Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Pacific, episode 3, Melbourne

Now a shift for some R&R for the Marines in this episode

Leckie and Basilone get shipped to Melbourne along with the other Marines after the hell in Guadalcanal.

Basilone is awarded a medal, as more than a few us us know already, then gets an offer to go state side for the war bond fight at home.

Leckie meets an Australian girl while there, but we also see some of the "effects of the war" on him as well....

Cheers, I hope they really capture the guys so we get to bond a lot more, before the conbat continues with them.

Tom
    Last edited by TRDG; 27 Mar 10, 07:34.

So what did you think?

The 1st marines ship lands in Melbourne, not mucha is said as they seem tired, exhausted and more than a bit dazed, jut the "what the hell is this", when they see the crowd and band playing for the heroes of Guadalcanal.

Is that first marine with the girl and the father in the bar Phillips? I was'nt to sure....

Basilone is the one who drinks and fights in the first bar scenes after everyone goes AWAL from the Cricket stadium.
    Then has a chat with Chesty on his award, no more drinking as he is getting the medal of honour, and a bud stops him from stealing a jeep even after this!!

A drunken Leckie walks dow a sidewalk and a girl catchs his eye, he gives chase and jumps on a trolly car and gets her address. A dtae for the next day, but must be sober!! LOL

Basilone gets his medal, a very underwhelming scene, could be what they wanted thoough as Basilone does not feel like a "hero".

Leckie (sober!) gets to meet the the girls (Stella) Greek family the next day, and we get to know a bit more about his family. The mom and Leckie chatter in the dinner is just great. Gets invited to stay the night by the parents!!

Love scene naturally then, but the pillow talk really lets us in about Leckie and his family, very nice to see!!

Leckie contemplating a life with this family while he "works off" his overnight visit cleaning the roof of vines with the father, while loking down on Stella and the mom.

Basilone is ordered by Chesty it seems to do the important job back home to sell those war bonds, "just as important as what he did at Guadal".

Another love scene outdoors no lees between Leckie and Stella, gifts are given to her as well, silk stockings and a leg of lamb for the family.

Then another "family" scene cooking the lamb and reading the bad news in the paper, dead friends of Stella and the family, hits them hard.

Leckie and Stella's mom have a nice talk.

The he heads out and does some training a 100 mile march abck to Melbourne. Some "target practice" on the cows from the train by a marine, and a reaction from another to it!!

One bag of rice and one bag of raisins for the "training march", this food is what the enemy has that will last the Japanese soldier 3 weeks in the jungle!! Popping blisters, not to sure this was the best training for upcoming battles, but what do I know, LOL

Leckie gets back to Stella and she kills what they had by pushing him away. We won';t get married, no kids don't want to go through this if you get killed, and the pain it would put her mom through.... "You are never coming back to Melbourne"

He is just crushed by this and goes on a bender, the results of witch puts him in the stockade while trying to help a fellow Marine out, Pulls out a gun on an officer and mouths off. Then gets transferred out of his company the next day for that!!!!!!!

Episode 4 will really get into the "fall of Leckie" more, but Stella has started this all out it seems.

Goes to Phillips?? and a girl love scene.

Basilone ships off back home on a plane while a buddy of his says farewell to him.

This was not quite what I expected for episode 3, but it works, can't wait to see how Leckie copes in episode 4, fighting the Marines (the system), Japanese, the jungle and himself....

Strap in boys and girls, from the next episode on there will not let up we will be in for quite a ride I suspect, be it a BoB experience or not remains to be seen! Ha Ha

Tom

Comment

Tom, there is a pertinent chapter in Leckie's book, "Helmet for my Pillow" called "Brig Rat". I hope they include it.

Pruitt
      Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

The 1st Marine Div were based also at the Balcombe Army Base at Mt Martha, about 40 kms south of Melbourne. It was here I believe that Sgt Basilone was awarded his MOH. He was awarded it in company with 3 other recipients, one the CO of the 1st Div, (see pic) what did he do?

Balcombe is now a up-market housing estate.

"Phillips" could be Phillip Island, then and now a popular week end holiday spot.

The Cricket ground is the MCG, the Melbourne Cricket Ground, now a stadium of 100,000 seats, where the 1956 Olympic Games were held.

A leg of lamb was and is a staple for an Australian family and in WW2 a rare and expensive delicacy.

John
        Attached Files
        Last edited by ozjohn39; 29 Mar 10, 03:58.
        The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

Originally posted by TRDG View Post
          Basilone is the one who drinks and fights in the first bar scenes after everyone goes AWAL from the Cricket stadium.
          Congrats TRDG! Step forward and recieve the Obama certified "Corpse-man Award" for mishandling military jargon. It's AWOL, not AWAL. One more mistake like that and the Navy will knock you against the wall, push you to the floor, and shove you through the little round window!
          A new life awaits you in the off world colonies; the chance to begin again in a golden land of opportunity and adventure!

