Sharpe's Back on PBS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sharpe's Back on PBS

Sharpe and his 95th Rifles are back on PBS's "Masterpiece Theater". I saw "Sharpes's Rifles" last week for the umteenth time (I own the DVD boxed set), and having watched it on PBS's HD broadcast, I must say that this is the best quality version that I have ever seen. When originally broadcast in America (and on the DVD's) a 4 X 3 (1.33 to 1) image was shown. While not in a true widescreen aspect ratio that the latest episodes were shot in, this 1992 version is shown in the BBC's 1.66 to 1 ratio that does show a bit more than the original, as well as looking good.

Coming up this week, "Sharpe's Eagle", a favorite for many.
    Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Sharpe and Harper marching again...

Ah, a great series, both on television and the book series. Bean and O'malley do a great job portraying Sharpe and Harper. I look forward to seeing them all again, for the "umteenth" time, lol.
    "With great authority comes great responsibility."

Comment

Thanks for the best news in a while!

All we need now is Hornblower!
      Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
        Thanks for the best news in a while!

All we need now is Hornblower!
        They have a Horatio Hornblower on dvd. Ioan Gruffudd plays Horatio Hornblower. You can look for it on Amazon.com
        In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
        - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Here's something...there's a rumor about that says another Sharpe's episode is in the works to be released in the near future. Has anyone else heard this story?
          ARRRR! International Talk Like A Pirate Day - September 19th
          IN MARE IN COELO

Comment

Loved the series but wished that they either had a bigger budget or access to some cgi to make the battles look more like reality instead of a squad chasing 3 or 4 guys in French uniforms.
            45B10 1986-91

Comment

Originally posted by jose50 View Post
              Here's something...there's a rumor about that says another Sharpe's episode is in the works to be released in the near future. Has anyone else heard this story?
              I haven't heard that story.
              In this world nothing is certain but death and taxes
              - Benjamin Franklin, U.S. statesman, author, and scientist

Comment

Originally posted by popuptarget View Post
                Loved the series but wished that they either had a bigger budget or access to some cgi to make the battles look more like reality instead of a squad chasing 3 or 4 guys in French uniforms.
                It was made by the BBC, not HBO, they did the best that they could with a limited budget.
                Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                  It was made by the BBC, not HBO, they did the best that they could with a limited budget.
                  I think it's actually made by ITV as that was the channel Sharpe was aired on in the UK. ITV probably had less of a budget than the BBC in the 1990s.

Comment

Well PBS slipped a new Sharpe episode, "Sharpe's Peril", on Masterpiece Theater last night. This is a newly prduced story, done in widescreen HD. Mercifully, they've adapted the book from Sharpe's 1790's Indian adventures to an 1818 timeframe in India, so Sharpe and Harper are reasonably aged for the actors who portray them. Sean Bean seems to have aged well, Daraugh O'Malley is showing his age a bit more. I would give it a so-so rating. I wish that rather than adapting the "prequel", India located stories, they would just make "Sharpe's Devil" that is set in 1821 Chile.
                    Lance W.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance Williams View Post
                      Well PBS slipped a new Sharpe episode, "Sharpe's Peril", on Masterpiece Theater last night. This is a newly prduced story, done in widescreen HD. Mercifully, they've adapted the book from Sharpe's 1790's Indian adventures to an 1818 timeframe in India, so Sharpe and Harper are reasonably aged for the actors who portray them. Sean Bean seems to have aged well, Daraugh O'Malley is showing his age a bit more. I would give it a so-so rating. I wish that rather than adapting the "prequel", India located stories, they would just make "Sharpe's Devil" that is set in 1821 Chile.

Sharpe's Devil would have been a better choice, great story line, meeting Napoleon on St. Helena and fighting alongside Thomas Cochrane.
                      Last edited by Post Captain; 06 Apr 10, 03:21.
                      Never Fear the Event

Admiral Lord Nelson

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                      X