Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• March or Die 1977 film with Gene Hackman

I love the first part.

Double-click on the video screen to watch in 16:9 format (if you prefer).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/March_or_Die_%28film%29
    My avatar: Center of the Cross of the Légion d'honneur (Legion of Honour) of the First French Empire (Napoleonic Era), 3rd type (awarded between 1806-1808). My Légion d'honneur. :-)

It was an interesting film, although it failed to live up to it's promise. Hackman wasn't even the central character.
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I have that one in my collection. I'll basically watch just about anything with Terrence Hill in it. Used to seeing him in westerns though.
      Life is change. Built models for decades.
      Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
      I didn't for a long time either.

Comment

He had intense eyes, didn't he? An interesting actor who never really reached the top of the profession.

I wonder how many recognized Jaws from the Bond films in that movie?

Comment

Always thought Terrence is what you get when you mix Clint Eastwood with a good comedian.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
            Always thought Terrence is what you get when you mix Clint Eastwood with a good comedian.
            Define "good comedian"?

Comment

A 'great' comedian is someone that is drop dead funny and never once had to resort to foul language. George Burns is a good example.

A 'good' comedian is one that is known for their mainstream works that is primarily clean even if they might do a few performances that get rowdy. Steve Martin is a good example.

Guys that can't be funny if you take the toilet humour out of their routine are not really ideally good at all. Sure we might laugh at them but it won't be 'with' them.

It's damned rare you get a guy like George Carlin that actually can break the rules on the above.

Comment

Thanks for posting this. It looks interesting.
                And it's over the mountain and over the Main,
                Through Gibralter, to France and Spain.
                Pit a feather tae your bonnet, and a kilt aboon your knee,
                Enlist my bonnie laddie and come awa with me.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                  A 'great' comedian is someone that is drop dead funny and never once had to resort to foul language. George Burns is a good example.

A 'good' comedian is one that is known for their mainstream works that is primarily clean even if they might do a few performances that get rowdy. Steve Martin is a good example.

Guys that can't be funny if you take the toilet humour out of their routine are not really ideally good at all. Sure we might laugh at them but it won't be 'with' them.

It's damned rare you get a guy like George Carlin that actually can break the rules on the above.
                  By that definition, Terrence Hill wasn't a comedian at all.

The new George Carlin - Lewis Black.

Comment

Comedy isn't limited to one liners though.

Comment

True, but Hill played allegedly serious roles. He never played in any film that I can remember that was labeled a "comedy".

Comment

I think I have to go with les Brains on this one. A lot of Hill's charm, particularly in his western movies, came from the comedic twist he gave his character. His acting was greatly restricted by the fact that neither he, nor his long time acting partner, Bud Spencer, could speak English. All of their lines were dubbed. So they had to do their best acting without speaking. When you watch their movies again, keep this mind.

As to 'Marche ou Creve', I'm still waiting for a really good Foreign Legion film to be made. There have been a couple of 'not bad' ones made in French, but I think there's a huge market for one in English.

Ciao,
                        Dan.
                        So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Do you count the various interpretations of Beau Geste?

Roughly same scenario. Tough training. Sadistic instructors. Lots of desert. Lots of marching. Final last stand in a lonely colonial outpost.

Comment

This is a list of films either about the Legion or with a Legion character theme:

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                            X