Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Cliff - Finally a Chinese movie I can take seriously.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Red Cliff - Finally a Chinese movie I can take seriously.

    Most Chinese ancient civ movies are crap. Nothing but uninterrupted sequences of martial arts so ridiculous that all you can do is laugh at the movie. I was nervous Red Cliff would be the same. Thankfully it was not.

    If you enjoy the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history you'll enjoy this film. It covers Cao Cao's defeat at the Battle of the Red Cliffs. Although the tactical accuracy of the portrayal is a little off, it is still very entertaining. Although the story is a bit rushed - it would have done better as a three hour film so more depth could be given to the diplomatic and tactical musings of the commanders - the plotline is engaging and the film gives an excellent story of intrigue and diplomacy. And the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dumb nonsense is kept to a bare minimum.

    4 Stars.
    A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

  • #2
    Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
    Most Chinese ancient civ movies are crap. Nothing but uninterrupted sequences of martial arts so ridiculous that all you can do is laugh at the movie. I was nervous Red Cliff would be the same. Thankfully it was not.

    If you enjoy the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history you'll enjoy this film. It covers Cao Cao's defeat at the Battle of the Red Cliffs. Although the tactical accuracy of the portrayal is a little off, it is still very entertaining. Although the story is a bit rushed - it would have done better as a three hour film so more depth could be given to the diplomatic and tactical musings of the commanders - the plotline is engaging and the film gives an excellent story of intrigue and diplomacy. And the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dumb nonsense is kept to a bare minimum.

    4 Stars.
    While I understand your reasoning about the Chinese movies, I do not believe that comparison to movies such as Crouching Tiger is fair. At least not in the sense that I believe you are submitting. Crouching Tiger is a movie similar to some western movie adaptation of Hercules or some other Greek hero.
    Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

    Prayers.

    BoRG

    http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Salinator View Post
      While I understand your reasoning about the Chinese movies, I do not believe that comparison to movies such as Crouching Tiger is fair. At least not in the sense that I believe you are submitting. Crouching Tiger is a movie similar to some western movie adaptation of Hercules or some other Greek hero.
      I assure you in the interests of fairness that if I see a Greek hero movie where Ajax leaps over a wall and runs on water before leaping again into a forest, I will be just as critical.
      A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
        I assure you in the interests of fairness that if I see a Greek hero movie where Ajax leaps over a wall and runs on water before leaping again into a forest, I will be just as critical.
        Hey, superb martial arts training and a pair of Jesus Shoes can do wonders!
        Flag: USA / Location: West Coast

        Prayers.

        BoRG

        http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8757/snap1ws8.jpg

        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PtsX_Z3CMU

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
          Most Chinese ancient civ movies are crap. Nothing but uninterrupted sequences of martial arts so ridiculous that all you can do is laugh at the movie. I was nervous Red Cliff would be the same. Thankfully it was not.

          If you enjoy the Three Kingdoms period of Chinese history you'll enjoy this film. It covers Cao Cao's defeat at the Battle of the Red Cliffs. Although the tactical accuracy of the portrayal is a little off, it is still very entertaining. Although the story is a bit rushed - it would have done better as a three hour film so more depth could be given to the diplomatic and tactical musings of the commanders - the plotline is engaging and the film gives an excellent story of intrigue and diplomacy. And the Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dumb nonsense is kept to a bare minimum.

          4 Stars.
          Thanks for the rec! I needed something to fill my Netflix queue. I'm pretty sick and tired of martial arts/samurai stuff too, but this movie always looked interesting.

          Anybody hear anything about the second part of Mongol (another good Eastern film)? The first film (its supposed to be a trilogy) was pretty good.
          Burke's Joystick: Because Edmund Burke would have been a gamer.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Wargamer Scott View Post
            Thanks for the rec! I needed something to fill my Netflix queue. I'm pretty sick and tired of martial arts/samurai stuff too, but this movie always looked interesting.

            Anybody hear anything about the second part of Mongol (another good Eastern film)? The first film (its supposed to be a trilogy) was pretty good.
            Looks like Netflix has the international extended version. I may check that one out too. I felt the movie was kind of rushed, maybe this version will be well fleshed out.
            A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by pirateship1982 View Post
              Looks like Netflix has the international extended version. I may check that one out too. I felt the movie was kind of rushed, maybe this version will be well fleshed out.
              I am lucky enough(????) to live outside Detroit. The Detroit Institute of Arts was the only US theater to play the international version. One Sunday cold February day, I went and watched both parts back to back. I have no idea how anyone could have watched the US version and have it make sense.

              I would recommend watching it on a nice long rainy day and turning off your phone to prevent distractions.

              Awesome

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Weaves View Post
                I am lucky enough(????) to live outside Detroit. The Detroit Institute of Arts was the only US theater to play the international version. One Sunday cold February day, I went and watched both parts back to back. I have no idea how anyone could have watched the US version and have it make sense.

                I would recommend watching it on a nice long rainy day and turning off your phone to prevent distractions.

                Awesome
                Sounds like a plan. No shortage of rainy days in the Merry Olde Missouri springtime!
                A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

                Comment

                Latest Topics

                Collapse

                Working...
                X