The Pacific episode 7, Peleliu Hills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacific episode 7, Peleliu Hills

Sledgehammer and the Marines continue to fight it out on the island of Peleliu, but in the dreaded hills now. Japanese resistance is fanatical and both sides engage in barbaric acts.

Sledge loses a trusted commander and his moral compass, and after winning the battle of Peleliu, the Marines head back to the Island "paradise" of Pavuvu changed men, and then some!!

Cheers, the previews lead me to beleave this may be the best episode yet!!

Tom

Great episode last night. The death of Sledgehammer's Skipper was quite emotional. You could feel how hard the Marines took it. The look in Sledge's eyes said it all.

Comment

Cant beate the original seriers,i have not yet watched one eposdoe of the Pacific.
      I have no interests in Australia and Japanese ww2 warfare,BORING! SORRY!
      PS--i was going too start my own threade but there ist too many Pacific threads and it ist a waste of space IMHO.

Comment

Best episode yet.
        "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

Originally posted by Heidi View Post
          Cant beate the original seriers,i have not yet watched one eposdoe of the Pacific.
          I have no interests in Australia and Japanese ww2 warfare,BORING! SORRY!
          PS--i was going too start my own threade but there ist too many Pacific threads and it ist a waste of space IMHO.
          By original series do you mean Band of Brothers?The Pacific isn't simply a Pacific version of BoB.You should watch it before you criticize.And judge it on it's own merits.

Episode seven was excellent.Lot's of heavy stuff.The death of the Captain,the Gunny losing it,Sledge almost going psycho on the dead Jap,the guys tossing stones into the wide open skull of the other dead Jap.
          ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

By original series do you mean Band of Brothers?The Pacific isn't simply a Pacific version of BoB.You should watch it before you criticize.And judge it on it's own merits.
            Episode seven was excellent.Lot's of heavy stuff.The death of the Captain,the Gunny losing it,Sledge almost going psycho on the dead Jap,the guys tossing stones into the wide open skull of the other dead Jap.
            By original series do you mean Band of Brothers? yeah the first Band of Brothers.

howe did you knowe this excits me? i do like war action and killings and dead soilders,it soundes more exciting thane it did before. maybe i will watch juste one and see howe it pans out.

cheers.
            Last edited by Heidi; 26 Apr 10, 21:02.

Comment

A good episode which could have been drastically improved with a longer running time. I liked how they implemented that montage in the beginning. The scene where Puller and his 1st Marines came back from the Hills as they were being replaced by the 5th Marines was also powerful stuff. The scene at the end where Sledge looks at the Red Cross girl in disbelief together with the look of 'WTF are you doing here?' is also some powerful s h i t.

Comment

Sorry people, a little late here.....

Lots going on in this episode as suspected!!

It opens up with Sledge writing in his Bible diary, seeminmg to mark off the days and nights spent on the Island of Peleliu along with some flashbacks of his latest combat.

Sledge and his platoon are seen marching back to the airfield they just took 3 days ago. Then some chat with his friendly officer about their background on their families. Only to be interupted by a civy (Sea Bee construction worker??) looking for Japanese war trophies from the Marines. Who is given the cold shoulder and a few harsh words, and rightly so!!

Next Sledge and the Marines head up to the hills to the fight and pass Marines that have already had their turn and are coming down from those hills not looking "to good", but with thm luck anyways in the fight to come.

We then head back to the states and see Basilone, who is at another rally in honor of him and he does not look to happy!!
                Then is is at a driving range hitting golf balls all day and through part of the night. While having flashbacks of his time in combat in the war.....

Its night and Sledge is in his foxhole, another Marine hears something then a couple shadows around another Marine forward position. The Marine fires a couple shots...

The next morning Gunny is standing over a dead Marine, "don't ever get out of your foxholes at night, this is what happens".

Seeing and hearing about a Japanese soldier is also mentioned trying to get into the Marine position, but I'm not to sure what happened myself just yet.

The platoon is marching down a dirt road the next day when out of the blue it is ambushed. They run to the side of the road where there is an enemy empty bunker for cover.
                An officer next to Sledge is about to order them through and over the bunker when Sledge hears something, and tells the officer that the bunker has been reoccupied (after being cleared out before by other Marines) by the Japanese. He does not beleave Sledge until he fires some rounds into the bunker and the Japanese open up with return fire!!
                Grenades are used to flush them out, but one of Sledges friends is woulded in the face by a Japanese grenade.

A Marine runs for help while the rest of them try to keep the Japanese pinned down. The Marine comes back with a Sherman and Sledge just barely drags the wounded Marine away before the Sherman fires at the bunker.

Enemy soldiers pile out of the bunker and are shot down, then a Japanese officer comes out and tries to fire his rifle at Sledge, but it jams. He then draws his sword and charges at Sledge and the wounded Marine. Sledge just gets his rifle untangled and shoots him at point blank range and the officer falls in Sledges lap!!
                A Marine flamethrower is then used on the bunker, to good effect.

After the battle Sledge seems to be playing with an enemy knife (I think contemplating getting some gold teeth as well!!) when he sees a Marine (not SNAFU either!!) going for "the gold" on a Japanese soldier who ends up still being alive. The Marine then tries to strangle the Japanese soldier while trying to get his mouth open when Sledge yells out, "Just put him out of his misery" to the fellow Marine. The Marine continues on until SNAFU comes up and shoots the enemy soldier in the head with his 45, "makes it easier" he then comments. Sledge then throws the Japanese knife down.....

