History Channel's The Story of Us

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post
    I really question that. I mean kids hardly listen when their favorite celebrities tell them not to do drugs.
    True. Younger kids want things broken down for them in bite sized nuggets without having to think: just see. To the student audience, all the 'old guys' telling them about history are just talking heads, regardless of their field.
    The things kids really digest is what their favorite rock star is wearing.

Comment

Originally posted by TJAdams View Post
      True. Younger kids want things broken down for them in bite sized nuggets without having to think: just see. To the student audience, all the 'old guys' telling them about history are just talking heads, regardless of their field.
      The things kids really digest is what their favorite rock star is wearing.
      Well as I keep stressing, kids can actually be motivated to be interested in history, but you can't trivalize it. You have to actively engaged them and get their attention. Alot of times kids who are interested don't know where to look for information because they're surrounded by garbage passing off as "history". And you need to have some real substance to it, and not just fancy computer graphics and hip celebrities telling you how cool George Washington was(when otherwise they could care less about history). I mean let's not insult kids' intelligence while we're trying to educate them.

No, you need some real substance behind your message. I've actually got younger people hooked on older documentary series because they're impressed with the actual depth they cover on historical topics. Of course it helps when they have somebody they know guiding them through it(although that's something History Channel can't help).
      Last edited by Pilsudski; 12 Jul 10, 19:44.
      "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."
      --Marshal Józef Piłsudski

Comment

Originally posted by Pilsudski View Post
        Well as I keep stressing, kids can actually be motivated to be interested in history, but you can't trivalize it. You have to actively engaged them and get their attention. Alot of times kids who are interested don't know where to look for information because they're surrounded by garbage passing off as "history". And you need to have some real substance to it, and not just fancy computer graphics and hip celebrities telling you how cool George Washington was(when otherwise they could care less about history). I mean let's not insult kids' intelligence while we're trying to educate them.

No, you need some real substance behind your message. I've actually got younger people hooked on older documentary series because they're impressed with the actual depth they cover on historical topics. Of course it helps when they have somebody they know guiding them through it(although that's something History Channel can't help).
        I think we may be kicking around the same can & just don't realize it. I can agree with what you are saying depending on the age group & possibly ethnicity. I think for some it will work like you said, but others it might work like I am saying. I think they tried to combine both in the show.
        The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by hellboy30 View Post
          I think we may be kicking around the same can & just don't realize it. I can agree with what you are saying depending on the age group & possibly ethnicity. I think for some it will work like you said, but others it might work like I am saying. I think they tried to combine both in the show.
          That could be. I don't deny you honestly want young people interested in history; I'm just questioning if this approach works. Although I'm speaking in a general sense, since I haven't seen this particular series.
          "To be defeated and not submit, is victory; to be victorious and rest on one's laurels, is defeat."

Comment

Perhaps something along the lines of Simon Schama's approach would do?

And just for laughs

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
            X