Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Yer Top 5 Fav War Movies (regardless of cheese)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Artisanal Cheese:
    Saving Private Ryan
    Platoon
    Das Boot
    Letters from Iwo Jima
    Hurt Locker

Gouda movies:
    The Great Escape (no one mentioned this yet? Must stop and watch whenever its on AMC)
    The Bridge Over the River Kwai (again no love?)
    Hunt for Red October (not really a war movie but a political thriller?)
    Braveheart (before Mel went crazy)
    Full Metal Jacket (real squad tactics and Gunny!)
    and... Kelly's Heroes! ("That's my other dog impression!")

Rotten stinky french cheese:
    Pearl Harbor (Bruckheimer/Bay at their schtickiest)
    Windtalkers (Woo doesn't work in the pacific)
    Midway ("Let go of me you damn dirty Jap!")
    Battle of the Bulge (Germany was defeated by the brave oil drums. Due to lack of political correctedness, they weren't awarded until 1983 by which time many were rusted and too old to stand upright)

Comment

I'm guilty of being a huge fan of Thin Red Line.
      AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
      The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

For sure, have many favorites and list mania is understandably a fun past time and the Thin Red Line is certainly one of my many favorites.
        I often think how much easier the world would have been to manage if Herr Hitler and Signor Mussolini had been at Oxford. Lord Halifax

Comment

The (non)standard

ENEMIES AT THE GATES

MIDWAY

DR. STRANGELOVE OR HOW I LEARNED TO RELAX AND LOVE THE BOMB

BLACK HAWK DOWN

SAVING PRIVATE RYAN

cheers

Comment

The Red Badge of Courage (1951)

Attack (1956)

Hell is for Heroes (1962)

Cross of Iron (1977)

WarKill (1968) Someday this one will be a DvD. Maybe with enough votes!
            http://www.tcm.com/tcmdb/title.jsp?stid=95102

As World War II nears its end, American correspondent Phil Sutton arrives in the Philippines to get first-hand information on U. S. Col. John Hannegan. Sutton has written several paperback books extolling Hannegan's heroic leadership of a small band of Filipino guerrillas who are routing the remnants of Japanese troops. Sutton quickly realizes, however, that his idol is a ruthless killer who never takes prisoners, preferring to flush out the enemy and then shoot them. Sutton's revulsion at Hannegan's methods is somewhat mollified when they come across a native village where the inhabitants have been slaughtered by a fanatical Japanese officer intent upon destroying the local hospital. When the hospital's medical officer and personnel refuse to vacate their post, Hannegan reluctantly leaves some of his men behind while he takes to the hills to harass the enemy until reinforcements arrive. Sutton offers to join Hannegan and is granted permission. After delaying the attack on the hospital by hit-and-run tactics, Sutton and Hannegan return in time to help repulse the onslaught, but Hannegan is killed just before the reinforcements arrive. In spite of Hannegan's questionable methods, Sutton realizes that he will be remembered as a hero and decides to keep secret what he has learned.
            Only Tearful, Animal Man Through the Nature of his Being is Destined to a Life of Warfare...
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTs6a0ORdQU
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sam4l...layer_embedded

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
              Klaudia Tanner
              by casanova
              During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
              Yesterday, 23:56
            • Karri
              Doom Patrol
              by Karri
              Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
              Yesterday, 23:55
            • Nikki
              Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
              by Nikki
              Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
              Yesterday, 23:03
            Working...
            X