Comment

Episode three really explains why my dad thought so much of Australia and especially Melbourne!
            ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
            IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I served in the Navy and was always disappointed I never got to Australia. I had heard the women there were very friendly and the Australian men not so. I always just chalked it up to old sea stories. One buddy of mine that had been Down Under said the women welcomed the ships into port holding up signs saying "Welcome Yanks," among other things, and I always thought "Yeah right," until I saw last night's episode. I hope we Yanks haven't worn out our welcome there yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Pyle's Heroes View Post
                I served in the Navy and was always disappointed I never got to Australia. I had heard the women there were very friendly and the Australian men not so. I always just chalked it up to old sea stories. One buddy of mine that had been Down Under said the women welcomed the ships into port holding up signs saying "Welcome Yanks," among other things, and I always thought "Yeah right," until I saw last night's episode. I hope we Yanks haven't worn out our welcome there yet.
                When I lived in Darwin I met a bunch of US sailors during a multi national exercise we were holding. We had a good night drinking beer and playing pool and locals were coming up all night to ask questions about their ships or just to have a chat. The only trouble that I saw were a couple of fights between sailors of different countries and all I can say to that is no matter how tough you are or how drunk picking a fight with bunch of Maori sailors is just asking for a kicking.
                Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

John.

If you get the chance read a book by Eric Hammel called: "Starvation Island". It describes the 1st Marine Division's stay on the island. It tells how the CO did everything he could do to keep his troops in the fight. If nothing else, he deserved a medal for keeping the Navy from running his campaign.

Pruitt

Comment

Jose, Pruitt, etc.

1st Marine Div were given a parade down Swanston St with the crowd about 10 deep by the look of it.

As for the welcome given to them by the 'ladies', I expect that with most of the Australian men overseas they would be popular.

In those days the Yanks were well paid and the Australians paid a pittance. It is exactly reversed now.
                    The conflicts were generally started by jealous Australian men with empty pockets, but overall the Americans were seen as saviours, even though at that time, and up to 1944, there were MANY more Australians up north than MacArthur had Americans.

We had a fancy new fully equiped 400 bed hospital, the 'Royal Melbourne', just finished at about that time, early to mid 1942, and it was handed over to the Americans on day 1. It nursed back to health 10s of 1000s of wounded Yanks. Many came back for a re-union a year or so ago.

And our largest department store owner had just finished a fancy near store and that also was handed over as the new US Army HQs for the duration.

Many Americans were billeted in Australian homes also, including a USN officer called Lyndon Baines Johnson. (In the fanciest suburb in Melbourne of course!)

The MCG was a Military camp for most of the War, occupied mainly by Americans. It has a playing surface of about 180 yards by 120 yards, so I have no idea how many it would hold.

Another was Camp Pell on the northern outskirts of the city centre, that was very large and held 1000s of Americans, and the huts became temporary public housing after the war.

Our 'Shrine of Remembrance' (Google) has a very impressive monument to the American role in WW2.

John.
                    The PLO claims ALL of Israel!!! There will and can NEVER be a "2 State solution".

Comment

PS,

Every 'ANZAC DAY' many Americans, some now resident in Australia, others from the US, march in our most solemn parade with their Unit Flags.

They always get a cheer.

John.

Comment

Originally posted by Rojik View Post
                        The only trouble that I saw were a couple of fights between sailors of different countries and all I can say to that is no matter how tough you are or how drunk picking a fight with bunch of Maori sailors is just asking for a kicking.
                        Aren't those the ones that Rommel was talking about when he interviewed an Aussie commander about a unit under his command that was quite notorious for not taking prisoners?

Comment

Not only did the Maoris not like to take prisoners, their ancestors would eat the losers! It would not take much for Germans to confuse the two issues.

Pruitt

Comment

Chris,

"Aren't those the ones that Rommel was talking about when he interviewed an Aussie commander about a unit under his command that was quite notorious for not taking prisoners?"

I am well aware that Australians (and Americans) took few prisoners in the Pacific, but I very much doubt that such a thing was common in the desert. From my conversations with AIF vets, they held a high regard for the Africa Korps troops.

The japs resorted to the cannibalism of Australian prisoners on the Kokoda Track, and NONE of the 36 Australians captured at Milne Bay survived. Australians took very few prisoners after that.

Comment

During one of our overseas deployment (1979-80) we made a stop in Papu New Guinea at Port Moresby then on to Guadalcanal. While there I managed to meet up with an Aussie and a group of us explored part (very small) of the island. Managed to make it to Red Beach, Henderson Field, Bloody Ridge and a couple of other areas. Very interesting!
                              Too Much To Do Too Little Time

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X