Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacific episode 6 and a poll

Peleliu Airfield

The Marines battle the heat and lack of drinking water (except some oil tainted water) as they prepare to fight for the airfield. Leckie and Sledge join the attack to capture the vital and heavily defended airfield with the rest of the Marines.

Leckie is wounded hinself then evacuated after seeing many of his friends wounded and killed in this hellish fight!!

Sledge learns some lessons about war in the Pacific, and about surviving it to fight another day!!

Cheers, the poll should be fairly obvious to most I should think.

Tom
    Better than I expected!!
    9.09%
    About what I expected.
    9.09%
    Sad to say but I think it is less than what it would/could have been...
    22.73%
    Better than Band of Brothers first 5 episodes!!!!
    0.00%
    About the same as BoBs first 5 episodes.
    0.00%
    I like BoB's first 5 episodes better!!
    4.55%
    The Pacific should not be judged/compared to BoB!!
    22.73%
    I think it is fair to compare the two WW II series on some points!
    0.00%
    I will buy The Pacific when it comes out.
    22.73%
    Hav'nt seen it yet but I plan to when I can.
    9.09%
    No interest in this series......
    0.00%
    Last edited by TRDG; 18 Apr 10, 11:28.

The Pacific should not be compared to Band of Brothers.So far,I'm really enjoying the series.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

I'm really enjoying the series and I can't wait for the dvd. It will go nicely with my BoB set.
      If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

Thanks for the couple votes so far

So episode 6 just got done, not to bad, a bit less than what I expected but the 2nd best episode for me after 5.
        I do suspect though that it will play out a lot better if you watch episode 5 then 6 back to back, just like most of the others....

Here we go

Philips visits Sledges family back in the states, they are not to worry about their son. He is with the best unit, and a mortar man is not at the tip of the spear, so to speak, just behind it......

Sledge and Leckie gear up for the airfield attack, Sledge is starting his journal with notes on how hot it is, 105 to 115 degrees.
        Leckie is commenting on the lack of water, and a fellow Marine (OOPS, I just watched it again and it IS Lucky searching the dead Marine for water!) searchs some dead comrades for any splash of water in their canteens, he finds none.

Sledge gets a drink of water as well as the rest of the platoon from a fellow Marine who has just a bit left in his canteen. That Marine gets "promoted" to carry the mortars aiming devise as a reward from the Platoons Marine officer.

Sledge is very nervous just before the attack and his friendly "Japanese dentist" fellow Marine gives him a smoke, and as you remember Sledge would not smoke before when offered.

The attack is intense with lots of Japanese mortar and arty fire, I'll have to rewatch it again for a better take on it. Lots of body parts flying around, wounds/deaths in the Platoons of Sledge but Leckies is hit very hard.
        His Platoons radio does not work so they can call an arty or airplane strike on an enemy heavy gun bunker that is chopping them up. The medic for his friend who has just been hit!!!

Leckie is sent to the rear to get a radio and a medic ASAP, the Marines are counting on him to get back as soon as possible. Lucky heads back into the open airfield he just crossed, again with a lot of Japanese mortar fire and Marines getting blown apart.. He gets to the other side but can't find both a medic and a radio at the same place and time. He continues searching and a big enemy shell (or allied airstrike?) blows him off his feet and he is wounded!

Sledge helps his "Japanese dentist" back to his feet after being blown down, then Oswald who was given the mortar sight (for sharing his water) is killed.

Sledge and his mortar team lay down some great shots on the enemy that is held up in the ruins (and a Naval airstrike on that heavy bunker of Leckie's) of the airfield and it is taken!!!

A Marine vehicle won't take any of Sledges platoon wounded until an officer stops it with his 45 in hand and "orders" them to do so....... And they do just that!!

Leckie is on a hospital ship.

That night Sledge and his platoon hold up in a captured airfield building, and Sledge is "caught" reading nd writng his journal by "the dentist".

