Battle of Britain movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Larkin
    When was this? I have the movie on DVD and don't remember seeing this.
    Wow! Were you asleep, stoned, or watching it on FF? I had to rewind again to catch the dailogue spoken in that scene (and again, and again....).
    Gus

Comment

Thanks, good pics Richard:thumb: "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few." Winston Churchill
      B. FETT

Comment

When I first saw the original Battle of Britain movie I thought the opening sequence during the opening credits with the Luftwaffe commanders landing and then riding thru all the airplane units was very dramatic. Germany had a very powerful air arm at the start of the war. Goering wasted much of this during the critical part of the war. I would like to see a remake of this motion picture,and the opening scenes should show the power of one side {Germany} and the determination of the other {England}. Hats off to the brave lads of England and the other nations who fought along side to turn the tide of Germany.
        Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Interestingly enough, there was recently a documentary about the BoB which went to great pains to explain how this was a battle fought by a bunch of hardened, professional veterans on the one hand, and a load of gifted flyboy amateurs on the other.

Except, this wasn't as you might imagine it - the British were said to be the hardened, professional veterans and the Germans were the gifted flyboy amateurs.

This was in light of the fact that Britain had a ready formulated plan to repel invasion, with RADAR supported by ground observers and rapid reaction squadrons of fighter planes ready to go into action at a moment's notice, whereas the Germans had a relatively new air arm and were somewhat more "casual" in their approach.

I thought it was an interesting spin - essentially the gist of it was that the German Luftwaffe never actually stood a chance in hell of winning because of what they were up against. When you consider the outcome, and the fact that every time a German pilot went down or bailed out - he was lost to the war forever (unless he was a REALLY good swimmer), compared to the recovery rates of British pilots who, after all, were bailing out over friendly, unconquered territory, I'd be interested to hear other views on this.

Dr. S.
            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister
              Interestingly enough, there was recently a documentary about the BoB which went to great pains to explain how this was a battle fought by a bunch of hardened, professional veterans on the one hand, and a load of gifted flyboy amateurs on the other.

Except, this wasn't as you might imagine it - the British were said to be the hardened, professional veterans and the Germans were the gifted flyboy amateurs.

This was in light of the fact that Britain had a ready formulated plan to repel invasion, with RADAR supported by ground observers and rapid reaction squadrons of fighter planes ready to go into action at a moment's notice, whereas the Germans had a relatively new air arm and were somewhat more "casual" in their approach.

I thought it was an interesting spin - essentially the gist of it was that the German Luftwaffe never actually stood a chance in hell of winning because of what they were up against. When you consider the outcome, and the fact that every time a German pilot went down or bailed out - he was lost to the war forever (unless he was a REALLY good swimmer), compared to the recovery rates of British pilots who, after all, were bailing out over friendly, unconquered territory, I'd be interested to hear other views on this.

Dr. S.
              I can understand where this documentary came to this conclusion. Most of the RAF pilots in the BoB were pre-war regulars, pre-war auxilaries, or experienced pilots from the occupied countries (Poles, Czechs, Dutch, Norwegians, etc). Even the inexperienced pilots that started joining the sqns, straight from training, towards the end, had mostly joined up pre-war or at the very beginning of the war.

Can you remember the name of the documentary?

Comment

Originally posted by terry patterson
                STUKAS!......sorry i do that every time.quite a wonderfull plane actually.
                I hear you. Even in the computer game IL-2 Forgotten Battles they look frightning flying in formation!!

Until I show up in my Spit or Hurri!!!

BigMik1
                "Cry Havoc!! and let slip the dogs of war!!!"
                -Mark Anthony in Willam Shakespeare "Julius Caesar" (1599)

Comment

Re: Re: Battle of Britain movie

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                  Somehow I doubt the actors would be as good.
                  I have to totally agree with you on this. These actors today are getting too much money and stink. But, that Bloom fellow would be good in a role.

BigMik1

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor Sinister

Dr. S.
                    There was a show on the History Channel that spoke on the subject of the BOB I believe, but I could be wrong. I know for sure there was one on the Spitfire and it's role in the BOB.

BigMik1

Comment

Originally posted by james hansen
                      Only one problem......This type was not yet available for the Battle of Britain........The German's flew varients of the Me-109 Emil in 1940.
                      Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Battle of Britain movie

Originally posted by BigMik1
                        I have to totally agree with you on this. These actors today are getting too much money and stink. But, that Bloom fellow would be good in a role.

BigMik1
                        I started thinking about potential actors for a Battle of Britain remake. I didn't list any actresses since their parts would be mostly very small. Anyone I've left off that's deserving? I only listed British/Scotish/Irish/Australian/New Zealand so there's no faked accents....

Clive Owen
                        Ioan Gruffudd
                        Orlando Bloom
                        Eric Bana
                        Geoffrey Rush
                        Pierce Brosnan
                        Alan Bates
                        Michael Gambon
                        Derek Jacobi
                        Jeremy Northam
                        Sean Bean
                        Ian Holm
                        Ian McKellan
                        John Rhys-Davies
                        Billy Boyd
                        Dominic Monaghan
                        Jude Law
                        Daniel Day-Lewis
                        Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Re: Re: Re: Re: Battle of Britain movie

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                          I started thinking about potential actors for a Battle of Britain remake. I didn't list any actresses since their parts would be mostly very small. Anyone I've left off that's deserving? I only listed British/Scotish/Irish/Australian/New Zealand so there's no faked accents....

Clive Owen
                          Ioan Gryffudd
                          Orlando Bloom
                          Eric Bana
                          Geoffrey Rush
                          Pierce Brosnan
                          Alan Bates
                          Michael Gambon
                          Derek Jacobi
                          Jeremy Northam
                          Sean Bean
                          Ian Holm
                          Ian McKellan
                          John Rhys-Davies
                          Billy Boyd
                          Dominic Monaghan
                          Jude Law
                          I think Sean Bean would be good to play the same sqn cdr that Robert Shaw played. Orlando Bloom could play the young, raw, pilot who joins Christopher Plummer's sqn and becomes a section leader.

However, could anyone play Dowding as well as Sir Laurence Olivier did?

Comment

Originally posted by michammer
                            Can you remember the name of the documentary?
                            No, 'fraid not.

Dr. S.
                            Imagine a ball of iron, the size of the sun. And once a year a tiny sparrow brushes its surface with the tip of its wing. And when that ball of iron, the size of the sun, is worn away to nothing, your punishment will barely have begun.

www.sinisterincorporated.co.uk

www.tabletown.co.uk

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X