No announcement yet.

Spielberg/Eastwood Iwo Jima Movie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two films would be fantastic! I really hope they can pull that one off.
    Saw something on one of the links indicating that Eastwood might be doing a cameo because he is in uniform. Would be neet if he did but I wonder if it is just so he and the crew blend in for wide area shots. Would be a lot easier to computer edit out a couple cameras etc than large groups of people. Of course ala Pearl Harbor they could just leave them in like the modern destroyers in that train wreck of a movie.
    As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
    Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by JDS8072
      I would be willing to spend my 8 bucks for this movie. Cant wait for it to come out
      Me too.
      After the crowds die down.
      But that said. Do you guys remember when Gettysburg was playing in the theater? I almost waited too long for the crowds to thin out. I almost missed it! Do you think this movie will be popular with the masses?
      Biggie war movies that I have shared and talked with for years with friends are,
      Das Boot
      Platoon
      Glory
      Gettysburg
      Saving Private Ryan
      I wonder if this one will be like that?
      Slug
      "Advances in technology tend to overwhelm me."

Comment

Looking forward to this one. I hope it is a little better than "Heartbreak Ridge".

The scene where a marine platoon is marching into Hightower's ambush (in training) and has flank security about ten feet away from the unit is a little hard to believe. They could have been ambushed by a group of girl scouts selling cookies.
        "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen." - Albert Einstein

Comment

I think that was the point,To make the platoon look inept.

My only complaint about the film is they overexaggerated the Cuban military
          power on Grenada. Most of the fighting was done by construction workers.

Still,I believe it's the only film on Grenada.
          Delegate, MN GOP.

PATRIA SI, COMUNISMO NO

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...?id=1156276727

Comment

Another point IIRC was they were supposed to be ambushed because that was how it was always done. There was no point in them trying. The major just used them for target practice. I would agree that the movie is not a classic by any means BUT Clint Eastwood is great and the movie has some all time classic lines:

cop: I don't give no service man discounts.
            Clint: Too bad, your old lady does.
            Check out our webpage for our NFL picks http://members.cox.net/mjohns59/

Comment

Sounds like it will be good
              Life is Expensive Bullets are cheap anything worth shooting is worth shooting twice.Me
              I'm not lying I'm Just Improving the truth

Comment

If Spielberg lets Eastwood do his thing, it will be great. Eastwood stays away from being overly melodramatic and heavy handed, and I think they'll temper each other's creative license to keep it more factual, and realistic...At least I hope so.
                Love. Where does it come from?
                from The Thin Red Line

Comment

Just saw that Flags Of Our Fathers is scheduled for release on 25 October over here with the second film (the battle from the japanese side) to follow on 13 December. Can't wait to see it, a trailer will be available on 8 September, let's hope for the best

http://www.flagsofourfathers.net/

Comment

Great cast

What an exceptional cast for this film. I don't know everyone on the list but those that I do I like. Barry Pepper= good war movie so far. Neil Mcdonough another great cast member.... Ken Watanabe = awesome Cant wait.
                    I saw Paul walkers name in there...is that who I think it is? Fast and Furious fame, he will probably be good as well.
                    CD
                    "History does not entrust the care of freedom to the weak or timid." Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

I checked YouTube and found this little japanese teaser-trailer apparently mixing images from both Flags Of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, impressive stuff looks like some scenes were actually shot on Iwo proper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2miabOXFtU

Comment

Oh boy...this looks like the real deal!
                        Publisher
                        Armchair General Magazine
                        Weider History Group

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat
                          I checked YouTube and found this little japanese teaser-trailer apparently mixing images from both Flags Of Our Fathers and Letters From Iwo Jima, impressive stuff looks like some scenes were actually shot on Iwo proper:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2miabOXFtU
                          Boonie, I might be wrong, but I think the film was actually shot believe it or not in of all places, Iceland. For what ever reasons they couldn't get access on Iwo Jima and Iceland has simular (though colder) black volcanic beaches.........
                          Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams
                            Boonie, I might be wrong, but I think the film was actually shot believe it or not in of all places, Iceland. For what ever reasons they couldn't get access on Iwo Jima and Iceland has simular (though colder) black volcanic beaches.........
                            Wow, that would be something, the scene where Ken Watanabe walks on the beach with his cane looks just like it, reminded me of the picture that Leftie brought back from his trip there last year.

Comment

Originally posted by Boonierat
                              Wow, that would be something, the scene where Ken Watanabe walks on the beach with his cane looks just like it, reminded me of the picture that Leftie brought back from his trip there last year.
                              Have a link to the picture? Iwo today is greener or more tan (grass/scrub). They might have been able to bring in a small crew for one scene. Part of the problem with using Iwo is environmental. To recreate the WWII attack devastation you'd have to clear burn all the grass and scrub off to recreate the hell on earth appearance. Love the trailer I've made a date with the wife....she can't wait.....well probably but she'll live through it.

I just looked at the youtube trailer. That scene could be edited. Computers allow them to do some amazing stuff. The original trailer linked with the scene from up on Suribachi looking out over the beach and the fleet offshore......wow.
                              Last edited by dhuffjr; 10 Sep 06, 23:12.
                              As lord and master of your grill, you will welcome any opportunity to display your grilling prowess.
                              Mario Batali, 2006

Comment

The picture's link is http://flagsofourfathers.net/gallery...otos/fl016.jpg, I've read an interview with Eastwood somewhere and he said he went back to Iwo Jima to shoot some additional scenes so, my guess is that scenes involving the japanese on the island prior to the assault were shot there but battle scenes were shot elsewhere, Iceland or Studios/CGI probably.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                                X