Doctor Who

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctor Who

I wonder what the reaction of those forum members who have seen the new series of Doctor Who, is to Matt Smith as the new doctor having taken over from the David Tennett. Personnally I think Matt Smith is doing a good job and my children after some specticism are coming around to that view too.
    War is less costly than servitude

...who?
    ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
    IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

He's okay. Still preferred David and Chris as the newer cadre of Doctors. View may change.
      How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I just discovered Dr Who on BBC America when I saw the change to the 11th Doctor and I am hooked. I even went out and bought the 1963 William Hartnell DVD's and I even like those!!

I like the new Doctor a lot, I think that if I had discovered Doctor Who during the Tennant years I wouldn't have become a fan, not that I don't like him but Matt Smith has really drawn me in.

All my friends that are Star Wars geeks don't get what I see in Doctor Who but it has now replaced Star Wars as my IP of choice.

Comment

I never got into Dr Who. Why he didn't just run up a flight of stairs when the Daleks chased him was beyond me.
          Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
            I never got into Dr Who. Why he didn't just run up a flight of stairs when the Daleks chased him was beyond me.
            Daleks can fly.

Comment

If you get into Doctor Who cold turkey, and love it, you tend to favour the Doctor who first got you hooked. For me that is Tom Baker from back in the 80's. However, I've really enjoyed the new series and each of the most recent Docs. Hard to pick from some very good episodes in the last few years, but the 2 parter Satan Pit was some of the most epic Doctor Who I've seen.

I have yet to see the very latest. Can't wait!
              Our forefathers died to give us freedom, not free stuff.

I write books about zombies as E.E. Isherwood. Check me out at ZombieBooks.net.

Comment

Originally posted by Siberian HEAT View Post
                If you get into Doctor Who cold turkey, and love it, you tend to favour the Doctor who first got you hooked. For me that is Tom Baker from back in the 80's. However, I've really enjoyed the new series and each of the most recent Docs. Hard to pick from some very good episodes in the last few years, but the 2 parter Satan Pit was some of the most epic Doctor Who I've seen.

Everyone seems to really love Tom Baker. I am watching from the beginning so have a long way to go before I get to the 4th Doctor.

I will say though that the 1st Doctor is really a jerk. When Matt Smith is being a jerk there is a sort of humor to it, but not with the 1st Doctor he was all serious all the time it seems. Shows how the series as grown from 1963 to 2010 of course...
                Last edited by A7V; 25 May 10, 16:44.

Comment

If you get into Doctor Who cold turkey, and love it, you tend to favour the Doctor who first got you hooked.
                  That may be why I like the first doctor, William Hartnell. I watched the series from the begining when I would often hid behind the sofa to watch it. However I am impressed by the new Doctor, Matt Smith.
                  War is less costly than servitude

Comment

The latest Dr. Who is quite brilliant. Here in Oz we're halfway throiugh the episode on the Silurians. Matt Smith is very good and I'd warmed to him halfway through the first episode of the new series. David Tennant was good but he palled after a while, or maybe it was the over complex plots of Russell T Davies.
                    The latest series has a few teasers - the crack in the wall etc.
                    Was also a big fan of Torchwood, especially The Children of Earth.

Comment

Same here......I started watching when Tom was there & faithfully watched his entire time on the show. I gave up on the show a while back, but got back into it with the newer stuff & have found it to be quite good. I'm trying to get the kids hooked on it......just like throwing spagetti against a wall, I'm just curious to see if it will stick.
                      The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

Originally posted by kendrick View Post
                        I wonder what the reaction of those forum members who have seen the new series of Doctor Who, is to Matt Smith as the new doctor having taken over from the David Tennett. Personnally I think Matt Smith is doing a good job and my children after some specticism are coming around to that view too.
                        Saw the begining of a couple of episodes with the new guy on BBC America. Didn't finish watching 'em since - to me - he just didn't "have it".
                        " Reality is interpretation according to a scheme which we cannot escape "

Comment

I Like Eccleston, Tennant and Smith

I only got into The Doctor when the modern series started with Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper. I was hooked with the first show, although I may have watched the series as much for Billie as for anything else.

I was initially disappointed by Christopher not renewing for the second series, but David Tennant's portrayal brought me around. I also agree about the complexity of the scripts during this period. While I liked the individual episodes I could never follow the over-arching story lines involving cross-dimensional travel and alternate time-lines.

Matt Smith is great. He has the look of someone going his own way and can't understand why no one else can see events unfolding the way he does.

Companions? Billie Piper of course, and Freema Agyeman was good, but I just couldn't get into Catherine Tate. Karen Gillan so far is top notch. I also like Alex Kingston as Dr River Song, the possibly future Doctor's wife.

Technically, I was disappointed that the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation dropped out of the production side of the series. It used to show all of the episodes in HD. The channel in Canada that picked up the series doesn't have an HD option.

Cheers,
                          Dan.
                          So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Originally posted by A7V View Post
                            but not with the 1st Doctor he was all serious all the time it seems.
                            Not always, actually. Watch "The Romans" for an example of the 1st Doctor doing comic.

Did anyone here see Doctor Who Live!
                            Silent Hunter UK
                            Member of Phoenix Roleplaying

Personal Blog

Comment

I am a fan of the Doctor. Matt Smith isn't my favorite, but he's not bad (he's too young for one thing). I think he's a lot better than some of the other actors that played the Doctor.

I do prefer Tennant or Baker or Davidson over Smith.

My problem with the current series is Moffat. He certainly does make me miss Davies. His storyline is convoluted and patchy. And I'm not overly fond of his attempt to completely re-write what was accomplished during Davies' tenure in charge.

I also wish nothing but pain and suffering on River Song. I can't stand that character. I miss Captain Jack.
                              The First Amendment applies to SMS, Emails, Blogs, online news, the Fourth applies to your cell phone, computer, and your car, but the Second only applies to muskets?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X