"The Walking Dead" coming to AMC this Fall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "The Walking Dead" coming to AMC this Fall

Zombie fans rejoice! The spectacular comic/graphic novel series "The Walking Dead" is coming to AMC this Fall as a TV series!

Here is the news article on it from a few months back:
    AMC Greenlights Six Episodes of The Walking Dead Set to Premiere in October 2010

AMC announced yesterday it has greenlit The Walking Dead as a six-episode series based on the comic book series written by Robert Kirkman and published by Image Comics. Kirkman serves as an executive producer on the project and three-time Academy Award-nominee Frank Darabont (The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile) serves as writer, director and executive producer. Gale Anne Hurd (The Terminator, Aliens, Armageddon, The Incredible Hulk), chairman of Valhalla Motion Pictures, serves as Executive Producer. David Alpert from Circle of Confusion serves as Executive Producer. Today's announcement also includes the addition of Charles "Chic" Eglee (Dexter, The Shield, Dark Angel) as Executive Producer, and actor Jon Bernthal (The Pacific, The Ghost Writer) who will portray the character Shane.

The Walking Dead begins production in June in Atlanta with six, one-hour episodes for season one. The series is set to premiere in October 2010 during AMC's Fearfest, the network's annual blockbuster marathon of thriller and horror films. AMC Fearfest (formerly known as MonsterFest) is celebrating its 14th year by airing 14 consecutive days of themed programming with more than 50 films. AMC announced development of The Walking Dead in August 2009 and announced the pilot in January of this year.

"AMC strives to make original shows that play like movies and The Walking Dead is a perfect complement to the network's celebrated movie franchise, Fearfest, which has always been an important destination for our audience," said Charlie Collier, AMC President. "With its depth of story and the remarkable talent attached, The Walking Dead gives us an opportunity to raise the bar significantly within this popular genre, and continue our commitment to being the home of premium programming on basic cable."

"The Walking Dead is that rare piece of material that plays on many levels," says Joel Stillerman, Senior Vice President of Programming, Production and Digital Content. "Kirkman's series brilliantly captures the social commentary and ongoing human drama of the zombie apocalypse; and let's us kick a little zombie you-know-what from time to time."

The Walking Dead tells the story of the months and years that follow after a zombie apocalypse. It follows a group of survivors, led by police officer Rick Grimes, who travel in search of a safe and secure home. The comic goes on to explore the challenges of life in a world overrun by zombies who take a toll on the survivors, and sometimes the interpersonal conflicts present a greater danger to their continuing survival than the zombies that roam the country. Over time, the characters are changed by the constant exposure to death and some grow willing to do anything to survive.

AMC's Joel Stillerman, senior vice president of original programming, production and digital content, Susie Fitzgerald, senior vice president scripted development and current programming, and Vlad Wolynetz, vice president of production, series and movies, oversee the development and production of the new drama.

Today's announcement marks the fourth original series greenlight for AMC. The first three were Mad Men, Breaking Bad, and Rubicon. AMC is the only network, in television history, to win three consecutive Golden Globe awards for best dramatic series for Mad Men (2008, 2009, 2010). The first two seasons of Breaking Bad awarded the outstanding lead actor Emmy award to Bryan Cranston for his portrayal of lead character Walt White. Rubicon, a conspiracy thriller starring James Badge Dale (HBO's The Pacific), premieres this summer.
    Here is the blog page for it:
    http://blogs.amctv.com/the-walking-dead/

Here are the first photos of the "zombies":
    http://blogs.amctv.com/photo-galleri...-gallery-1.php

And here is an interview with the director, Frank Darabont:
    http://link.brightcove.com/services/...id=89381265001

The comic series website:
    http://www.hiddenrobot.com/WALKINGDEAD/

If they can keep the same quality of production that they put into "Mad Men" & do a good job of sticking to the series, this could be an amazing project. I'm crossing my fingers on this one.
    The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

DARN!!

I thought you meant they made a movie out of this very good book.

Comment

Thanks for the heads up, Hellboy!

