The Pacific episode 9, Okinawa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacific episode 9, Okinawa

After fighting for over a month on the island of Okinawa the 1st Marines and Sledge are ordered to a new position. An Army division is to be replaced by the 1st Marines in the most heavily defended area of the island.

The conditions and the civilians around the fighting make for some moral dilemmas and puts severe physical and mental strain on Sledge and the Marines.

Cheers, the last episode with some action in it, maybe (and hopefully) the best.......??

Tom

I kind of lost interest when Basilone was killed.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Another powerful episode.Especially the scene with the woman with the baby that was rigged by the Japs with dynamite,followed by the Japanese charge through the civilians.In my opinion,this series has done an amazing job of depicting the incredible horror of war.
      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Number 9,is going too be screened in Austrlaia this wenesday night! tomorrow night)

The pacific is about the defence of Austrlaia (and the rescue of the Chinese) but there is not many Aussies on here suporting the Pacific or talking about it at least.

I kind of lost interest when Basilone was killed.
        The main actor should never be killed off unless its at the very end.

Comment

It was..like episode 7. Close reproduction of the individual horrors sledge witnesses in the book. With only one episode left, that's a wrap up.

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
            The main actor should never be killed off unless its at the very end.
            Well,I'm sure Sgt. Basilone would have loved to have accomodated both you and Mountain Man by surviving the war.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Of minor interest, the 1st Marine Division on Okinawa was commanded by MG Pedro Del Valle, a Puerto Rican officer who retired three years later as a Lieutenant General, the highest rank that the Marines had in those days. (But not the highest position, which was Commandant of the MC). Del Valle's father had been the head of the Spanish Red Cross in Puerto Rico at the time of the Spanish-American War.
              dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mi một lưỡi gươm, Những loi gi o ti cơm s g!

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                Well,I'm sure Sgt. Basilone would have loved to have accomodated both you and Mountain Man by surviving the war.
                Several Medal of Honor recipients did survive places like Iwo Jima, such as Ira Hayes. The series would have better served it's purpose to have followed one of them.

The death of Basilone merely highlighted the futility of leadership and courage in combat, which is a murderous game of chance in which skill plays no real part.

I was sorry to see the end of BoB; I am not sorry to see the end of Pacific, and that, I think, sums it all up. This is a series hat did not meet expectations.

Comment

I was sorry to see the end of BoB;
                  I am un happy too,too see no more BOB.
                  I am too a BOB fan,but I am trying my best to get into the Pacific,its just not my interest as much as the other one.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                    Several Medal of Honor recipients did survive places like Iwo Jima, such as Ira Hayes. The series would have better served it's purpose to have followed one of them.

The death of Basilone merely highlighted the futility of leadership and courage in combat, which is a murderous game of chance in which skill plays no real part.

I was sorry to see the end of BoB; I am not sorry to see the end of Pacific, and that, I think, sums it all up. This is a series hat did not meet expectations.
                    They already made a film that followed Ira Hayes. It was called Flags of Our Fathers.

And Hayes didn't win the Medal of Honor.

None of the six Iwo Jima Flag Raisers did.
                    "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I'm glad they chose a soldier who was killed in combat as one of the main characters.The hero doesn't always survive.It shifts some focus on those that didn't make it home.

I was also sorry to see BoB end.It's a brilliant series and could easily have been twice it's length.I feel the same way about The Pacific.I wasn't looking for The Pacific to simply be a BoB in the Pacific theater,I'm glad they changed things around a bit.The Pacific certainly addressed some of the darker aspects of war.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Captain General View Post
                        They already made a film that followed Ira Hayes. It was called Flags of Our Fathers.

And Hayes didn't win the Medal of Honor.

None of the six Iwo Jima Flag Raisers did.
                        You are correct. Where did I get that "memory" from?

Here is the problem I see with Pacific vs BoB:

In Bob we see a group of different individuals welded together by training and experience who come to rely upon each other to survive the horrors of combat. Their officers and NCO care about them, both personally and professionally.

In contrast, the image we are shown in Pacific is of a vast and indifferent Marine force made of individuals who do not band together, who fight each other as often as the enemy, and who are commanded by indifferent officers and NCO's whose primary function is to push them forward into overwhelming enemy fire and death.

Basilone becomes the epitome of the useless death of a fine Marine hero, used up as cannon fodder by the same indifferent Marine machine, in sharp contrast to the Easy Company First Sergeant who leads his men through hell and eventually finishes the war as an officer, his talent, bravery and leadership fully recognized.
                        Last edited by Mountain Man; 11 May 10, 18:39.

Comment

Originally posted by Gixxer86g View Post
                          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

You are correct. Where did I get that "memory" from?

Here is the problem I see with Pacific vs BoB:

In Bob we see a group of different indivduals welded together by training and experience who come to brlweiy upon each other to survive thwe horrors of combat. Their officers and NCO care about them, both perosnally and professionally.

In contrast, the image we are shown in Pacific is of a vast and indifferent Marine force made of individuals who do not band together, who fight each other as often as the enemy, and who are commanded by indifferent officers and NCO's whose primary function is to push them forward into overwhelming enemy fire and death.

Basilone becomes the epitome of the useless death of a fine Marine hero, used up as cannon fodder by the same indifferent Marine machine, in sharp contrast to the Easy Company First Sergeant who leads his men through hell and eventually finishes the war as an officer, his talent, bravery and leadership fully recognized.
                            I agree with you a little MM. However I don't make the mistake of comparing it to BoB. While I would like to see a single units dynamic as the focus for the series,I believe that the producers did a good job with what they did.
                            The way I see it,it was impossible to get a single unit and the entire Pacific Island hopping campaign in this series thus the reason for characters in multiple units.
                            If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I haven't seen any of these yet, but I will make the effort to after reading all of various post here.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X