Another Marine is counting invisable Japanese and is taken off the line.
        An officer tries to explain to Sledge that he tries to think it is worth it, all the casualties for "the cause".

The next day Sledge and the Platoon recon the hill they are ordered to take, they come under heavy fire and retreat, trying to get their orders changed. They radio they can't take the objecitve without to many casualties.....

Its night again and Sledge is camped out fearing a night attack from the Japanese. Good old Gunney talks to the now named"Sledgehammer" about having dogs to "smell the japs" but does'nt quite beleave it, and leaves them with a "WOOF", now that was funny!!!

Now the most disturbing scene, a Marine is having a waking nightmare? and may just give up the Marines position to the Japanese. The Marines can't calm down or shut up the Marine and is then hit on the head by one of the Marines to "shut him up.
        The next day we learn he is killed by the hit to the head. Sledge said it was what had to be done and some Marines agree, "better him than the whole platoon" Sledge comments.

For me was it the intent to kill this Marine when he was hit, or just to knock him out to keep quiet, just hit to hard??

Sledge and his platoon move back towards the hill (the orders did not get changed even though they tried to) and gets his "Sledgehammer" name while others get theirs.

After watching it again I think their orders DID get changed as they are going to a road with a tank platoon looking for the Japanese from what the officer last said though, my bad!!!

Now this had me a bit confused as was it because of his great mortar shooting from the airfield battle I think, or something else??

Leckie on the hospital ship meets one of his marine friends he left wounded back at the airfield. Then watchs with him while the ship sails away and the Island is covered in smoke and shells from the tough ongoing fight. A very nice shot.

Cheers, lets hope as usual that more comments (and votes) pop up from you guys in the episode 6 thread here. I'm still more than a bit surprised at the lack of comments, and on the ACG site no less....

I'll rate this as a 9.3 as it just did'nt hit me as much (but very close!!) as episode 5, and I wished it was'nt as short, as usual!!

Tom
        Last edited by TRDG; 19 Apr 10, 04:44.

Comment

The dash across the airfield was intense,the producers did a great job with that scene. I'll give the episode a 9.5.
          If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

I agree,the airfield scene was quite intense.It was a seriously emotional scene.
            ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

5 was good 6 was good and it is plain it isn't over till 7.

Personally I think this is the equal of BoB, but the series is like comparing cars and trucks. There is no gain to the attempt.

The series has had moments I would have excluded. But over all this series has been fairly good.

It's on my buy list. Hey what more can a person say eh. Good enough to buy means good enough to watch.
              Life is change. Built models for decades.
              Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
              I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

A big disappointment. While it isn't fair to compare it to BoB in the minds of some, it is fair to compare it to actual history, which is poorly represented.

Personally, I think it is quite fair to compare it to BoB, since the same producers came up with the show.

The battles give the distinct impression that mostly Japanese troops die, and by-pass the horrors and sacrifices of the troops who took the islands in the bloodiest campaigns of WWII.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I dunno Mountain Man, looked like a lot of marines died in ep05 and 06. And the battle isn't over either.

Regarding the history, I've read books that clearly were factually challenged. I've watched documentaries that have a lot of years on them now, and a lot of it could never be done today for all the brutally accurate racism of the time.

I think the show is doing a better job than most of the crud that passes for film or documentary these days though.

In order to get the casualties portrayed MORE accurately, they'd need to film the impossible, as you can't realistically film every minute and include every fatality. We all KNOW a lot of marines were killed on Peleliu.

I'm ok with the series as it is plain, they have direct input from men that were there. If it is ok with those men, it's sure as hell ok with me
                  Life is change. Built models for decades.
                  Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                  I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

"The battles give the distinct impression that mostly Japanese troops die, and by-pass the horrors and sacrifices of the troops who took the islands in the bloodiest campaigns of WWII."

