Favorite movie of the 80's!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favorite movie of the 80's!!!

What was you favorite movie of that great, innovative & vibrant decade known as the 80's???

My choice would be ""The Right Stuff."" For that awesome, captivating & very uplifting (no pun intended!) movie about America's first astronauts just blew me the f*** away!

For it was filled with so much compelling, "gripping" drama, this undeniable, larger-than-life heroism, these all-American, inspirational personalities, deep, endearing romance, so much inspired, genuine patriotism, along with scenes featuring some inter-personal conflict!

""The Right Stuff"" also contained much superb editing, this excellent, sweeping cinematography (as it contained some real life footage!), these cutting edge, technologically inspired filming effects (such as those brilliantly shot moments in space!), along with much glorious, soaring adventure, & these edge-of-your-seat interludes that featured scenes of nerve-pricking suspence, including some very tense moments (like the John Glenn re-entry moment!)!

More-over, it had this spectacular, wonderful, glorious, euphoric inducing & mesmerizing soundtrack that defined & drove much of that magnificent movie, & which drove me to fever pitch! I loved it!!!

For to my mind ""The Right Stuff"" was the finest & most thrilling movie that came out back during the 80's!

My four favorite parts to that movie were 1.) when Chuck Yeager (who was brilliantly portrayed by Sam Shepard!) broke the sound barrier. For that scene was awesome, somewhat suspenseful (despite knowing the outcome!), & extremely exciting, as it induced many genuine thrills, including this mesmerizing sense of over-whelming patriotism!

2.) John Glenn's very historic, three orbit journey while aboard Friendship 7, including the initial take-off & the edge-of-your seat re-entry scene (brilliantly played by Ed Harris!)! For that entire, superbly acted scene was quite spectacular & nearly unmatched in the level of excitement that it produced, especially the majestic take-off scene, which I found quite absorbing & spellbinding!!! For no doubt that scene, featuring John Glenn being launched into orbit, was one of the most exhilarating & adrenaline inducing in all of movie history!

3.) The last scene, which featured Gordo Cooper, played by Dennis Quaid, being launched into space for the final Mercury Program space flight. For that scene was quite captivating & exciting as well!

For when-ever I watch that enthralling final scene I get filled with so much genuine pride, amazement, wonderment & euphoric inducing patriotism, especially with that gloriously uplifting, wonderful & inspirational music playing, helping to drive me to near fever pitch! For it was this unmatched exhilaration indeed!!!

For during that subsequent space flight Gordo Cooper broke all American records (22 complete orbits!!!) & finally caught up to the Russians in terms of space duration (34 hours & 20 minutes!), as he was "the last American to go into space alone!"

4.) the scene when Chuck Yeager reached the threshold of space, right before losing control of his plane & spiralling downward toward Earth. For that scene was one wild, & terrifying, ride!!!

Though the scene when Chuck Yeager (through Sam Shepard!) was walking away from the burning, smoking, fiery plane that just crashed in the California desert, & in which he bailed from, was quite possibly the most defining moment of that entire, defining movie, as it was both brilliantly filmed & acted.

For that particular, fiery scene truly captured how indomitable & irrepressible all those courageous & larger-than-life heroes/astronauts really were (along with how ferocious & cutting edge those pioneering spirits were!)! I mean that moment when Chuck Yeager was fiercely, defiantly & resolutely walking away from that smoking, burning plane was just Brilliant, just Brilliant!!!

I mean all those guys had cast iron balls, as they all volunteered to be launched into space while riding in these primitive capsules that were being powered by this altogether embryonic, very risky (as they were very dangerously prone to exploding upon take-off!) & largely untested rocked technology that provided no sure-fire guarantee (no pun intended!) of actually getting them into space & proving successful!

For, besides their Russian counterparts, those first American astronauts really had no precedent to work with or build upon, &, like I wrote above, there was no guarantee of them either making it into space & then returning in one piece (for even those capsules were indeed primitive & untested, almost as if they were these tin cans just waiting to explode upon re-entry!)! I mean how awesome & amazing is that?!?!

Also, ""The Right Stuff"" beautifully & fiercely captured all the emotion, inspiration, danger & fiery drama that drove & defined the lives & times of all those first American astronauts, vigorously inspired heroes all!