Love Zombie movies!
      Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=27551
        With 75 issues of "The Walking Dead" and a freshly earned Eisner award under his belt, it's safe to assume that Robert Kirkman knows a thing or two about zombies. But the comic book creator and Image Comics partner is exploring unchartered undead territory as he brings a television adaptation of "The Walking Dead" to the AMC network alongside director-writer-producer Frank Darabont and executive producer Gale Anne Hurd. As an executive producer and one of the show's head writers, Kirkman has a rare opportunity to reexamine the earliest days of Rick Grimes and his not-so-merry band of survivors - and based on the crowd's response to footage premiered at Comic-Con International in San Diego, the fans are on his side.

At Comic-Con International in San Diego, Kirkman spoke with CBR News about "The Walking Dead," the differences between writing for television as opposed to comics, revisiting the early days of the series, interacting with the cast, joining the AMC family and much more.
        CBR News: Robert, let's get the big scoop out of the way - is Carl wearing a Science Dog T-shirt on the show?

Robert Kirkman: Technically, that looks a little bit like a bear paw to me. [Laughs] It's kind of a funny thing. Yes, that is a Science Dog shirt. I know that Carl wears a Science Dog shirt on the cover of issue #3 and I think he wears it at some point in the comic, but I'm not really sure. But I just ended up in the wardrobe trailer and I walked by and saw that shirt. I was like, "What?!" I took a picture for ["Science Dog" co-creator] Cory Walker and sent it to him.
        It's awesome, because I don't think that AMC technically has the rights to that image, but I'm not really going to say anything. It's fine. It's a fun Easter egg. Or maybe AMC now owns that logo forever! I was telling Cory that I want to have them walk by a derelict donut shop in "The Walking Dead" comic that's called "Bear Claws," and it has that logo. See, it's just a bear claw! That's not Science Dog. So basically, that's not the Science Dog logo. It's the Bear Claws logo.

Obviously, surreal is the word that keeps getting batted around with this project...

Surreal is the word I have to say in every single interview. Please don't make me say it.

But is this starting to get a little bit real now? You're going around doing a lot of interviews for the show, you're talking about it more, you're writing episodes and you've been on set for a decent amount of time. Does it feel like it's starting to getting more and more fleshed out?

Yeah, it definitely does. It's coming together and it's looking amazing. Everything I've seen looks really good. It looks like there's a real TV show and people really like it. I was talking to the people at AMC, saying that you don't really get comic book adaptations where people aren't complaining about something. I think "Iron Man" is the only real example where they started releasing photos and people were like, "I approve!" You don't get "I approve" a lot. But AMC is releasing great photos, we have a great cast and you have guys like [makeup and special effects creator] Greg Nicotero doing effects. They've just done a really good job. I haven't seen anybody saying, "Well, I'm not too sure about this."

It's not my work, so I'm not sitting there going around saying, "Alright, good job!" I am incredibly pleased with myself for picking a good team and letting them make this thing and seeing how good of a job they're doing with it. I mean, look. It's a series. It could jump the shark at any minute. But right now, for now, it looks amazing. The pilot is looking really good. I think people are going to be blown away. They're not expecting what they're going to see. It's not anything you've ever seen on television.

Comics is a very collaborative medium by its nature, and you've worked with some amazing artists. This is a different kind of collaboration, but there are some similarities. Can you talk about the learning curve between going from comics to working on television?

It's kind of a test as far as your insecurities with yourself go. It's really kind of remarkable, because the writers room has guys like Chic Eglee, Jack LoGuidice and Adam Fierro, and Glen Mazzara is coming in to do some freelance writing, then Frank is writing the first two episodes. But it's guys who really respect each other sitting around in a room shitting on each other's ideas. [Laughs] It's a lot of fun, because you'll go around and it's like, "I think this should happen. I don't think that should happen because it's stupid." "Well, actually, that would lead to this, and that would be a problem." Every single angle that could possibly be thought of for a story is all worked out, and that's kind of amazing.

Sometimes I just sit there and watch one guy suggest, "Hey, we should make this guy drive a car." And then this other guy would say, "Oh, that would be kind of cool if he drove a car. We could do that!" Then someone says, "Well, if he drives a car, maybe he could drive it this way." Then another guy will be like, "Oh, yeah, do that!" Then the first guy who suggested the idea will go, "You know what, that's probably not a good idea. Let's not do that because of this." You just suggested this! What's going on?! [Laughs] But it's just a bunch of guys talking about story in a room, which is something I've never really experienced before.

