Your personal movies, ones specific to YOU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your personal movies, ones specific to YOU

Ok I am NOT looking for a %[email protected]$# laundry list if what you thought were the greatest of all time movies, hell we've seen the lists ad naseum

The thread is about the ONE (that's a 1 ie singular), film that you find truly spoke to YOU. it doesn't need to have been a box office mega movie either, it only needs to have meant something to YOU.

Remember, I said ONE, naming more than one film means you can't read

Me, I am selecting Finding Forrester, a film I like to watch now and then. Why? Well I dream of being a writer 'someday'. I likely will not see that 'someday' until I get my dumb self writing instead of talking about it

And this movie is clearly a 'writer's' film.
    It didn't hurt that it had a favourite actor of course
    They picked a great choice for a 'miserable old bugger'.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

At the moment either Dog Soldiers or Memento.

The first film has the average British squadie mentality down to a tee. I'm Shaun (who was born in the same year as me ). He dies.

The other is Memento. Chasing a result, in the dark, without the mental faculty to really understand what is going on, and in a world back to front, speaks to me in volumes .
    How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
    Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

That's a tough choice, since various films speak at various times...

I guess my choice would be The Shootist, starring the Duke.
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

"..like stickin' yer .... out the window and ....... the world.."

Interesing choice, MM. Do you see yourself as the aging gunfighter or the pragmatic doctor? Surely you don't identify with the Ron Howard character...
        For myself, I'll go with that old Jack Nicholson film 'The Last Detail'. I knew a bunch of old lifers just like that when I was in the navy. Back in the late '60s early '70s some of those big navy bases were just holding tanks for the misfits, especially ones like Norfolk ("No-f69k") Va, and San Diego ("Dago") both infamous "Navy Towns"...Portsmouth NH in the '60s also used to be one of those "Navy" towns. It had the brig (now abandoned and inhabited by pigeons and seagulls) and a tawdry downtown/waterfront at that time. The Portsmouth Navy Yard (actually in Kittery, ME) is still operational and Portsmouth itself has been, thankfully, upgraded.

ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
        IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Animal House... It reminds me of college... I liked college.
          Watts Up With That? | The world's most viewed site on global warming and climate change.

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
            Interesing choice, MM. Do you see yourself as the aging gunfighter or the pragmatic doctor? Surely you don't identify with the Ron Howard character...
            For myself, I'll go with that old Jack Nicholson film 'The Last Detail'. I knew a bunch of old lifers just like that when I was in the navy. Back in the late '60s early '70s some of those big navy bases were just holding tanks for the misfits, especially ones like Norfolk ("No-f69k") Va, and San Diego ("Dago") both infamous "Navy Towns"...Portsmouth NH in the '60s also used to be one of those "Navy" towns. It had the brig (now abandoned and inhabited by pigeons and seagulls) and a tawdry downtown/waterfront at that time. The Portsmouth Navy Yard (actually in Kittery, ME) is still operational and Portsmouth itself has been, thankfully, upgraded.
            None on the above...Fine actors, fine acting, and a good story told in an excellent historical setting in a way that defied the usual stereotype of the Western gunfighter. I thought it was one of Wayne's finest, and a fitting end to his career.
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

The Duellists..first saw it in the early eighties and it fired my love for learning about the Napoleonic wars, still watch it today, my DVD copy must be well worn by now. There is one more on my list which was a TV series..but Les Brains sez one.
              Last edited by Post Captain; 18 Feb 10, 15:29.
              Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Post Captain View Post
                The Duellists..first saw it in the early eighties and it fired my love for learning about the Napoleonic wars, still watch it today, my DVD copy must be well worn by now. There is one more on my list which was a TV series..but Les Brains sez one.
                The Flashing Blade ?

I loved this as a kid .
                Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                  The Flashing Blade ?

I loved this as a kid .

Nah..I remember Nelson.

Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Originally posted by Post Captain View Post
                    Nah..I remember Nelson.

I love the mature themes, violence and sex scene stated on the front.

This is my film .

Comment

Leaving Las Vegas.
                      Matthew 5:9 Blessed are the cheesemakers

That's right bitches. I'm blessed!

Comment

Life Is Beautiful (1997) la vida es bella

In this poignant tragicomedy, a clever Jewish Italian waiter named Guido (Roberto Benigni, who also directs and won an Oscar for his role) is sent to a Nazi concentration camp during World War II, along with his wife (Nicoletta Braschi) and their young son (Giorgio Cantarini). Refusing to give up hope, Guido tries to protect his son's innocence by pretending that their imprisonment is an elaborate game, with the grand prize being a tank.

Attached Files
                        Last edited by 17thAirborneSon; 19 Feb 10, 17:23.
                        17thAirborneSon

"The horizon is unlimited." Major General Matthew Ridgeway

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          Ok I am NOT looking for a %[email protected]$# laundry list if what you thought were the greatest of all time movies, hell we've seen the lists ad naseum

The thread is about the ONE (that's a 1 ie singular), film that you find truly spoke to YOU. it doesn't need to have been a box office mega movie either, it only needs to have meant something to YOU.

Remember, I said ONE, naming more than one film means you can't read

Me, I am selecting Finding Forrester, a film I like to watch now and then. Why? Well I dream of being a writer 'someday'. I likely will not see that 'someday' until I get my dumb self writing instead of talking about it

And this movie is clearly a 'writer's' film.
                          It didn't hurt that it had a favourite actor of course
                          They picked a great choice for a 'miserable old bugger'.

This is an easy one: Decision before Dawn w/ Richard Basehart, Oscar Werner, Gary Merrill, O.E. Hasse, Hans-Christian Blech, Hildegard Knef, Wilfrid Seyfferth and a young: Klaus Kinski (as the whining soldier.
                          Hail Caesar, We Who Are About To Die, Salute You.

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                            I love the mature themes, violence and sex scene stated on the front.

This is my film .

Hello N.t.N.,

Nelson - SEX-? ..oh..ja..hmmm..a hundred or so man and..him ..all..alone..for month ..hm.., and and

God God..so that's what the RN is all about

Regards
                            Kruska

Comment

Originally posted by c.evans View Post
                              This is an easy one: Decision before Dawn w/ Richard Basehart, Oscar Werner, Gary Merrill, O.E. Hasse, Hans-Christian Blech, Hildegard Knef, Wilfrid Seyfferth and a young: Klaus Kinski (as the whining soldier.
                              Hello Carl,

right, Decision before Dawn, and that whiney Klaus Kinski. Great movie and acting.

Mine would be "The Eagle has Landed" - about 4 years after that movie I could finally join the German Fallschirmjaegertruppe - but it was too late to find Churchill

Regards
                              Kruska

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X