Favourite historical series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Favourite historical series

I don't have cable and my TV is 15 years old. But I really enjoy historical series. Well... historical in a very liberal sense. Here are two of my favourites. What are yours?

The Tudors
    Watching the second season right now.

Rome
    Have watched this over and over.
    AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
    The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

I like both of these that u mentioned Duncan....I wish they would do some more on Rome though..
    "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
    "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

Band of Brothers.
      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by robbielynne View Post
        I like both of these that u mentioned Duncan....I wish they would do some more on Rome though..
        There is a new Roman series that is premiering Jan.22 on Starz called Spartacus:Blood and Sand. What I've seen thus far looks good and I will watch it when I can.

My faves:
        Rome-it was ok but ok is better than nothing.
        The Tudors-not totally accurate but it gets the story across and does a good job of portraying the period.
        Band of Brothers-most excellent.
        Cenetenial-awesome epic series that a good job of describing the settling of the American West.
        If the art of war were nothing but the art of avoiding risks,glory would become the prey of mediocre minds. Napoleon

Comment

"Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

For a historical series, little can beat History Bites, history with a twist.

I have found you tend to remember things better also when you found it amusing rather than dry and dull.
            Life is change. Built models for decades.
            Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
            I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Mary Bryant an Aussie TV series about early convict days.
              John Adams An absolute classic currently showing on Australian TV. Intend to buy the DVD when its released here.
              Band of Brothers.
              Deadwood Seen the first 2 series on DVD.

Comment

Originally posted by Legate View Post
                There is a new Roman series that is premiering Jan.22 on Starz called Spartacus:Blood and Sand. What I've seen thus far looks good and I will watch it when I can.

My faves:
                Rome-it was ok but ok is better than nothing.
                The Tudors-not totally accurate but it gets the story across and does a good job of portraying the period.
                Band of Brothers-most excellent.
                Cenetenial-awesome epic series that a good job of describing the settling of the American West.
                Yes I saw the advertisements for it...Hope they do it well...I love the Tudors but I don't take any of the main storyline as the historical gospel...In the first or second show they have the wrong sister marrying the King of Portugal in truth she married the much older King of France and literally ran him to death within 6 or 7 weeks after the marriage...then married Charles Brandon...Henry's elder sister Margaret Tudor had married King James of Scotland years earlier...but I love all of the pomp and such they have put into the series
                "Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."- Sir Winston Churchill, about R.A.F. fighter pilots."
                "It is well that war is so terrible, else we grow to fond of it." - Robert E. Lee

Comment

I like Cadfael as well. Used to get it from the library from time to time. I ended up buying it last year.
                  AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
                  The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Rome was very entertaining if not entirely accurate. I just put The Tudors on my Netflix cue after reading this thread! Band of Brothers is great, looks like The Pacific will be along the same lines.

From the Earth to the Moon is another of my favorites.

Comment

When is Pacific starting? and what is From the Earth to the Moon about?

Comment

From the Earth to the Moon is about the early days of the space program. It is a Tom Hanks and I believe Ron Howard cooperative production. I'm not exactly sure when The Pacific starts since I don't really watch TV. I'll have to wait for the DVD release.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                          For a historical series, little can beat History Bites, history with a twist.

I have found you tend to remember things better also when you found it amusing rather than dry and dull.
                          I particularly liked the episode about the fall of Rome, with the Martha Stewart impression with her burying her valuables in the back yard "in my husband's senatorial robes...he wouldn't get caught dead in them"

Last edited by globetrotter; 06 Jan 10, 03:46.
                          "Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

my vote goes for rome series

i have the two volumes of this series, on DVD enthralling watching, very factual, lot of research done on the uniforms etc, the story line keeps you in there all the treachery going on, not cheap to buy, but many hours of pleasure watching it.
                            micky

Comment

Based upon a fictional series (closely based upon history) but well-written and brilliantly acted. In my collection

Last edited by globetrotter; 06 Jan 10, 04:03.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X