To be honest, I really enjoy it. It's a lot of fun feeling like you've kind of beaten the crap out of your story. With the book, people seem to like it and I don't like to second guess myself. I usually like to plow forward and if that seems like a good idea, let's do it. If it seems like a mistake, I'll deal with it, you know? I like that for the comics. That's a lot of fun for me.

You wrote the script for episode four. What was that process like? How different was it from writing the comics?

It was a lot of fun. Like I've said, it's a collaborative process. I wrote the episode, I actually worked on the physical script, but I sat in a room for weeks talking with the guys about what I was going to do and what they thought about it, so there are a lot of hands on that script, just like there is in any television script. But it's a thrill. It's also incredibly nerve-wracking to be writing dialogue and imagining that someone is going to be reading this in front of other people - that's a little crazy! But it was a lot of fun. I was on set for most of the filming of that episode, and they're still shooting it right now. AMC was kind of like, "Hey, we really like having you on set and everything, but you need to be at Comic-Con." So I'm not getting to see most of it, but the director on that episode is Johan Renck. He's a Swedish fellow and a totally cool guy, and I had a lot of fun spending time with him. It's fun seeing him shoot scenes from a script that I wrote. It's pretty cool.
        You can read the rest of the interview at the link.

Here is a link to the motion comic, which is pretty cool:http://www.amctv.com/originals/The-W...d=167654562001

Oh, and since this is filming in Atlanta, one of the girls I work with is getting to go down every week & help on the set-her sister is in charge of feeding the folks on the film set & she comes home after every weekend to tell me some of the cool stuff she has seen.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Looking forward to the show. The books are really good.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Trailer from Comic Con 2010.
            "I saw myself founding a new religion, marching
            into Asia riding an elephant, a turban on my
            head and in my hands the new Koran I would
            have written to suit my needs." - Napoléon Bonaparte

Comment

I'm torn, I loved the comics until around volume 8 or so maybe. And I just lost steam with them. I guess I need to give it a go, but I became less interested in the direction it was going.

It is however everything that makes a zombie tale great (meaning - it's not really about zombies).
              “To discriminate against a thoroughly upright citizen because he belongs to some particular church, or because, like Abraham Lincoln, he has not avowed his allegiance to any church, is an outrage against that liberty of conscience which is one of the foundations of American life.”

Comment

Just a reminder, this starts this Sunday!!! Be sure to tune in!

Comment

Really curious about the series, but also kind of scared. I love the comics - they have slowed down a bit since the extremely well written, gripping and ultimately depressing "prison arc", but with the recent issues it seems to pick up speed again.

I'm scared because TV productions can often be disappointing compared to the source material, but I'm hoping for the best.
                  One Strikeout is a tragedy, a million Strikeouts are a statistic.
                  - "Stallin' Joe" Dshugashvili, Manager of the Moscow Red Stars 1922 - 1953

Comment

I will definitely be watching tomorrow night! Should lead to some "good dreams", I'm hoping.
                    "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                    -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Well, what did you think? I liked the opening. It did a decent job of setting up main guy. Next week should pick up more...especially once he meets up with his old partner!
                      "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
                      -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

We watched the first hour. We recorded it and will finish watching it tonight. I thought it was pretty darn good.

I'm not familiar with the books/comics; so I didn't have any preconceptions about the story or characters.
                        Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Glad to hear it. I missed it, but will circle around to record it when it reruns.
                          RPG Wisdom: There is nothing more exhilarating than having an opponent roll to hit without result.

Warhammer 40K Wisdom: Heresy grows from buggy servers.

Try to learn the difference between prudence and paranoia.

Comment

I enjoyed it.
                            "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Oops

Thought it was on next Sunday, I'll have to "on demand it" this morning and see how it is.

Cheers, AMC seems to be really got it going on these days, MM is great, the other two are so so, but interesting none the less. I'll have low expectations but hope to be surprised in a good way when I watch it.

Tom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X