Watching "Midway" with Fonda & Heston

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Watching "Midway" with Fonda & Heston

I think this classic war drama really needs a modern remake using the newest and greatest in CGI special effects to show the naval battle scenes the way the historians would have liked them shown.

Of course Ben Affleck should not be allowed anywhere near the film set because he will ruin the film. If we really want to, we can give him an oriental makeup so he can make a 3 second appearance as Japanese suicide pilot who flies into the Yorktown and is killed instantly. That way nobody will even know it was Affleck.

The original film uses too much cheap (or more appropriately free) stock footage, for which it was heavily criticized, even though it's an excellent movie overall.

I can imagine lots of possibilities with the remake.

Who's the best war movie director right now?

I think Steven Spielberg would make a good remake, and he would not allow poor actors as part of the cast.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 11 Jun 10, 23:41.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
    --Frederick II, King of Prussia

I always enjoyed that movie as a kid.
    If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Admiral Raymond Spruance

Comment

This film has specific meaning to me personally. I could never see a remake as worthy, juts not possible.

My dad took me to see this at the theatre (yep I saw this the first time in a real movie theatre). It was the last movie we went to as father and son. My dad was never able to do movies much, his leg had an injury from before I was born and movie seats were simply not an option. He just couldn't sit long enough.

I can relate too, my disability makes sitting longer than 30 minutes a major challenge for me. I spend most movies rubbing my knees regardless of how great the seats are.

Oh well, I am sure modern CGI could give us nicer looking battle scenes. But, Hollywood never seems to really care if the tanks planes and ships are drawn correctly. Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Saving Private Ryan, these films are sadly not the norm.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
          This film has specific meaning to me personally. I could never see a remake as worthy, juts not possible.

My dad took me to see this at the theatre (yep I saw this the first time in a real movie theatre). It was the last movie we went to as father and son. My dad was never able to do movies much, his leg had an injury from before I was born and movie seats were simply not an option. He just couldn't sit long enough.

I can relate too, my disability makes sitting longer than 30 minutes a major challenge for me. I spend most movies rubbing my knees regardless of how great the seats are.

Oh well, I am sure modern CGI could give us nicer looking battle scenes. But, Hollywood never seems to really care if the tanks planes and ships are drawn correctly. Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Saving Private Ryan, these films are sadly not the norm.
          The projects you list are all from Spielberg, so with him as director or producer, I think your concerns on machinery would be addressed.

The original film lays it on on the racism angle a bit much with Heston's son's girlfriend and all. They should cut out the PC crap.
          "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
          Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
            The projects you list are all from Spielberg, so with him as director or producer, I think your concerns on machinery would be addressed.

The original film lays it on on the racism angle a bit much with Heston's son's girlfriend and all. They should cut out the PC crap.
            Take a look at the propaganda of the time, the Japanese were dehumanized and villianized almost as much as Nazi propaganda dehumanized the Jews.
            If you can't set a good example, be a glaring warning.

Comment

Originally posted by Freightshaker View Post
              Take a look at the propaganda of the time, the Japanese were dehumanized and villianized almost as much as Nazi propaganda dehumanized the Jews.
              Yeah, I know. I just think that element in the film is contrived. Interracial relationships in the 1940s were extremely rare and viewed as kind of weird even without the attack on Pearl Harbor. Just sayin' is all.
              "The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made."
              Groucho Marx

Comment

Actually, PC is likely what kills most remakes for me.

I loathe racism, but I also detest people refusing to accept that history is about remembering the truth of the past as much as possible, and editing out the nasty aspects, is not a good idea.

I've yet to see for instance, a war movie that does proper credit to the fact that in WW2, in the US, being black meant you simply weren't good enough for a real combat unit. They actually thought black people simply couldn't be trained, as if they were somehow racially inferior. So the few documentaries featuring the few black units, sure shove it in the face of the viewer, that back in the 40s, blacks simply weren't worth much to their nation.

It goes a long way past just what it was to be of Japanese decent in the US.

I've watched a number of documentaries of the years right after the war, and man, there is NO way it could be filmed like that today. I think that is why most modern documentaries with their overly clever CGI which is always poorly drawn all the same, never really come close to being the equal of the older series, simply because they are too polite, and too clean.