Any ways, that's my take on ""The Right Stuff,"" my favorite movie of the 80's, this American display of power & passion, brass balls & unsurpassed bravery, graceful beauty & technical jargon, & these awe-inspiring trials of great adversity all the way till ultimate triumph!

Please feel free to expand upon this subject, for this is one thread that I believe has great potential!
    Last edited by Taylor Ahern; 10 May 10, 05:05.

Star Wars = 1977
    therefore Aliens was the best movie of the 1980's

Comment

Full Metal Jacket

Comment

I love the Empire Strikes Back, but as part of Star Wars trilogy starting in the 70's cannot include it.

Aliens is great fun as is Die Hard, First Blood, Raging Bull, Blue Velvet, Blade Runner, Raiders, Terminator, Raising Arizona, Prizzi's Honour etc etc.

Thinking about it, not a bad decade for fun films .
        How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
        Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Wow, I'll have to keep my list to just a few as I have so many favorites from that decade. In no particular order:

1. Fletch
          2. Glory
          3. Die Hard
          4. Ghostbusters
          5. Breakfast Club
          "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."
          -- Harper's Weekly, December 31, 1864

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
            I love the Empire Strikes Back, but as part of Star Wars trilogy starting in the 70's cannot include it.
            I know the not, old man.

Comment

If I needed to grab 10 dvds from the 80s, these might well be the ones I grabbed - in no particular order except number 1 (the greatest comedy ever made of course)

1. Caddyshack (1980)
              2. Scarface (1983)
              3. Blues Brothers (1980)
              4. Stripes (1981)
              5. Empire Strikes Back (1980)
              6. The Terminator (1984)
              7. Once Upon A Time In America (1984)
              8. Major League (1989)
              9. Field of Dreams (1987)
              10. Hamburger Hill (1987)

Edit - I saw Nick's post saying Empire isn't available since it is part of a trilogy beginning in the 70s. I didn't realize that was a whammy.

I guess I would add either Midnight Run (1988) or Armed and Dangerous (1986) [so underrated its ridiculous] if I need a replacement
              Last edited by The Ibis; 10 May 10, 11:46.

Comment

@Ibis - I like your list and I can't belive I forgot Midnight Run! What an amazing movie..."you're gonna suffer from fistophobia if you don't shut up."
                "War is sorrowful, but there is one thing infinitely more horrible than the worst horrors of war, and that is the feeling that nothing is worth fighting for..."

Comment

My favorite from the 80's is "The Road Warrior". I remember seeing it about 7 times in the theater, and then I saved up lots of money and bought it on Betamax for I think around $60. The main reason I bought a DVD back in the 90's was so I could watch "The Road Warrior" on DVD with the surround sound.

Comment

I don't normally keep track of the year the film came out. And the 80s was after all half my life ago.

So I am just going to steal an already mentioned film, and go with Bladerunner.

I still enjoy watching it today, partly for the incredible music in it.

Lots of other fine choices in previous posts though.
                    Life is change. Built models for decades.
                    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                      @Ibis - I like your list and I can't belive I forgot Midnight Run! What an amazing movie..."you're gonna suffer from fistophobia if you don't shut up."
                      Thanks. Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?

Comment

Originally posted by The Ibis View Post
                        Thanks. Does Barry Manilow know that you raid his wardrobe?
                        "What are ya doing? You gotta make my bunk. See we're in Italy so the guy on the top bunk has to make the guy on the bottom's bunk. Now, if we were in Germany then I would have to make yours."

FYI - I like the movie quote game (kills a lot miles on the road when I'm recruiting).

Comment

Originally posted by Twitter3 View Post
                          "What are ya doing? You gotta make my bunk. See we're in Italy so the guy on the top bunk has to make the guy on the bottom's bunk. Now, if we were in Germany then I would have to make yours."

FYI - I like the movie quote game (kills a lot miles on the road when I'm recruiting).
                          In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Comment

Back to the Future.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post

Aliens is great fun as is Die Hard, First Blood, Raging Bull, Blue Velvet, Blade Runner, Raiders, Terminator, Raising Arizona, Prizzi's Honour etc etc.

Thinking about it, not a bad decade for fun films .
                              These are your idea of "fun" films?
                              Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X