X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Go see it soonest!

Originally posted by panzermacher View Post
    Just got out of the movie theatre I'll sum it up in one word ........WOW
    true to the book sad and exciting.....riveting.....
    Saw a comment about the 40mm being fired at the island yep the book even mentioned it too.....and my Dad who was a gunner in WW2 said the same when they were preping an island, they threw everything at it, including the AA guns. Also I'm pretty sure the one scene showed LCI's flinging the rockets, not real sure a big cruiser was in front of it (DAd said some of the cruisers had rockets too so..... not real sure)
    Not real sure the message of this movie is accuracy tho........ I think it's message is the same as the book. It's accurate enough to fool the laymen, and even I saw a few bad inaccuracies, but on the whole... I liked it!
    And be sure to stay all the WAY THROUGH THE CREDITS! Don't leave as soon as the names show up......you'll miss some great photos from the "real Iwo"
    No one moved at the theatre I was at.....everyone sat riveted til the house lights came up....and they all were dead silent! It was touching!
    Go see it and go read the book!
    I agree, boy do I agree! The few minor problems are more than compensated for by the feel of the movie. Can you say another Oscar for ol' Clint? In places it's quite surreal and eerie, especially during the night fights. The story bouncing between combat, the War Bond tour and the author's interviews with his father's mates can be a bit distracting, but in all adds to the power of the story. And do stay through the credits. You will notice more than one photo that Clint used to set his shots, near duplicates. An earlier post mentioned filming in Iceland, but it was also filmed on Iwo. There's a beautiful scene near the end looking down on the beach from the monument on Surabachi.

BTB, I read Clint also filmed a parallel story in Japanese taken from letters of the defenders. I've heard it's already been released in Japan and will come here with subtitles. Might be an interesting contrast.
    All questions are valid, all answers are tentative.

Comment

Not fair

Im jealous...somehow I gotta go and see this soon.
      From what I understand the Japanese version is called "Letters from Iwo Jima" and is to be released in the US in April. Do not quote me on that.

CD
      "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

Originally posted by creeping death View Post
        Im jealous...somehow I gotta go and see this soon.
        From what I understand the Japanese version is called "Letters from Iwo Jima" and is to be released in the US in April. Do not quote me on that.

CD
        Time ran an article in the latest issue about that... Feb. 9 is the date to look for... and yes the title is correct... I believe the Japanese title is: "Red Sun, Black Sand".
        The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Originally posted by BarcelonaBlom View Post
          Time ran an article in the latest issue about that... Feb. 9 is the date to look for... and yes the title is correct... I believe the Japanese title is: "Red Sun, Black Sand".
          Now for my review:

I'm not going to nitpick the little things, they were all right and not noticeable to the general audience.... I will tell you what I feel about this movie, I think it is entertainment at its highest, so the acting (especially in the modern times) is great, the writing could have been better in terms of switching between 3 different time frames.... but I don't think that is the point of a movie or other forms of entertainment.... The point is to evoke emotion:

All I'll say about this movie is this: At then end about the time of Ira's passing, I felt tears coming on..... When John Bradley died, they were rolling, when the Marines hit the beach in the end..... I could barely breathe and was gone at that point.... my friend just looked at me realised I was gone and sat there comforting me for 15 minutes as the credits rolled, I didn't move, the theater cleared out around us and I was still going..... The whole time I could only think about one thing that hit me clear: Its not about 6, or 10, or more.... its about all of them, all the veterans, so many have done so much, things they are proud of, things they aren't, and nobody knows, hell some people nowadays sure as hell don't care, I'd always known thats the message, especially after finishing the book, but this just was so clear to me it hurt.... I've had mountains of respect for war veterans, and this film as put me to the point where I doubt I can meet one and keep my composure, I have that much respect for them now. I'm glad I've read all these books I have, its helped me understand somewhat of what they've been through and I've always been able to show empathy for what they've done. Eastwood has struck a chord with me on this movie, I can't even think about it now, It took me 30 minutes just to be able to talk I was so speechless.... And I told my friend, thank-you for comforting me, and then explained to her why I was crying, she understood, and said it was a good thing, and wished that a veteran could have seen me so they'd know there are people who care a lot for what they've done.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I've rambled but I just now realised typing this, that its not the movie, its the message that hit. And that... I believe.... is art at its zenith....
          The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Comment

what a great concept... TWO movies for one battle covering the perspectives of both combatants....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHnHTvwjn6w

I can't wait to see both!!
            "Freedom cannot exist without discipline, self-discipline, and rights cannot exist without duties. Those who do not observe their duties do not deserve their rights."--Oriana Fallaci

Comment

Now I cant wait to see the Japanese version of the film. Not much Info from there point of view has come forth, not many survivors. I am sure it will be as intense as "Flags" was.
              Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
              In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
              Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

Hope it will be in Holland by X-mas.
                Normally Hollywood movies are shown in Europe approximately eight weeks after their release in the USA. First to the UK/London, then over to the Continent, the Netherlands being one of the first to see them.
                BoRG

You may not be interested in War, but War is interested in You - Leon Trotski, June 1919.

Comment

The US title is letters from Iwo Jima. Might be a Hollywood gimick of a "found" diary as the thread to hold the movie together. I've not heard. I think I saw somewhere it was to be a Decemeber release though. Looking forward to that one too.
                  As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                  Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Been at the premiere this afternoon over here, great film, definitely going to see it again soon, much could be said about it (the battle scenes are breathtaking and the recreation of Iwo is unbelievable) and it can be seen at very different levels but the more important is that this film is about the soldiers themselves, and rarely have they been shown with such humanity.

PS: Be sure to stay until the very end of the credits.

Comment

Going with friends Friday nite

Wanted to go last Friday but we had previous plans
                      Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                        The US title is letters from Iwo Jima. Might be a Hollywood gimick of a "found" diary as the thread to hold the movie together. I've not heard. I think I saw somewhere it was to be a Decemeber release though. Looking forward to that one too.
                        From my understanding the movie is based on letters written home by Japanese on Iwo Jima.
                        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan View Post
                          From my understanding the movie is based on letters written home by Japanese on Iwo Jima.
                          That is correct. Japanese letters home, of which obviously none made it after the battle was begun, leading to my thought on the "found" diary or letters......pure speculation on my part.
                          As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                          Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

We have just published a new special issue magazine on Iwo Jima in which one of our editors, David Grogan, interviewed Clint Eastwood about making both films. In the interview, Eastwood explains, in detail, why he wanted to tell the battle from the Japanese perspective (he became fascinated with General Kuribayashi) and how the second movie evolved (it is a character piece that explores the feelings of a handful of soldiers) and MUCH more about his experiences with the films and Iwo Jima.

The special is called Iwo Jima: The Battle We Can't Forget and it should be hitting newstands soon. It can also be purchased online at the HistoryNetShop.
                            Diane Tira

Comment

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                              That is correct. Japanese letters home, of which obviously none made it after the battle was begun, leading to my thought on the "found" diary or letters......pure speculation on my part.
                              I have heard Gen. Kuribayashi's diary quoted on several shows about Iwo Jima so I don't think there's much to dispute. I'm sure diaries were left by various ranks within the Japanese forces.
                              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2miabOXFtU

A Japanese combo trailer of both Flags and Letters or for them... Red Sun, Black Sand (I believe that is still the Japanese title...)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X