No announcement yet.

The Pacific, 2nd episode, Basilone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

they are showing back to back episodes 1&2 on first showing on the easter monday here in the u.k. so that should be good way to get into it..ray..

Comment

So far, I'm disappointed. The Guadalcanal episode (# 2) fell far short of the kind of carnage and mayhem that really occurred and was so well presented in Saving Private Ryan and BoB. The impression is that a few Marines died, while a lot of Japanese died - hardly the truth at all.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I like the acting in the series and think the action will get even more intense as we follow Basilone, Leckie, and Sledge to the other islands they fought on. But I also think Guadalcanal did not show how badly the Corps suffered. It was like Guadalcanal was just to give a little taste of what is to come. Guess we'll see. I'm not comparing it to BoB because that was just one unit in a much larger war and there were more characters that were fleshed out and developed over the course of it. The Pacific is really only showcasing three Marines, unless you count Sid Phillips and Chesty Puller, so maybe five. But overall I think it's been done fairly well so far.

Comment

I have to agree with you pyle's heroes...

I enjoyed the first two episodes, the only thing is that they are already done with Guadacanal and not much has really been shown from the battle. then again, there is a lot of war to cover in just 10 episodes.

Suzie

Comment

Ya. BoB covered a period that lasted barely a year. The Pacific will cover almost three years' worth of fighting, involving numerous large and complex battles.

I think this series will suffer compared to BoB from this. There will not be as much emotive connection with the unit and the men.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
              So far, I'm disappointed. The Guadalcanal episode (# 2) fell far short of the kind of carnage and mayhem that really occurred and was so well presented in Saving Private Ryan and BoB. The impression is that a few Marines died, while a lot of Japanese died - hardly the truth at all.
              Actually, the Japanese had 35,000 KIA at Guadalcanal vs 1600 American KIA.

I saw an interview with Robert Leckie before he passed away where he stated at the Battle of the Ilu/Tenaru depicted in episode 1 that the Marines killed 2200 Japanese while losing only 26 Marine KIA.
              "The blade itself incites to deeds of violence".

Homer

BoRG

Comment

I wonder

If that 1600 is the right one CG, on the on demand clips (HBO) it said more than 3000 were KIAed by the end of Guadalcanal. It was from a "news clip" from that time though......

Cheers, I'll have to check and see what I can find out about these numbers.

Tom

Comment

In the Battle of the Tenaru, Col Ichiki's losses were 789K, USMC had 34 K, 75 W
                  ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
                  IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

I've heard varying numbers about Japanese losses at the Ilu/Tenaru fight. Anywhere from 800 on up...

The wide range of casualty figures is because some statistics for Guadalcanal casualties include naval losses as well.

The point I was trying to make was that the Marines on Guadalcanal, while suffering substantial casualties themselves, really put the hurt on the Japanese land forces fighting there.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

So far, it presents a very inaccurate and almost benign picture of the slaughterhouse that was the war in the Pacific.

It certainly does not do justice to either the battles, the USMC or the real historical occurrences.
                      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Any mention of casualty figures on the American side shouldn't forget the sailors lost during the naval battles, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                          So far, it presents a very inaccurate and almost benign picture of the slaughterhouse that was the war in the Pacific.

It certainly does not do justice to either the battles, the USMC or the real historical occurrences.
                          I think that will be shown during the Peleliu and Okinawa episodes.

Early in the war the Japanese believed the Americans were mentally and morally soft and could easily be shattered with the ferocity of a Banzai attack.

By the later phase of the war the Japanese had gone from an offensive minded Banzai attack mentality to a defensive attrition strategy. The primary reason for this change in strategy was the result of the failure of the mass infantry Banzai charges that occurred on Guadalcanal and some of the other earlier Pacific battles.

Homer

BoRG

Comment

From what I found

Land force losses seemed to be from 1500 to 1752 for the canal, I bet they did add in the naval losses, anyone have a number for that by chance?
                            For the Japanese anything from 25000 and up, quite a difference between the two natons.
                            I did find it interesting that there were just labor units on Guadalcanal at first for Japan, then the regular reinforcements were shipped in quickly after the landing.

Cheers, it should be interesting to see the changing tactics from Guadalcanal to Pelilue for Japan as well.

Tom

Comment

They could make a movie about Manila John all by itself. I was proud that my first offical post was 1st BN 7th Marines. His picture was still hung with pride.
                              In Vino Veritas

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X