! We must oblige them!"
        -Baron Munchausen

"Ah, 'tis midsummer madness, the music is my temples, the hot blood of youth! Come, Kapellmeister, let the violas throb. My regiment leaves at dawn!"
        -Groucho Marx

Comment

I heard all the salivating reviews about Avatar. I finally saw it and walked away not impressed. The story line was thin, no acting and all CGI.

It was like watching a video game with barely any human actors.

Comment

The English Patient. "Just DIE already!"

Comment

Jerry Bruckheimer flicks ..crap !
              ' Because it has Electrolytes ! '

regards:
              Henk

Comment

Michael Bay
                45B10 1986-91

Comment

Citizen Kane. Seriously. I just don't understand why its thought of so highly. It puts me to sleep.

Comment

I would agree with Avatar, I thought it was an excellent movie, but I didn't think it deserved the near mania that it induced amongst reviewers. Personally, I liked Titanic better and I am glad that the Academy decided against awarding Avatar the Best Picture award.
                    There cannot be a crisis next week. My schedule is already full. -Henry Kissinger

Comment

Inglorious Basterds. Awful.
                      Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

Comment

Agreed.

I heard all the salivating reviews about Avatar. I finally saw it and walked away not impressed.
                        Agreed.

I would agree with Avatar, I thought it was an excellent movie, but I didn't think it deserved the near mania that it induced among st reviewers.
                        Agreed.
                        Personally, I liked Titanic better
                        Agreed.
                        I am much more of a Titanic fan that an Avatar fan.
                        and I am glad that the Academy decided against awarding Avatar the Best Picture award.
                        Agreed.

Inglorious Bastards. Awful.
                        Totally agreed.
                        It was so fake the acting and the scalping was so disturbing,I felt ill after viewing his movie...and Brad pitts voice annoyed me so much![/QUOTE]

I may offend some members here but I am sorry but I felt that the Pacific series was not up to par as how it was advertised,it looked good when it was advertised but fell short after-wards

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          Just about anything can be over rated.

And I have seen film makers that made ultra successful films, then follow up with schlock.

I think over all, just about every film maker is close to completely incapable of transferring great fiction novels into film simply because the mind can't be readily transferred into visual content.

Example, Dune, considered greatest science fiction story of all time. (that's a consensus opinion gained over many years). But the movie was a massacre.

Well known actors couldn't save it. The film butchered the book.
                          I think over all Lord of the Rings is incredible as films. Not even in the same ball park as the books though. So even acknowledged great films really have little chance.

CGI has not created what we thought would happen ie ultra accurate imagery. We still see factually mangled shots in film attempting to claim historical accuracy. Most of the cgi ladden military documentaries still end up either drawing the wrong image, or just plain offering lousy poorly draw graphics.

And in some cases cgi has been employed like a massive club swung by a brutish orgre. The fact it is cgi is almost a complete slap in the face rather than a subtle tool meant to cleverly disguise details often hard to arrange in the real world.

It has made film makers lazy.
                          Not even close. L Ron had that beat with Battlefield Earth and that was weak. But I agree with your point. Avatar was overrated but LOTR was as close to excellence as you can find (but that like Howard's works are the source for Sword and Fantasy not SciFi) since De Mille and Ben Hur.

Look at Starship Troopers, the greatest SciFi mil story ever written; short of I Robots and Asimov. Fiascos, even with a Will Smith.

It's a genre sorely mis-served. Personally I wait for The Long watch or Space Cadets or The Moon Is a Harsh Mistress.

If they ever do the The Green Hills of Earth. Or Glen Cook's The Black Company; I'll die a contented man.

TD

Comment

Originally posted by llkinak View Post
                            Ha ha I couldn't agree more. Also, something that REALLY IRRITATED me about that movie is the scene where he returned for her corpse. Considering she had lain dead in a cave in extremely hot weather for some time, there would have been some decomposition & rodent attacks etc... I imagine he would be needing a gas mask to remove her body, but he carries it, limp in his arms, and, with tears in his eyes, gazes lovingly while a gentle breeze caresses her golden locks and diaphenous gown....Totally ridiculous. Complete rubbish. An insult to the audience.
                            http://www.doughnuts-blogspot.blogspot.com/

Comment

I would suggest there is a pretty good rule that the more hyped a movie is the more it dissapoints. You either need to get in on the ground floor before the media storm gets going or find it after the fury is over. Avatar is a prime case in point.
                              That said what do I know I liked Valkyrie, which was panned and would put LOTR as top3 movies

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X