Sledge is then shown to be volunteered as a stretcher bearer in the fight up the hill. While carrying down a wounded Marine their cargo is shot again on on the stretcher and dies!!

Gunny is seen coming back down the hill and has lost it, gets pulled off the line!!!

That night Sledge and another Marine talk about the old breed not being able to take this, if they can't handle this how can we??

The next day a Marine goes to take a dump just at the entrance of a cave, and gets attacked by some Japanese soldier who charge out of it while the Marines pants are down.
                The Marine runs back through the platoon holding his pants up after shooting one of the Japanese, but another one is still chasing him. His fellow Marines finally shoot the guy after they have a clear field of fire. The Marines along with Sledge laugh their asses off and break some of the tension that day.

The marines continue to climb up the hill through the carnage of war, burnt and broken Japanese soldiers and later covered up dead Marines litter the hillside.

The officer (Sledges new friend he respects and admires) Ack Ack is then killed by a sniper (though not shown) and his body is carried away.

Sledge and SNAFU rest next to a blown apart Japanese wood and corral MG bunker. While Sledge is contemplating a dead Japanese soldiers teeth next to him, SNAFU is on a rock outcropping. And is shown throwing rocks inside of the dead Japanese soldiers in the blown bunker, with the top of his head blown off.

A very wild scene here indeed!!!

Sledge decides on something in his mind and grabs his knife and moves to the enemy soldier with the teeth he was looking at before, while viewing SNAFU's "rock game"....... While Sledge is about to finally get some gold teeth, SNAFU stops him with the threat of "bad germs" he could get from those teeth. Sledge finally relents but takes the Japanese soldiers insignia from the uniform.

Sledge and his Platoon are then shown walking back down the hill, the expressions on each Marines face is just perfect, changed men indeed!!

Back on the transport ship Gunny is next to Sledge and gives him his own 1st Marines lighter!!

After just unloading back at Pavuvu Sledge and SNAFU are shocked to see some nurses there offering orange juice to the returning shell shocked Marines, "What the hell are they doing here" Sledge comments. But a fresh new officer standing next to the nurses tells them to move on after "getting thier look at the women" Totally misunderstanding what is really going on in the Marines mind.

Sledge is lastly shown on a beach thinking, then takes his cloths off to join his platoon for a swin in the Pacific.

Cheers, a very good episode, but for me it did seem a little strange about when the combat scenes were out into the time line, something just seemed a little off (and the short time again in the episode, SIGH......), but thats just me!!

Tom
                Last edited by TRDG; 27 Apr 10, 00:33.

Comment

Heidi

Some people here get into this and others just don't, I like BoB better myself but would not be to happy to have nothing at all like The Pacific series (to say the least!!).

There is a thread on each episode and I think rightly so, even though the posts and interest is somewhat lacking I think, as this is the ACG site and all. LOL Now if it was from a German or Russian perspective that would be quite different in my humble opinion). But I think it will pick up once everyone has a chance to see and buy the series in a few months from now, or at least I hope so.

Cheers, so what are your specific complaints against this series so far and how many episodes have you actually watched?

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by Kittikhun View Post
                    A good episode which could have been drastically improved with a longer running time.
                    It think all seven of the episodes so far could easily have been stretched out to two hours or longer with out being boring.
                    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

There is a thread on each episode and I think rightly so
                      oh yes,i juste did not want too start another one when youreself juste started one up.

LOL Now if it was from a German or Russian perspective that would be quite different in my humble opinion).
                      I dont hate the Pacific seriers cause it was made by Americans withe American point of view,far frome it.
                      I do like shows withe American directors you knowe.

Cheers, so what are your specific complaints against this series so far
                      Its not set in Europe.

and how many episodes have you actually watched?
                      i have seene like 5 mins by accident laste saturday night when one episode was airing,i watched and it was about an American soilder trying to court an Australia women,maybe i shoulde gave the showe a chance.

Comment

Band of Brothers is GREAT and I never thought it was possible BUT I think 'The Pacific' is even better. What a tremendous series, so far. WOW!!

Comment

Ya, then I think you need to watch a lot more Heidi

It does tend to grow on you after a while, BoB is still better, but I like the combat and armour shown myself in BoB.

Cheers, episodes 1, 2 and 3 are just warm ups, 4 starts "getting into it" then on 5, 6 and 7 the combat and emotions are all in!!

Tom

Comment

im not bagging the Pacific,i perferr European war but I perferr to watche the Pacific thane non ww2 movies.
                            dont be depress,Steelpot loves the Pacific more so thane the original BOB,it coms down to personale tatsed.
                            I knowe this satday the Pacific will be on,I will watched this episode and give it a go.

Comment

I'm liking the series a good deal. Very different from Band of Brothers in that there are three main characters from three different units involved. The books by Leckie and Sledge are excellent and anyone with an interest in the Pacific War or just war in general should read them. I think the Pacific War was just a different beast entirely. The Germans were pretty hardcore, but the Japanese took it to a different level. I'm glad the Pacific veterans are now getting their due, although I would have loved to see more on the US Navy in the series, being an old salt myself.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X