The Pacific episode 4, Glousester/Pavuvu/Banika

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacific episode 4, Glousester/Pavuvu/Banika

Sledge comes back to the series as a Marine in training at camp Elliott.

The 1st Marine Div goes to Cape Gloster and lands on the Japanese occupied Island of New Britain. There Leckie battles the jungle more than the enemy it seems.

Leckie then goes to the Island of Pavuvu where the "price of war" for the men who fought it shows physically and mentally for good old "lucky".

Leckie is then sent to the naval hospital on the island of Banika for "observation"........

Cheers, things will be heating up from now on, can't wait to see how it goes!!

Tom
    Last edited by TRDG; 04 Apr 10, 02:48.

Here we go

We see Sledge training on a the mortar at school, a short round "kills" his dummy Marines next to the dummy Japanese who had "interesting" signs on them.

That is the end of Sledge in this episode, I wanted a lot more than this, but I guess not....

Lucky is on a ship writing to Vera again, then goes on a patrol in New Britain. Lt Lorken (same one Leckie pulled a gun on??) is still screwing with him it seems. First he is put on point by Lorken then as a rear guard. But lucky finds a Japanese patrol at their rear and ambushs all for of them dead all by himself!!

Then a night attack where he is tlod to torch the HQ tent if the enemy gets through the lines. But the Japanese are mowed down by the usual Marine fire like before.

The next day they check out the Japanese camp where some "things happen" One wounded/sick? enemy soldier is stabbed, then another Marine simply strangles another Japanese wounded/sick?? soldier, then smiles at Lucky and another Marine after he is done with it, OUCH!!
    Lucky also finds a Japanese pistol and chest that he keeps, but once again the LT steals it for "company papers" or so he said.

Leckie then is put on KP duty by Larken after "his" new chest and gun are stolen from the LT (LOL, good job lucky!!) Then sees a Marine kill himself in the rain while on KP near him.

But Leckie is wetting his pants and can't get out of his bunk later and is sent to the naval hospital by the company doc after the Company men show concern for their bud Leckie.

He arrives at the hospital in a mental ward as they are full up at the regular hospital or so it is told tho Lucky. After he wets his bed his shrink doctor beleaves that Leck is not faking it trying to get out of the fighting and just needs to talk, get some sleep and some goof food in him.

Lucky soon realizes that he does not really belong here compared to the cases he sees here. And even tries to bribe his doctor with the Japanese gun to get himback to his unit, the doc does not take the gun but lets Leckie go back to his unit.

All in all not a bad episode, but I think Sledge needed more air time with his training at least. Leckie is really growing on me as the main guy, but soon I know Sledge will get us all more involved with him, while Leckie may fade away a bit more (just like Basilone for this episode?).

Cheers, once again when you watch these episodes back to back you don't get as disconected to each charactor betwwen the shows.

Your thoughts guys?

Tom

Comment

episode four..

A good overview of how things were different for everyone. The behind the lines is seen in this episode. The fact that Leckie is sent back to the hospital serves to let us know that this type of thing happened a lot in those days. Combat stress affected men in a lot of different ways. Also we see that even back then there were pompous assho*es who were full of themselves. Being wet and tired, malnourished and under stress, dealing with the 'green death' of the jungle and last but not least the enemy took its toll. Malaria, Dengue, jungle rot and Enuresis affected a lot of guys back then and the remedies were no better then than they were in WW1. The fact that PTSD had not evolved into a recognizable condition at that time is very obvious in the different ways that the men were treated. In the end, though, Leckie comes to grips with what he is and goes back to his platoon.

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
      IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I don't seem to encounter much of the Cape action in docus. Man they did a nice job of making it look like green hell.

The ep was 'rough' in more ways than one.
        Life is change. Built models for decades.
        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Yep

Pretty scary what the medical situation really was like back then compard to no, but no surprise there. I'd be very curious to know how many soldiers "lost it" in the pacific compared to the Western from if anyone has any info on that perhaps.

Some very tough jungle there, funny that there always seems to be a trail or clearing though, no just "hacking through the jungle" as so many other older shows portray it as.

Watched it again and I still can't help feeling that if they had an extra 10-15 minutes added in to the various key scenes we would all get into it a bit more with each charactor, yes like BoB, training or no training!!! LOL

Cheers

Tom

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
            Pretty scary what the medical situation really was like back then compard to no, but no surprise there. I'd be very curious to know how many soldiers "lost it" in the pacific compared to the Western from if anyone has any info on that perhaps.

Some very tough jungle there, funny that there always seems to be a trail or clearing though, no just "hacking through the jungle" as so many other older shows portray it as.

Watched it again and I still can't help feeling that if they had an extra 10-15 minutes added in to the various key scenes we would all get into it a bit more with each charactor, yes like BoB, training or no training!!! LOL

Cheers

Tom
            I've thought the exact same thing. I have no connection with these charecters like I did in BoB. In BoB by the time the 2nd or 3rd episode rolled around I was bought into Malarkey , Lipton , Doc Roe , etc.

Comment

For me

I almost get "the connection" (like in BoB) but then as I said before it goes into something else or the shortened times of the episode runs out.

Cheers, thnaks for the post!

Tom

Comment

Total unrealistic. Leckie, a Marine, tells a full colonel to F himself? A marine is locked up on suicide watch, but gets cigarettes and matches, and Leckie wanders in and out of a closed ward like he owns the place?

This series just flounders further and further from reality. We are talking the 1940's here, when the rules were a whole lot stricter.
                Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Question: When Leckie witnesses the suicide is that the French exchange coomando because it sounded to me like he was speaking French before he shot himself?
                  "The first time those bastards encounter US Marines, I want it to be the most traumatic experience of their miserable lives."
                  -Gen. James Mattis, USMC

Psalms 144.1

Comment

From what I heard

Leveque was a former officer from the FFL who was leading a band of Guerillas at the time. Then he joined Lucky's unit to act as a scout for them.

Cheers

Tom

Comment

In the episode one of Leckies buddies says the guy who killed himself was a French Canadian who served in the Commandos at Dieppe.

Probably some sort of officer exchange program with the USMC.
                      "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

TRDG, If a Canadian, the spelling might be "Levesque". Just in case you go searching for possible facts behind it.

An excellent novel on the war in the Pacific, written by a former Australian Commando, is "Signaler Johnson's Secret War" by Peter Pinney. Actually, an amalgam of three novels he published on his experiences with 5 Independent Company, later 5 Cavalry Commando Sqdn in Papua and New Guinea. (University of Queensland Press)
                        dit: Lirelou

Phong trần mài một lưỡi gươm, Những loài giá áo túi cơm sá ǵ!

Comment

Thanks guys

I'm sure I'll find out more once I get the books after the series ends.

Cheers, great help here guys, thanks again for tht, nd the interest!!

Tom

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                          X