Russian TV Drama about Chechnya War

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian TV Drama about Chechnya War

I ran across this last week, just finished watching it today. There's no subtitles, but you can watch the entire series, about four chapters long. Very well done. Story mixes their civilian lives with their military term at a good pace. Kind of a Band of Brothers/We Were Soldiers mix type of story. Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdHnG...eature=related

"Never push the red button" Daffy Duck

Just watched the first part and its bloody interesting. Just read a book on Chechnya in the early war -95. This is a great other persepective

Comment

It's not bad for a patriotic state-produced movie, especially compared to some others dealing with this time period.
      www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
        It's not bad for a patriotic state-produced movie, especially compared to some others dealing with this time period.
        It is obviously looking at it from an offricial viewpoint. Like all conflicts there are good and bad on both sides.
        #
        I read Chechnya by two authors that did a lot of work in the region and you could tell that, although they pitied the conscripts, they leaned towards the Chechen view. IU actually felt myself feeling for them even when terrorist attacks were carried out (the kidnappings by Bayesev and Raduyev). Felt it was time i looked at the other view.

I hate to read bias reporting and even if I agree with one side always want to look at the other just to be able to say I have looked at all angles and still think this.

The way the reporting on Chechnya went they shot themselves in the foot with the terror attacks. People seemed to see Russia as the big bad wolf and the Chechens as the poor defenceless people. The terror attacks changed that view.

Comment

Originally posted by Anglopole View Post
          The way the reporting on Chechnya went they shot themselves in the foot with the terror attacks. People seemed to see Russia as the big bad wolf and the Chechens as the poor defenceless people. The terror attacks changed that view.
          That, by the way, constitutes a large part of the reason Russians resent the West so much. Granted, it's only a continiuation of a centuries of the "Big Bad Bear" trend, but too many Russians had high hopes the collapse of the USSR would help the West change attitudes. Didn't work out back then, let's see how the "restart" will fare. As it seems now, even if abominable Zombies invaded Russia from outer space, the Western media would be rooting-tooting for them just out of spite and old hate.
          www.histours.ru

Siege of Leningrad battlefield tour

Comment

Originally posted by Anglopole View Post
            It is obviously looking at it from an offricial viewpoint. Like all conflicts there are good and bad on both sides.
            #
            I read Chechnya by two authors that did a lot of work in the region and you could tell that, although they pitied the conscripts, they leaned towards the Chechen view. IU actually felt myself feeling for them even when terrorist attacks were carried out (the kidnappings by Bayesev and Raduyev). Felt it was time i looked at the other view.

I hate to read bias reporting and even if I agree with one side always want to look at the other just to be able to say I have looked at all angles and still think this.

Much like the wonderful unbiased reporting about 08\08\08? But there are plenty of threads about that...

I have only watched a couple parts of this, I think there are some bootleg DVDs of it laying around my flat, might check the rest of it out if I get bored. I think the part that sticks out the most is some terrorist giving a 8 year old girl a WWF style backbreaker.
            Кто там?
            Это я - Почтальон Печкин!
            Tunis is a Carthigenian city!

Comment

Originally posted by ShAA View Post
              That, by the way, constitutes a large part of the reason Russians resent the West so much. Granted, it's only a continiuation of a centuries of the "Big Bad Bear" trend, but too many Russians had high hopes the collapse of the USSR would help the West change attitudes. Didn't work out back then, let's see how the "restart" will fare. As it seems now, even if abominable Zombies invaded Russia from outer space, the Western media would be rooting-tooting for them just out of spite and old hate.
              Definitely have a point there.

The way things have been handled by Russia since 89 seems to have been hit and miss. Though I think it is hard to be impartial when you automatically see reports of Russian aggression. The modern day citizen of a democratic country sees things through the eyes of a powerful media that has aims of its own.

The Russia-Georgia conflict is a prime example. Poor little Georgia seemed to be the consensus in the West. No thought given to the ethnic Russians, Abkhazians etc.

Comment

Storm Gates

I got the english subtitled version from ebay, about 4 years ago,
                It's called "the Storm Gates".
                Also available in germany under the cheasy title Chechenia Warrior 1+2.:
                (German Distrubutors are known for titling (butchering) foreign films)
                http://www.amazon.de/s/ref=nb_sb_nos...rrior&x=9&y=25

There is another interesting film about that conflict starring alex Shadov:

"ALIVE"
                It's about 3 chechenia vets coming home, 2 not accepting that they are dead. It's made in the "Sixt Sense" movie fashion, very interesting.
                Will try to find a link for it later.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                X