Stargate Universe on the horizon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stargate Universe on the horizon

I am not entirely sure I am going to enjoy this.

One word, Voyager. Yep after watching a trailer, it seems fairly clear it's going to be a nearly unforgivable rip off.

Flung to the far side of the universe, in a ship, all alone and desperate, and seeing all sorts of worlds on the way to trying to get back home. Sound familiar?

CAN'T ANYONE THINK OF THEIR OWN DAMNED IDEAS ANYMORE!!!!!!
    Life is change. Built models for decades.
    Not sure anyone here actually knows the real me.
    I didn't for a long time either.

We are condeming based on the commercial! With that said, I thought it looked more like Voyager if it had been done by the guys who did the new Battlestar Galactica.

And the original SG jumped the shark when everyone started running around with star ships. Hey, that show was called Star Trek!
    Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

Originally posted by Roadkiller View Post
      We are condeming based on the commercial! With that said, I thought it looked more like Voyager if it had been done by the guys who did the new Battlestar Galactica.

And the original SG jumped the shark when everyone started running around with star ships. Hey, that show was called Star Trek!
      Can't fault you on all of that Loved SG1, but it likely stayed long. All that kept me were the actual actors, some of the plots were getting long in the tooth.

I mostly liked the new BSG, even after being so damned sure I would hate it. I wonder if I will be lucky enough to be wrong about SGU? Probably asking a lot to be that lucky twice.

Comment

I have been trying to avoid the previews and prejudging the show.

I know more about it from your posts than I did before. But I am still looking forward to the premiere on Friday (I may even watch it live! Something I haven't done in the 2 years since getting my DVR).

Sci-Fi has just as many hits as misses these days. I don't really know what to expect.
        History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
        _________
        BoRG

Comment

I too dread spin-offs, although Stargate Atlantis wasn't really all that bad.

But Roadkiller was right, I thought when all those starships and space fighters appeared, the appeal of Stargate got lost. The original premise constituted a major part of the show's appeal. The fun part was seeing how technologically backward humans find ways of bringing down the enemy using their knowledge and intelligence. Macguyver in space, if you will.

Comment

Barf! Gag! It's yet another mindless spin-off...Choke!
            Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

Just seen the trailers....
              It has a feel of BSG about it, with a group of space travellers attempting to find their way home.
              It seems more dark and grim than the old Stargate series, less humour...less fun

Comment

Well that was just weird (I refer to how I watched the 2 hour opener the old fashioned way, complete with commercials even).

Unsure of this show still. I measure a show based on how strong the characters come out, and not one of the characters showed any real strength last night.

The back and forth routine (time line before and after) shifting like it did is a bit confusing in a few spots. And I am not sure it really accomplished anything other than offer some cameo opportunities for old faces.

So everyone basically gets stuck running through a gate dialed to a 9th address location unplanned to arrive on a ship that has needed maintenance since the dawn of time currently plunging through space in a very far off location of the universe, and they leave us hanging with no indication of how or when the ship even manages to get sorted out if at all.

I think in 2 hours they might have accomplished more, might have had a more solid start and might have established a greater degree of direction.
                I'm not counting the show out, but, I am not yet ready to give a damn about it either.

Comment

Lost in Space redux?

Comment

Originally posted by Ogukuo72 View Post
                    Lost in Space redux?
                    Well it's true, there's only so many ways to do a thing, plots are after all fairly finite.

But I think it might be unfairly stretching to call it Lost in Space even though there certainly are similarities.

Comment

Originally posted by les Brains View Post
                      Well it's true, there's only so many ways to do a thing, plots are after all fairly finite.

But I think it might be unfairly stretching to call it Lost in Space even though there certainly are similarities.
                      Your first post pointed out the obvious similarity to Voyager. Now that you have seen the first episode (which I missed), do you still think it is a rip-off? I really liked Voyager, and don't want to watch a show that is an obvious copy, 'cause that will just **** me off.
                      Satis elouquentiae sapientiae parum

Diadochi Wars GAME:http://www.armchairgeneral.com/forum...d.php?t=140484

Comment

To be honest, as I type, following the opening show, I am saying even if it IS a clone plot, the worst thing I can say is it lacked forward momentum.

Not one personality came out of the starting gate strong. There isn't one character I found 'interesting'.

The back and forth aspect was I think poorly done, and only used up valuable critical show time. Only served to give some old faces cameos.

The show ended with nothing concrete having been established. I am unsure they have reached the destination yet or are still in transit. The ship is still an unknown.
                        Frankly the hook is not set in this show. They have not landed this viewer yet.

I think being a Voyager rip off is currently the least of it's troubles.

Comment

I watched the pilot episode for as long as I could stand it. Pure, spin-off junk, a combination of Lost In Space and the rejected episodes of earlier Stargate spin-offs.
                          Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes? Who is watching the watchers?

Comment

I wasn't going to comment as I didn't watch the entire program. I felt it wouldn't be a fair review.

But I guess it really is. I sat down to watch the show, then my interest wandered to the laptop I have next to my favourite chair (I think I may have surfed to ACG ), then I got lost in what was happening on the TV and changed channels to something else.

Ho Hum ...
                            Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics.

Comment

I ended up having to DVR it. Just finished watching it. Intrigued. Will tune in for at least a couple more episodes.

The fact that they didn't wrap this up in a nice, neat little story was actually a good thing in my book. If this ends up being more like BSG than SG-1, that will be an improvement. I prefer my shows to have an on-going narrative with actual consequences to actions.

But who knows if this is really thought out well?

I think the Lt. Scott character is especially weak. But maybe that is intended? He already has a girlfriend that he doesn't respect. And a position that he doesn't take seriously (why else would he be having sex with a woman under his command?). And he instantly falls for the Senator's daughter and becomes a confidant in a moment?

And what was with the Lou Diamond Phillips cameo? Or is it too obvious that he is the character looking down on everyone through the railing in the gate room?
                              History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon. Napoleon Bonaparte
                              _________
                              BoRG

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Working...
                              X