Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite Westerns

Dear All,

I wouldnt describe myself as a massive fan of the genre, but that said I have found myself watching quite a few of them these last few months.

My favourites would have to be The Searchers, Pale Rider, Open Range (Robert Duvall is just brilliant in it) and Once Upon A Time In The West.

Can anybody else suggest others worth the watching?
    HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Originally posted by Dogsbody67 View Post
    Dear All,

I wouldnt describe myself as a massive fan of the genre, but that said I have found myself watching quite a few of them these last few months.

My favourites would have to be The Searchers, Pale Rider, Open Range (Robert Duvall is just brilliant in it) and Once Upon A Time In The West.

Can anybody else suggest others worth the watching?
    1. Unforgiven with Clint.
    2. The Outlaw Josey Wales, also with Clint.
    3. Rio Bravo with John, Dean, and Ricky.
    4. Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford. (More of a mountain man flick than a western but definitely worth a look.)

Comment

There are so many good ones, but I don't think you can go wrong with

and

and, on a lighter note

Comment

The Outlaw Josey Wales - Clint Eastwood's best role ever.
        Tombstone - The best Wyatt Earp movie.
        She Wore a Yellow Ribbon - The best US Cavalry movie.
        Fort Apache - The second best US Cavalry movie.
        Shane - Pale Rider is loosely based on this story.
        Silverado - A very "fun" western. John Cleese has a cameo as a sheriff.
        The Shootist - The Duke's last movie.
        True Grit - The Duke's Best Actor Oscar.
        Rio Bravo - The Duke's best western.
        The Magnificent Seven - The Seven Samurai go to Mexico.
        Last edited by The Doctor; 14 Jul 10, 15:02.
        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Such wonderful recommendations so far! Not one I wouldn't recommend has been mentioned. I will add to the list The Man with no Name Trilogy (Fistful of Dollars, For a Few Dollars More, and The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly). If you can get past the voice dubbing (they are Italian films), which is difficult for some people, you can't help but appreciate the artistic brilliance of the director Sergio Leone. Plus these films made Clint Eastwood a major star. I'd also like to recommend High Plains Drifter, another Clint classic, but you should wee the others first.
          Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

No Clint Eastwood western library would be complete without Hang 'em High.

Funny thing... Alan Hale Jr. is in this movie. He played the Skipper on Gilligan's Island. The lyrics to the Gilligan's Island theme song can actually be sung to the tune of Dominic Frontiere's Hang 'em High theme...
            Last edited by The Doctor; 14 Jul 10, 16:10.
            Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

I almost forgot. As much as it pains me to compliment Kevin Kostner on anything, Dances With Wolves was a pretty good flick.

Comment

Cheers for the suggestions. I was going to list ALL of the Eastwood films mentioned as I am a big fan of his but I didn't want to sound like too much of a Clint cheerleader (!) There arent many of his films I wouldn't recommend.
                Last edited by Dogsbody67; 15 Jul 10, 14:56.
                HONNEUR ET FIDÉLITÉ

"Believe me, nothing except a battle lost can be half so melancholy as a battle won." - Duke of Wellington at Waterloo.

Comment

A lot of good picks!

To those I would add:

Lonesome Dove-Not really a movie but it is widely availiable on dvd and stars Robert Duvall and Tommy Lee Jones.
                  El Dorado-Essentially a remake of Rio Bravo with the Duke.
                  Johnson County War-interesting movie that depicts an actual range war starring Tom Berenger. It also stars Burt Reynolds as one mean sob.
                  If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Anything with Clint Eastwood. Just watched Unforgiven again, and it is a magnificent film.
                    Wisdom is personal

Comment

Anything with Eastwood or Wayne. Most TV shows of my youth were ok.
                      Life is change. Built models for decades.
                      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                        Klaudia Tanner
                        by casanova
                        During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                        Yesterday, 23:56
                      • Karri
                        Doom Patrol
                        by Karri
                        Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                        Yesterday, 23:55
                      • Nikki
                        Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                        by Nikki
                        Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                        Yesterday, 23:03
                      Working...
                      X