You watch a show where it is always 'the jap' this and 'the jap' that. And you can hear the venom in the voice. There was no love lost, and people should remember that when they discuss things like dropping the bomb on Japan. The people of 1945 had no problems nuking the Japanese. Truman might have had concerns, the pilot of the Enola Gay might have had concerns, but Joe Public, if he had been told of this weapon in advance, likely wouldn't have had any qualms about using it at all if it meant the guy next door's son could come home safe.
                Life is change. Built models for decades.
                Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                  Actually, PC is likely what kills most remakes for me.

I loathe racism, but I also detest people refusing to accept that history is about remembering the truth of the past as much as possible, and editing out the nasty aspects, is not a good idea.

I've yet to see for instance, a war movie that does proper credit to the fact that in WW2, in the US, being black meant you simply weren't good enough for a real combat unit. They actually thought black people simply couldn't be trained, as if they were somehow racially inferior. So the few documentaries featuring the few black units, sure shove it in the face of the viewer, that back in the 40s, blacks simply weren't worth much to their nation.

It goes a long way past just what it was to be of Japanese decent in the US.

I've watched a number of documentaries of the years right after the war, and man, there is NO way it could be filmed like that today. I think that is why most modern documentaries with their overly clever CGI which is always poorly drawn all the same, never really come close to being the equal of the older series, simply because they are too polite, and too clean.

You watch a show where it is always 'the jap' this and 'the jap' that. And you can hear the venom in the voice. There was no love lost, and people should remember that when they discuss things like dropping the bomb on Japan. The people of 1945 had no problems nuking the Japanese. Truman might have had concerns, the pilot of the Enola Gay might have had concerns, but Joe Public, if he had been told of this weapon in advance, likely wouldn't have had any qualms about using it at all if it meant the guy next door's son could come home safe.
                  I think you and I agree in this matter quite a bit. I would add that there were German and Italian-Americans interned during WWII, but is completely ignored by historians so we can focus on the PC/Japanese-American story. Not saying it was right to round up the Japanese citizenry, but we probably did net some spies.
                  Groucho Marx

Comment

Originally posted by MonsterZero View Post
                    Of course Ben Affleck should not be allowed anywhere near the film set because he will ruin the film. If we really want to, we can give him an oriental makeup so he can make a 3 second appearance as Japanese suicide pilot who flies into the Yorktown and is killed instantly. That way nobody will even know it was Affleck.
                    Hilarious!!

I liked the original a lot especially considering it was 1976 but of course a modern remake would be great, especially done by Spielberg / Dreamworks.

Comment

Originally posted by Catman View Post
                      The original film lays it on on the racism angle a bit much with Heston's son's girlfriend and all.
                      The fictional affair between an active duty naval officer and a Japanese woman is so preposterous it could have been dreamed up only in the hippie decade of the 1970s. It should have never been in the movie. It's utter b.s. that fails every plausibility test and I think one of the low points in the overall excellent picture.

As you know during the war the anti-Japanese racism was so severe the Japanese people were drawn as anthropomorphic rats and other rodents in mainstream American press, not some underground website run by a wacko but mainstream newspapers. It makes the so called Islamophobia of today look mild in comparison.

Last edited by MonsterZero; 13 Jun 10, 05:21.

"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a ugly brawl."
                      --Frederick II, King of Prussia

Comment

I think Ridley Scott could be trusted to do a more than adequate remake.

Comment

It was a great movie, no remake could do it justice.
                          War is less costly than servitude

Comment

Originally posted by Naffenea View Post
                            I think Ridley Scott could be trusted to do a more than adequate remake.
                            You have more faith in Ridley Scott than I do. I think the only real choice for historical accuracy in Hollywood today is Spielberg. There might be some newbies out there we haven't heard from yet.

Spielberg is one of us, a WWII junkie. He wouldn't have stock footage of Corsairs or Messershmidts at Midway.
                            Groucho Marx

Comment

I doubt either Scott or Spielberg can give the story a fair shake.

As for the authenticity of equipment, it's really a question of money. If you throw enough money at it, you'll get authenticity.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X