Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who has presented history the best (seeking persons)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who has presented history the best (seeking persons)

In reply to the thread "Best military historian?" I have opened this thread to ask, who do you wish to offer has presented military history the best?

I know of a few names, likely could dig up a few more, that have presented military history in ways that makes it more 'interesting' for lack of a better word.

Top of my list that I can recall is Walter Cronkite. Some might wish to spit on his name all for the simple fact he didn't sponsor the hindsight viewpoint of the Vietnam war.
    But I have several documentaries on dvd which he hosted, and the man is one of my favourites, and he lived through the times he reported on, something I can't claim. So my saying the man was clueless, hold as much water as me trying to tell one of our vets here what combat is like.
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

Joe Galloway.
    ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Laurence Olivier comes to mind as the narrator of The World at War - simply fantastic .

How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
      Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

Peter Ustinov narrated a number of history documentaries, as did Peter Graves and Leonard Nimoy.

One of the better modern narrators/hosts is Peter Weller.
        Last edited by Mountain Man; 16 Oct 09, 13:07.
        Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Mike Loades
          His series on Weapons That Made Britain Great is also truly exceptional . Much of it is on youtube .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Loades
          How to Talk to a Climate Skeptic: http://grist.org/series/skeptics/
          Global Warming & Climate Change Myths: https://www.skepticalscience.com/argument.php

Comment

I quite like the several series by Adam Hart Davies:
            What the Victorians Did For Us
            What the Romans Did For Us
            etc.

And also the series "Worst Job In The World:
            The Dark Ages
            The Middle Ages
            Tudor and Stuart
            Georgian
            Victorian

Comment

I liked actor/stuntman Peter Woodward's "Conquest" series. It really covered, hands on, a wide range of weapons and tactics from all time periods.
              Lance W.

Peace through superior firepower.

Comment

'Soldiers, A History of Men in Battle'

If you can still find it watch the entire series of 'Soldiers: A History of Men in Battle' presented by the author Frederick Forsyth. It's a BBC television documentary about the history of, well, men in battle. Each episode is a self-contained mini-history of a different subject, such as Infantry, Cavalry, Guerilla Warfare etc.

A companion book to the series was written by the historian John Keegan.

Very well done and expertly presented.

Cheers,
                Dan.
                So long as men worship the Caesars and Napoleons, Caesars and Napoleons will duly rise and make them miserable.

Aldous Huxley: Ends and Means (1937)

Comment

Michael Wood - In the Footsteps of Alexander

Comment

Yes. How could I have forgotten Michael Wood! Including one
                    of his best (and earliest?) In Search of the Trojan War .
                    And I believe an interesting series on journeys of the Conquistadors.

Comment

Originally posted by Mountain Man View Post
                      Peter Ustinov narrated a number of history documentaries,
                      I've always liked the "Wings of...." series,except for Wings of the Red Star, Ustinov's narration really bothered me and the writing felt too much like propaganda.
                      ALL LIVES SPLATTER!

BLACK JEEPS MATTER!

BLACK MOTORCYCLES MATTER!

Comment

Originally posted by Nick the Noodle View Post
                        Laurence Olivier comes to mind as the narrator of The World at War - simply fantastic .

Have to agree with you Nick, Laurence Olivier's voice was perfect to narrate a series on WW2, and the theme music! The most grim and melancholy music probably ever written, suitable score to history's greatest conflict.

Comment

Victory at Sea. Original film and Richard Rogers music can not be beat.
                          Also I really liked R.Lee Ermey's Mail Call. 'Gunny' did all kinds of things on it. Weapons of course but vehicles, uniforms, equipment from all sorts of times and places.
                          Last edited by McMax; 20 Oct 09, 19:02.

Comment

Although he's only done 2 doco's on war, I'll nominate Jeremy Clarkson as a great presenter.

His doco on the commando raid at St.Nazaire is superb and highly recommended viewing.
                            Today is a good day for someone else to die.

"That people can sleep peaceably in their beds is because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf" - George Orwell

Comment

How about Laurence Rees? His stuff on the Nazis is fantastic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X