Star Trek

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Star Trek

I just watched the Star Trek pre-quel, and was impressed. Quite a cast, too, including the geriatric Nimoy.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

I agree.I think the cast did a great job of portraying the original characters.I rented it On Demand a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

As a major Star Trek fan, I was very worried before I saw this movie, especially when all the info about the major plot alterations hit the internet...but I have to admit that I was sold after the first 30 seconds of the movie. It was a fantastic film IMO...and Chris Pine must really have studied Shatner's mannerisms...he even sits in the chair just like him!
      Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

I loved it and was surprised how well the actors pegged the characters. Lots of geeky allusions to enjoy too.
        AHIKS - Play by (E)mail board wargaming since 1965.
        The Blitz - Play by Email computer wargaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Legatus Augusti View Post
          As a major Star Trek fan, I was very worried before I saw this movie, especially when all the info about the major plot alterations hit the internet...but I have to admit that I was sold after the first 30 seconds of the movie. It was a fantastic film IMO...and Chris Pine must really have studied Shatner's mannerisms...he even sits in the chair just like him!
          The only thing Pine missed was Shatner's weird speaking voice.
          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Pine may not have the same problems Shatner had in remembering the script!

Pruitt
            Pruitt, you are truly an expert! Kelt06

Have you been struck by the jawbone of an ASS lately?

by Khepesh "This is the logic of Pruitt"

Comment

I saw it at the theatre shortly after it was released. I liked it enough that my daughter bought it for me for Christmas

I felt the villain was a bit weak, but Star Trek is not about the villain it's about the relationship between the heroes, and this movie nailed that part.

Looking forward to more - KAHNNNNN!!!!!
              Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

I believe the conceit is that this movie is an alternate world Star Trek, in which case it works very well. It seemed that Simon Pegg (as Scotty) stole the movie near the end with a nice variant on '60s series and movie James Doohan. The best Doohan part I liked was his bits in the whale movie (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home).

Comment

I saw the movie in the theaters & now I have it at home. I agree that Shatner should have had some kind of role.

Comment

Originally posted by Tuor View Post
                    I believe the conceit is that this movie is an alternate world Star Trek, in which case it works very well. It seemed that Simon Pegg (as Scotty) stole the movie near the end with a nice variant on '60s series and movie James Doohan. The best Doohan part I liked was his bits in the whale movie (Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home).
                    I agree...Simon Pegg was fantastic as Scotty. I love that he said "I'm givin' it all she's got Captain!" They did a great job of adding in many of the classic lines without overdoing it, and they were able to leave plenty of stuff for the sequals too.
                    Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

Pegg did a great Scotty.

My favorite Doohan scene has to be from "The Trouble with Tribbles" episode.The bar fight and Scotty's discussion with Kirk afterwards was classic.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

My only disappointment was Uhura.

Frankly the new lass is nothing in comparison.

I also was not to happy with them making Spock 'emotional' with her.

I do hope they continue with the process of turfing everything of old Trek. Frankly some of the trekkie mob are just a bit too anal with their obsession of all things canon.
                        Life is change. Built models for decades.
                        Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
                        I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

Star Trek is barely 'connon.'

Basically, it has everything that makes Star Trek aweseome, and none of what makes Star Trek suck!
                          How many Allied tanks it would take to destroy a Maus?
                          275. Because that's how many shells there are in the Maus. Then it could probably crush some more until it ran out of gas. - Surfinbird

Comment

Two thumbs way up. Even my wife enjoyed it. I thought the guy who played McCoy was fantastic and very true to DeForrest Kelly's portrayal.

Lets hope the sequel can match it. Any chance they take on the Gorn? I'd love to see what modern special effects could come up with.

Comment

Speaking of the Gorn:

I just saw part of a Mythbusters show where they determinded
                              that Kirk's anti-Gorn cannon would have literally blown up in
                              his face.

Btw, there's a nice allusion to Kirk's tilting with the Gorn in
                              the movie Galaxy Quest. Of course, that whole movie is a
                              fond take-off on Star Trek and Trekkies.
                              Last edited by Tuor; 01 Jan 10, 15:10.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

• casanova
                                Klaudia Tanner
                                by casanova
                                During a speech by the Austrian minister of defence Klaudia Tanner to the soldiers one soldier fell down. The minister helped him to stand up again. The...
                                Yesterday, 23:56
                              • Karri
                                Doom Patrol
                                by Karri
                                Anyone else following?

IMO, it's one of the rare good things to come from this whole superhero genre (which is really mostly the same as...
                                Yesterday, 23:55
                              • Nikki
                                Iranian Nuclear Program Setback
                                by Nikki
                                Iran's nuclear program was at an advanced stage, this had to be done. Israel carried out this mission to buy the world some more time....
                                Yesterday, 23:03
                              Working...
                              X