That's because in the earlier island battles like Guadacanal, it was mostly Japanese troops dying. Early in the Pacific theater, the Japanese employed banzai charges - human wave charges at enemy positions. It might have worked against poorly trained Chinese troops with bolt action rifles, but were suicide against Marines and semi-automatic rifles and machine guns. This led to ridiculously lop-sided casualty counts, for example at Alligator Creek (which I believe was featured in Episode 1), the Japanese had about 800 KIA versus ~50 KIA Marines.

In Sledge's book "With the Old Breed", one of his Guadacanal veteran buddies predicts that Peliliu will be a breeze, saying (and I'm paraphrasing) that "They'll just banzai charge and we'll tear their ass up." However by Peliliu and in all subsequent island battles, the Japanese had completely changed their strategy from one of suicidal frontal counter-attacks to one of using heavily fortified positions and killing as many Americans as possible for as long as possible. It's this change of tactics that led to American casualties skyrocketing. In fact, Sledge mentions that his company suffered a 60% casualty rate at Peliliu and a greater than 100% casualty rate at Okinawa.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                      I dunno Mountain Man, looked like a lot of marines died in ep05 and 06. And the battle isn't over either.

Regarding the history, I've read books that clearly were factually challenged. I've watched documentaries that have a lot of years on them now, and a lot of it could never be done today for all the brutally accurate racism of the time.

I think the show is doing a better job than most of the crud that passes for film or documentary these days though.

In order to get the casualties portrayed MORE accurately, they'd need to film the impossible, as you can't realistically film every minute and include every fatality. We all KNOW a lot of marines were killed on Peleliu.

I'm ok with the series as it is plain, they have direct input from men that were there. If it is ok with those men, it's sure as hell ok with me
                      Just my opinion. Les, based on previous work by Spielberg. It just isn't gelling for me. The best battle so far was clearly kept to a very limited scope and did not remotely compare with Omaha Beach in Saving Private Ryan, which remains the Gold Standard for such re-created events.

Maybe the series focuses too much on the quirks and sex lives of the Marines, rather than on the actual war.

Comment

"Maybe the series focuses too much on the quirks and sex lives of the Marines, rather than on the actual war."

Yeah, that's because its from the perspective of three enlisted men. In their minds, quirks, sex, and death of their friends WAS the actual war... now cue Tom Hanks with giving a nice overview of the Pacific War that most schlubs at home had no idea of what happened.

Comment

Well, gee...and here I thought the Marines were fighting a real war. Were the paratroopers in BoB gay, then? BTW, most of them were enlisted, too - right?

Comment

Your missing my point or I'm missing yours. In The Pacific, the perspective is always on Leckie, Basilone, or Sledge (with a sidestep to Phillips getting lucky). In BoB, once a characters is wounded or leaves, poof, they go and they cut back to the main concentration about Easy company. Guarnere and Toye get wounded, they disappear from the series because that's the way it was on the book. Leckie gets wounded, you see him go all the way back home, they don't cut back to Chuckler who's still on Peleliu, because he wrote the book that way.

What actual war are you referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Dunnigan View Post
                              Your missing my point or I'm missing yours. In The Pacific, the perspective is always on Leckie, Basilone, or Sledge (with a sidestep to Phillips getting lucky). In BoB, once a characters is wounded or leaves, poof, they go and they cut back to the main concentration about Easy company. Guarnere and Toye get wounded, they disappear from the series because that's the way it was on the book. Leckie gets wounded, you see him go all the way back home, they don't cut back to Chuckler who's still on Peleliu, because he wrote the book that way.

What actual war are you referring to?
                              Basilone won a Medal of Honor, but the action wasn't on that level.

I agree that following three characters is a different format, instead of following a whole company of them - well, really only a platoon - but the war in the Pacific was ferocious, savage and costly. some of that was captured in the Episode 6 bloody charge across the airfield, but generally it seems surreal most of the time compared to the actual history that took place.

These men were forged in the fiery crucible of battle, not the gin mills and brothels and bedrooms of the world.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X