Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacific, the show as a whole.

It's over, watched the last show.

Many have said many things about the show, in the end, the show had the thoughts and the input of men who were actually there.

If they were ok with the show, I am not so stupid as to think I know better.

Technical gaffes? Not impossible.

But I found it to be a decent tribute to the men that went through the experience. As if I am in any position to really say.

It's on my purchase list.

Mountain Man, you said 10 was a waste of time, to me, it was in my view like the last episode of Band of Brothers, the hardest part to watch. The part where the survivors get to remember.

I am just glad I have never experienced anything like that myself.

It was certainly better than the routine crap Hollywood shoves on us.
    I don't think it was just a means to make a buck off the dead like so much film feels like.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
    It's over, watched the last show.

Many have said many things about the show, in the end, the show had the thoughts and the input of men who were actually there.

If they were ok with the show, I am not so stupid as to think I know better.

Technical gaffes? Not impossible.

But I found it to be a decent tribute to the men that went through the experience. As if I am in any position to really say.

It's on my purchase list.

Mountain Man, you said 10 was a waste of time, to me, it was in my view like the last episode of Band of Brothers, the hardest part to watch. The part where the survivors get to remember.

I am just glad I have never experienced anything like that myself.

It was certainly better than the routine crap Hollywood shoves on us.
    I don't think it was just a means to make a buck off the dead like so much film feels like.
    Your opinion, just as mine was my opinion.

Comment

Never said you couldn't have one Mountain Man

I saw a lot of comments regarding the historicity of the series.

Myself, I wasn't there, and I can't claim to have read every book and gone over each page with a fine toothed comb.

I know this much, compared with f**king objectionable filth like the movie Pearl Harbour or Windtalkers or Thin Red Line, the series The Pacific is incredibly well done as video entertainment.

And just as with Saving Private Ryan, which gained praise from the veterans gaining in the Normandie award, sometimes some of us loud mouthed arm chair generals are just mouthy hot air

Comment

Hope the series is out by Christmas.
        "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
        -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

8/10
          Last edited by Cult Icon; 19 May 10, 21:09.

Comment

The Pacific had some European warfare,it had some great moments,I give it 5/10.

Comment

9.5 / 10!!

Comment

I don't use 10 hours in HD on my DVR unless its pretty good stuff. Having read With the Old Breed, and in this months MHQ, Leckie's excerpt on the Tenaru (aks Alligator) River battle, I would have to say that the action was depicted as true to life as was possible. The rush across the airfield on Pelelue was was as gutwrentching as anything in SPR or BOB!
                Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

I think that the combat scenes in The Pacific did a better job of portraying the intensity,insanity and chaos of battle.I don't have first hand experience,but to me,The Pacific seemed to come closer to what I've read by those who were in combat.I feel the Pacific was an excellent series.I hope the production team works on another series.Maybe this time from Korea or Vietnam.
                  ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                    I think that the combat scenes in The Pacific did a better job of portraying the intensity,insanity and chaos of battle.I don't have first hand experience,but to me,The Pacific seemed to come closer to what I've read by those who were in combat.I feel the Pacific was an excellent series.I hope the production team works on another series.Maybe this time from Korea or Vietnam.
                    That would be terrific, if they did!!

Comment

Korea might be nice.

Might be a tad tricky what with the current climate in Korea though.

I don't want the show mired in the same crap that BSG went through with complaints it was just oblique commentary on Iraq.

Mostly I'd like to see something from one of the other allied nations. Canada naturally, but Britain as well and the Anzacs also can field units that saw a lot of action.

The British Desert Rats saw a lot of action. The only problem I can think of, is the time period being so long after the events, it might be too late to find veterans still alive to give the show the appeal of having real participants adding some tangible credibility to the show.

If the two shows BoB and The Pacific had NOT had the real men speaking of their experiences, my interest would plunge, as I already have hundreds of hours of fine documentaries. Battle line for instance is two men that were there telling of their experiences. Good luck outdoing something like that.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                        Mostly I'd like to see something from one of the other allied nations. Canada naturally, but Britain as well and the Anzacs also can field units that saw a lot of action.
                        I would be just as happy with that!This is a concept that should be expanded upon.Provided the production teams strive for the same quality that was shown during BoB and The Pacific.There's so much material to choose from.
                        ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I hope the production team works on another series.Maybe this time from Korea or Vietnam.
                          These series should satay as WWII theme storyline.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
                            These series should satay as WWII theme storyline.
                            Nah war is hell regardless Heidi. What has made BoB and The Pacific noteworthy, is it's been about real people, not just a made up story for Hollywood to cash in on.

Korea was no picnic for the men that were there.

And although Vietnam eventually gained an ugly aspect, it was still a conflict that affected men in uniform the way all wars do.

The only sad truths of Korea and Vietnam, is to be honest, they were not wars per se, and the combatants weren't obliged to behave themselves in the usual fashion. Korea is today, a place with two sides not having had to say they surrendered. It was an agreed desire to chill out. The North could come flying over the border at any moment and it would merely be just a resumption of hostilities with no reason to call it otherwise.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                              They could just follow "Chesty" Puller to Korea....
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X