No announcement yet.

Spielberg/Eastwood Iwo Jima Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I saw the trailer on HD Net today and where ever it was shot it looks incredibly authentic. Given Eastwood and Spielberg's track records for historical accuracy I bet this will be both true to history and entertaining.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

This flick is going to be sad and amazing all at once, I'm willing to bet.
      "Yellowstain!"

Comment

Originally posted by RapierFighter View Post
        This flick is going to be sad and amazing all at once, I'm willing to bet.
        Saw it as at a preview tonight..........it is both.
        As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
        Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

I've seen the previews, but can't make up my mind from them. However, the names "Spielberg" and "Eastwood" are enough for me to see this film.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Seven days to Flags of our Fathers comes out
            "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
              Seven days to Flags of our Fathers comes out
              I just started reading the book in preparation.

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
                I've seen the previews, but can't make up my mind from them. However, the names "Spielberg" and "Eastwood" are enough for me to see this film.
                No, I saw the movie not the trailer. A friend at work gets "prescreening/previews/whatever" tickets all the time at her business. Got there and hour early and was first in line and of course it was a packed house. The special effects are great, the plot is great, the action is great. It is very bloody and gory. I don't want to say too much about it other than GO SEE IT!
                As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Dont' worry

Originally posted by dhuffjr View Post
                  No, I saw the movie not the trailer. A friend at work gets "prescreening/previews/whatever" tickets all the time at her business. Got there and hour early and was first in line and of course it was a packed house. The special effects are great, the plot is great, the action is great. It is very bloody and gory. I don't want to say too much about it other than GO SEE IT!

I have a feeling we know how it ends. This is going to be good but as I have said in the past there are some parts of trailer that concern me.

But I have to say the scenes with the F4-Us flying around are pretty sweet.

CD
                  "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I've yet to see the war movie that was 100% accurate in all regards. One glaring thing that stuck out to me was it appears that battleships are launching rocket salvos instead of LCIs. 40mm guns are depicted shooting at the island so maybe I'm misinterpreting the visual. A bad/big hit on a large ship is depicted, I'm thinking a cruiser took a large caliber hit off the north coast later in the conflict. I don't recall anything big getting hit on D-day or there abouts. There was a line in there that I don't think is accurate as well.

I was talking about a woman I work with who took her 13 year old son to see it. She wanted him to see that war is not the glamorous thing it can be depicted to be. It is real, it is gruesome, and it affects the lives of those who experience it. I think this movie does that rather well.
                    Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

First reviews are coming in & are not painting a good picture:
                      http://www.darkhorizons.com/reviews/flags-n.php
                      http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/flags_of_our_fathers/ Of course, you can't always listen to critics, but I have agreed with some of these folks a lot lately & it scares me that several are saying the same thing & pointing out the same flaws. I'll probably still go & see it.
                      The muffled drums sad roll has beat the soldier's last tatoo. No more on life's parade shall meet that brave and fallen few.

Comment

might see it tomorrow

I might go and see it tomorrow if it's out at the Marcus theaters in Menomonee Falls cinema.

Does anybody know the times that they are going to show it and if all the times are the same at the Marcus theaters?

Thanks,

No_Nickname
                        "You can tell a lot about a fella's character by whether he picks out all of one color or just grabs a handful." -explaining why Reagan liked to have a jar of jelly beans on hand for important meetings

CO for 1st S.INC Shock Security Troop

Comment

Originally posted by No_Nickname View Post
                          I might go and see it tomorrow if it's out at the Marcus theaters in Menomonee Falls cinema.

Does anybody know the times that they are going to show it and if all the times are the same at the Marcus theaters?

Thanks,

No_Nickname

Kinda funny....sorta .... I'm thinking sevenish and you'll be alright.
                          Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Seeing it tonight... have my thoughts and feelings tommorow.... But the local newspaper (San Diego) had a pretty good review.... The reviewer pretty much says this sticks with the roll of Oscar Nominees/Winners Eastwood has had since Unforgiven and Million Dollar Baby.
                            The meeting of two personalities is like the contact of two chemical substances: if there is any reaction, both are transformed. -Carl Jung

Hell is other people. -Jean-Paul Sarte

Comment

Just got out of the movie theatre I'll sum it up in one word ........WOW
                              true to the book sad and exciting.....riveting.....
                              Saw a comment about the 40mm being fired at the island yep the book even mentioned it too.....and my Dad who was a gunner in WW2 said the same when they were preping an island, they threw everything at it, including the AA guns. Also I'm pretty sure the one scene showed LCI's flinging the rockets, not real sure a big cruiser was in front of it (DAd said some of the cruisers had rockets too so..... not real sure)
                              Not real sure the message of this movie is accuracy tho........ I think it's message is the same as the book. It's accurate enough to fool the laymen, and even I saw a few bad inaccuracies, but on the whole... I liked it!
                              And be sure to stay all the WAY THROUGH THE CREDITS! Don't leave as soon as the names show up......you'll miss some great photos from the "real Iwo"
                              No one moved at the theatre I was at.....everyone sat riveted til the house lights came up....and they all were dead silent! It was touching!
                              Go see it and go read the book!
                              Now it's ten years later but he still keeps up the fight
                              In Ireland, in Lebanon, in Palestine and Berkeley
                              Patty Hearst heard the burst of Roland's Thompson gun and bought it

Comment

I've said before the Johny Cash song Ira Hays would be an awesome end with the credits. Seeing that it did not happen the way he did it was awesome. Stirring and reverent are two words that come to mind.
                                Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X