Cross of Iron w/ James Coburn.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross of Iron w/ James Coburn.

Any fans of this movie here? I am and I just secured a great movie still of him at the end of the movie where the German ""PWs"" were going through Russian lines. CLP Krueger is behind and left of Steiner and their German comrade is more behind Steiner.

Anyway, im going to see if I can get someone to post that image here for me sometime soon/
    Hail Caesar, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You.

Loved the film myself.

It was easy to get the tanks right I suppose Yugo Armour being simpler than Panzers I guess.

Liked the gritty battle scenes.

My one claim to amusement, I have set of models soldiers from Dragon of the cast.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Yep

That is a good movie as well, wish they made more Eastern front ones these days, from whoevers point of view!!

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Yes, that was a good movie.

Another one I'd recommend is the movie adaptation of Sven Hassel's "Wheels of Terror".
        "We have no white flag."

Comment

Cross of Iron - a classic, and a classic Coburn line at the end. "Follow me, and I'll take you to the garden where the Iron Crosses grow."
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
            Cross of Iron - a classic, and a classic Coburn line at the end. "Follow me, and I'll take you to the garden where the Iron Crosses grow."
            MM, you should also read the book that Cross of Iron was based upon:
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Willing_Flesh

The author, Willi Heinrich, was a German veteran of the Eastern Front, and his book remains one of the better novels of the war, partly based upon his own experiences with the main character, Steiner, modeled after the Knight's Cross recipient Johann Schwerdfeger.
            http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Schwerdfeger

Comment

Having read the book before I saw the movie, I was terribly disappointed. It really sucked. But that's the screenwriter's fault, not James Coburn's.
              dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

I saw the movie when I was a kid and thought it was great. I didn't even know there was a book! Now I will have to read it and watch the movie again as an adult.

Comment

Thanks for the comments Gents.

As for the book, I read it about 12 years ago and didnt care much for it. I dont know why I didnt like it? perhapse because of seeing the movie first? that or because i have read much better books about the Eastern Front at that time and till now.

Comment

Originally posted by Alatriste View Post
                    I saw the movie when I was a kid and thought it was great. I didn't even know there was a book! Now I will have to read it and watch the movie again as an adult.
                    ditto

Comment

Originally posted by skoblin View Post
                      MM, you should also read the book that Cross of Iron was based upon:

The author, Willi Heinrich, was a German veteran of the Eastern Front, and his book remains one of the better novels of the war, partly based upon his own experiences with the main character, Steiner, modeled after the Knight's Cross recipient Johann Schwerdfeger.
                      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johann_Schwerdfeger
                      I did.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

now thats a bit of info I never knew-that Steiner was modelled after an RKT. Very interestinig and is something to do more research on when time permits?

Comment

That's two books now to add to my list just from this one thread. Great info guys

Comment

I read the book and saw the movie and thought both of them well done. But the movie doesn't really follow the book all that much. Really, the only thing they share is a title. If you can keep them seperate, both are worthing searching out.

That being said, when I first saw the movie, I thought Coburn was a horrible choice for Steiner. But when I watched it again and then a 3rd time, he grew on me. It's actually turned out to be one of his better roles.

The opening credits:

Youtube seems to have the whole movie.
                            Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.

Comment

Originally posted by c.evans View Post
                              now thats a bit of info I never knew-that Steiner was modelled after an RKT. Very interestinig and is something to do more research on when time permits?
                              there you go carl...

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...DtIYeFOPWBudEM

Last edited by sniper1946; 16 Apr 10, 03:49.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X